Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
I was paid, and then told not to cash the check.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by KathiAZ on 10/2/07 1:46pm
Msg #214276

Because the account did not have any funds in it, and if I deposit it, I will be charged a fee from my bank.
If I go to the bank it was issued from, will they cash it, or tell me it is no good?
What options do I have?
Any insights?
TIA for any and all suggestions.

Reply by cassiewi on 10/2/07 1:48pm
Msg #214277

In my opinion, if you go to the bank it was drawn on, they will either cash it for you or tell you there aren't sufficient funds. Of course, this only works if you have a branch of this bank in your area. I once got a bad check, but I would have had to go to IL to cash it as there was no branch here in Wisconsin. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/2/07 1:49pm
Msg #214278

I would go to the bank that it is drawn on, if there are funds there they will cash it, however if you do not bank with them, they may charge you a fee to cash it. But at least you would have most of the payment.

Reply by LisaWI on 10/2/07 1:52pm
Msg #214281

Re: This just happened to me......

and I had to pin the company down on when a new check would be issued. Thats all I could see that could be done for mine.
Was it a cancelled loan? Or is a company that owes you alot on many signings? If it was the first, I would call them and find out when a new check can be issued and if its the latter I would take it to their bank and see if the funds are good.

Reply by KathiAZ on 10/2/07 2:02pm
Msg #214282

Re: This just happened to me......

Yes, the loan canceled, and I guess they think I don't need to be paid. The bank is in CA, and i will be there is a few weeks.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/2/07 2:16pm
Msg #214285

Cancelled or Not Services Rendered

Cash the check or demand guaranteed funds replacement. Your fee does not hinge off the fact that the loan cancelled or not.

I let all companies (SS, TC or Lenders) know my fee is fully earned once I get in my car to go to it.

Reply by MonicaFL on 10/2/07 5:54pm
Msg #214330

I would ask them - if you knew there wasn't enough money in the account, then why did you issue the check? Then I would tell them that you expect a cashier's check or money order in three days or you will deposit the check and when it bounces you will then turn it over to the authorities and have them arrested for writing bad checks. I think this might be, but am not all 100% sure, but it might be considered a felony if they are convicted. Just my own opinion. I am not an attorney and my statement is not be be construed as legal advice. Also, if they sent you any kind of note with the check stating not to cash the check, be sure and save that as that is excellent evidence to have on your part.

Reply by Marie_MD on 10/2/07 8:41pm
Msg #214363

The law is different in each state in MD the check has to be over $500 to be a felony

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.