Notary Rotary
In need of help, desperate!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by LC/FL on 10/2/07 8:49pm
Msg #214364

Ok guys, I am desperate so I feel that my best hope is to ask those in training to see if they can help find ways to help me.....
I worked for a company for 8 years, and left after proper notice due to being commanded to do/perform illegal activities. As a notary I was COMMANDED to perform notarial acts without having witnessed the signing and after several heated arguements and other issues of the same sort I left. I got screwed out of 6 weeks of pay because they held back 4 weeks and 2 weeks of vacation, then refused to pay me. But then I went to work for another company wherein I went to work for a maniacal screaming banshee as her office manager, she promised a pay raise in 90 days, didnt do so, then hired another employee to abuse me, when he refused after a few weeks to continue as he realized what she was doing, she replaced him with another. This woman physically battered me, then for the last 5 weeks has verbally, emotionally and in writing battered me. My service animal is all that has kept me sane as I was in a car wreck about 19 years ago and refuse to take drugs to control the overwhelming anxiety attacks when I am attacks.

Guys I need help, I need all the legal data you can dig up that will help me make this employer understand that she is breaking the law and help me defend myself legally and rightfully against these physical, verbal, emotional and written attacks. I would be forever grateful!

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/2/07 8:56pm
Msg #214365

Document like crazy. Save the written threats. Make note of time and date of others. Any witnesses to the physical abuse? The verbal abuse? Go over her head with it. Get the guy that refused to comply with her to support you. If going over her head doesn't work, I would get an attorney. I would also bring up the previous employers behavior as well.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 10/2/07 8:58pm
Msg #214367

This is an easy one, file a complaint with the EEOC, they've got a website. If they investigate and think you have a valid claim...easy street for you. Document, save everything, keep your head down and your mouth quiet...FILE A COMPLAINT

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 9:01pm
Msg #214369

please provide web site if you have it, I am truly desperate.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 10/2/07 9:06pm
Msg #214371

http://www.eeoc.gov/ n/m

Reply by dickb/wi on 10/3/07 1:09pm
Msg #214521

you most likely will also have an eeoc in......

your local city or in the county........most areas do........look it up in the local govt section of your phone book or go to the county clerk who can provide the info to you.....

Reply by SShoreDude on 10/3/07 8:10am
Msg #214415

hire an attorney, n/m

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 8:45am
Msg #214418

Re: hire an attorney,

what is n/m

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/3/07 11:23am
Msg #214486

N/M=no message. There's no message beyond the subject line. n/m

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 12:19pm
Msg #214499

Re: N/M=no message. There's no message beyond the subject line.

thank you Smile

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/3/07 1:40pm
Msg #214538

If you type your short messages, like "Thank you," in the

subject line, lazy people like me are saved from having to click on your post. :-)

Reply by Roger_OH on 10/2/07 9:02pm
Msg #214370

Harassment is illegal. File a complaint with the closest EEOC office or on their website, and they will investigate. Be prepared, however, with documentation, witnesses, etc.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 9:00pm
Msg #214368

I have spoken to an attorney, even called the police. They advised at first NOT to do anything unless it persisted, told me what to look for. Now that the verbal, emotional and written are occurring I persisted that the police make the report. But I am dumbfounded, how does someone get away with abusing an employee like this and it seems that nothing can be done to them. Any thoughts on any particular legal avenues to pursue???

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 9:08pm
Msg #214372

Find a lawyer, NOW!

Reply by SueW/Tn on 10/2/07 9:09pm
Msg #214373

Why pay a lawyer when the EEOC is free????? n/m

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 9:20pm
Msg #214377

Re: Why pay a lawyer when the EEOC is free?????

Because the EEOC receives thousands of complaints. They are overwhelmed. In addition, the Bush Admin has decimated the agencies mandated to protect employees. They are not necessarily your friend. Look, I've been through this. File with the EEOC ... get a good labor/employment lawyer with experience in these matters. He/she is likely to recommend (remember, I am not an attorney) that you request a private right of action to sue in federal or state court depending on whose process will protect you better. In any event, she should not go ahead without a lawyer working for HER. Period.

I was also a union rep. This is not something to leave to an under paid government attorney.

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 9:20pm
Msg #214378

Because the EEOC receives thousands of complaints. They are overwhelmed. In addition, the Bush Admin has decimated the agencies mandated to protect employees. They are not necessarily your friend. Look, I've been through this. File with the EEOC ... get a good labor/employment lawyer with experience in these matters. He/she is likely to recommend (remember, I am not an attorney) that you request a private right of action to sue in federal or state court depending on whose process will protect you better. In any event, she should not go ahead without a lawyer working for HER. Period.

I was also a union rep. This is not something to leave to an under paid government attorney.

Reply by DonR_NYC on 10/2/07 9:53pm
Msg #214384

Also try the Florida Commission of Human Rights at: http://fchr.state.fl.us/

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 9:10pm
Msg #214374

I am looking on the eeoc site but dont find anything against workplace bullying. I have found other sites but they only talk about how to talk your way out of it or deal with them. I WANT TO STOP IT. I am not the only employee that has been battered, and another was propositioned in front of his wife, and others have been screamed at and cursed.

It is just too much and I am ready to crack!

Please be sure to send me any info you can possibly find and I DO APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS ARE SENDING AND WILL CHECK OUT EVERY AVENUE.

Thank you, Liza

Reply by SueW/Tn on 10/2/07 9:15pm
Msg #214375

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your complaint...it's against federal law to discriminate, to sexually harrass, etc. The EEOC is a federal arm of the government who will read your complaint and IF it falls under the laws of this country they WILL bring your employer down and fine them big time! They will also force a settlement with you. Using terms like "battered" means they've physically attacked you? If so you can have them arrested for battery.

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 9:21pm
Msg #214379

No they will not! n/m

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 9:22pm
Msg #214380

I called the police about the battery and they suggested that I wait to file a report to see if it occurred again but warned me that it could manifest in other ways, such as verbal, emotional and in written format. If it did, then I was to file the police report immediately. I have done so and am waiting for the report so that I can go to the judge and ask for an injuction against her. But, the judge will decide whether or not I will actually get it. I know some of the witnesses will not stand up as this person makes her rounds with the abuse and although I have stopped it on them, no one ever steps up to stop it against me. As the office manager I have accepted that the owner is a screamer and just let her scream at me instead of my staff, but I wont take it from this stupid jerk that doesnt even know what she is doing. She is also trying to intercept legal information that is crucial to the cases I am working on and demanding I disseminate information to her that is not relevant to her. I have again called an attorney and am awaiting their return call.

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 10/2/07 9:18pm
Msg #214376

Liza, please read this

http://www.nela.org/NELA/ is the link to the National Employment Lawyers Association. I have personal experience with the former President, Douglas Hedin, and can assure you that you're not crazy or going to crack up.
What you've described is abuse. Period.
The following attorney is in Jacksonville and specializes in EEOC filings as well as discrimination. I URGE YOU to call him first thing in the a.m. and describe what you've told us here on the forum.
J. Eric Jones, Attorney at Law
The Jones Law Firm, PA
550 Water Street
Suite 1140
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Tel: (904) 354-2007
Email: [e-mail address]

FYI, I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice, nor do I endorse the above atty. as I have no personal knowledge of his work.

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 9:22pm
Msg #214381

Ditto! n/m

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 9:25pm
Msg #214382

Re: Liza, please read this

I will call them tomorrow for sure. I appreciate ALL of your help, research or whatever you can provide ( I am a paralegal as well ) and continually scan the laws and other cases for paralel suits for reference and guidance.

I will keep you all posted and if you find anything PLEASE email me at [e-mail address].

God Bless YOU ALL!

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/2/07 9:52pm
Msg #214383

Why do you stay?

I'd certainly take care of what needs to be done, than hightail it out. Ain't no job worth this.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/2/07 10:08pm
Msg #214385

Re: Why do you stay?

just in case no one has noticed, jobs are not growing on trees. do you have all the work you need to make your bills? i dont and work almost 18 hours per day. i dont have a choice. i sure wish i did. but 2 jobs and they are both the same.

Reply by Roger Proctor Sr on 10/2/07 11:13pm
Msg #214389

jobs are scarce in this day and time but I would be darn if I would stand by and let anybody physically abuse me. If she is as bad as you say she is I would think that you are not the only victim of her abuse and maybe others would be willing to come forward and support your claims. Do all the things everyone else has posted here then if that doesn't work the next time she physically abuses you knock the crap out of her no job is worth putting up with what you have described.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 7:26am
Msg #214406

I plan to be on the phone a good bit today about this and hope to post good news, yes I have considered just knocking her teeth out BUT I am 48 years old and I have worked since I was 15 and have NEVER had a mark against me professionally, really didnt WANT to start now, you know

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 9:03am
Msg #214422

Re: Liza, please read this

I was told by the receptionist that this attorney charges $100 for the first consultation (I dont have) and that is for all EEOC cases. So unless the employers here DO get away with exactly what I said they do, everyone doesnt have the money to pay attorney's. Then when the employers dont do what they are supposed to, you are screwed.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 10/2/07 10:23pm
Msg #214386

Others have posted great leads for you to find help, but here's what's missing and what concerns me the most:

If you are actually being subjected to physical abuse, you need to get yourself out of that situation as quickly as possible for your own safety. Don't wait for the cops or the lawyers to do something about it, and don't wait for suggestions from us - remove yourself from danger, and deal with it from a safe distance. That may be a difficult thing to do if this is your primary source of income, but physical abuse will ALWAYS escalate - it ain't going to get any better if you just try to tough it out...

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 7:28am
Msg #214408

I understand that, and thankfully (ugh) I have a plumbing issue at home that has me working from home for 4 days so I am able to work on this privately without her interference and ongoing abuse. It HAS happened to others, physical and verbal, but everyone else is afraid of her, sadly I am NOT I AM afraid that if I ever started on her I would stomp her but good.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 7:41am
Msg #214410

Can't your ex-armed guard help you with this woman?

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 7:43am
Msg #214412

the ex-armed guard is my mother, now aged 72, not capable of a good scrap anymore, but understands confidentiality and still coherent.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/3/07 8:07am
Msg #214414

Everyone else in this thread is so helpful and here I come. This person sounds like a chronic victim to me. Who gets 'screwed out of 6 weeks pay?' Every state has an agency that oversees this type situation - why didn't she contact them. Up here, not sure of the agencies name, but I know it's quick and clean. Who would have worked 4 weeks at a 'real' job without their pay check? I understand if they didn't give you your vacation pay when leaving that may be an issue but why would anyone work and not receive their weekly pay check?

Onto a new job with 'issues'. Physical abuse on a job? Get real. I cannot imagine the majority of people would stay even one minute at a job where they have been pushed, shoved, hit, or whatever happened to constitute 'physical battering'. Why didn't you call the police immediately when it happened?

A lawyer is telling you to wait? None of the lawyers I know would have their client continue to work in a situation where there is physical abuse.

If terrible things happen, you cut your loss and then if you so desire decide to take action. You say you have 'overwhelming anxiety attacks'. Perhaps some of these problems are the result of your own actions.

Quit your job and file for unemployment. If there was physical abuse, you should win, hands down. Not an abundance of jobs? Sure there are. Maybe not jobs any of us really want to do but there are plenty of jobs for those willing to work when times are tough.

I am a big stickler for sticking up for yourself and taking action. I'm not a big fan of 'victims' although certainly there are some situations where people get blindsided.

Also agree with whoever else in the thread said to get yoru own lawyer - I would have them guide me through any process - if you use only a governmental agency as they said they've got scads of cases and you get what you pay for -pay someone to look out for your own interests.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 8:52am
Msg #214420

Thank you for your response, however, I have contacted every freaking agency I can find about the loss of pay, I showed the boss where I was due the money, cost me hundreds with ordering back bank statements; but the boss changed the pay period 5 times in 8 months!!! To which the State of Florida says it is a right to work state, so what!!! Hopefully you wont fall off of your high horse. I can provide the names of the companies I have contacted including the wage and hour board (which by the way, took almost 3 months to return my call!!!) This particular job only paid once per month on the 1st. And they held a month, this after 5 years on the job and all the payroll changes.

I do have an attorney working on the wage thing, but I wanted to provide a history of how employeers in FL will screw people. I personally know of another case where someone was hired at $10 per hour, worked for 4 weeks (2 weeks held back) got all 4 weeks of pay at one time at the minimum wage rate and was let go. This person contacted W&H and was told they are only REQUIRED to pay min wage!

So..... save your accusations until you ask more questions and know more about the subject you are spouting off about.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 10/3/07 9:04am
Msg #214424

For someone seeking help, you seem to have a lot of misdirected anger. Good luck.

Harry

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 9:13am
Msg #214427

no, just dont like some of the statements, angry, not at all. just think before conclusions are determined more details would be applicable.

however, i have contacted EVERY agency listed here and the attorney as well, nothing so far! angry, no.... frustrated with those that choose to judge me when they dont have a clue at how many times i have contacted others and who all i have contacted and just havent had someone beating my door down offering me another job (putting in apps daily) and hopeful but the facts are things are down right now and not a lot of hiring going on. so i pray and i keep looking and i try to endure in the christian manner i was taught, while asking if anyone else knows of an avenue i may not have tried.

but thank you for the wish for luck, i do appreciate it and if you are aware of an avenue i have not attempted, please advise.

Reply by maddieNJ on 10/3/07 9:26am
Msg #214434

Why is this thread even on the "Discuss Work" board? n/m

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 9:30am
Msg #214437

Re: Why is this thread even on the "Discuss Work" board?

because I really needed help, and got some great responses as well as some not, but I was willing to try everything.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/5/07 2:45am
Msg #214918

My apologies if this has already been mentioned (I've chosen to not read this whole thread...), but have you tried your state's social services? In addition to an attorney, after all you've been through, it might be wise to see a counselor. An objective third party might have some new suggestions regarding positive steps you could take to deal with where you are now and to get your life going in a direction without so much conflict and stirfe. They also might be able to help you cope with all the difficult emotions that arise from dealing with situations such as those you've described. This is a sincere recommendation, with no sarcasm intended.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 9:36am
Msg #214438

"but I wanted to provide a history of how employeers in FL will screw people."

There are always some employers in every state that will screw the employee.
I agree your story is bad, but it is in no way a history of how employers in FL will screw people.
It is a history of how you got screwed.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 9:56am
Msg #214448

agreed, i stand corrected, i guess i am just lucky Frown enough to have had it happen twice.

Reply by Doris_CO on 10/3/07 10:33am
Msg #214473

Maybe this site is a better sounding board then NotaryRotary.

http://chat.lawinfo.com/search.php?searchid=240800

There have been some good suggestions which you have knocked down each time. A support group I used to belong to had a statement - "Blaming Keeps you Helpless". Until you become accountable to yourself nothing will change in your situation. If someone has been physically abusive to you, you have the right to file charges for battery. It doesn't matter if that person is a friend, relative or employer.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 10:41am
Msg #214475

Doris, hadnt knocked them down, but have tried every avenue given to me. Some just didnt pan out. My purpose of asking notaries is wondering if any of them had ever been threatened for refusing to notarize something and to pick their brains about avenues I may not have heard of or tried.

I HAVE filed a police report, I HAVE contacted an attorney, the labor board, EEOC and am now awaiting a copy of the police report to acquire an injunction.

So, please, dont accuse me of 'asking for it', I just cant afford to quit with no avenues of income, I have bills to pay and am disabled and require a service animal. I work anyway because I was shot down for disability, (told I can still walk) so I keep trying. I am not a quitter, but I am seriously tired of batting my head against a brick wall.

I blame no one for what has happened to me except my naivity in believing that people are good and have found it to be otherwise, and I become harder by the second! After being seriously injured in an attack, stabbed, shot at and emotionally traumatized at 18 I have come a very long way in defending myself. I have no naive beliefs left! I trust NO ONE, I depend on NO ONE and I have no problem defending myself; however, in the workplace I should not HAVE to take off my boots and kick butt!!! NO?

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/3/07 6:50pm
Msg #214630

Its why

I asked if this was for real. Her call to the local EEOC has me a bit suspicious ... saying that its not harassment because no law requires employers to be "nice" ... its happened with two consecutive employers ... what, florida employers are that terrible?

Reply by Vince/FL on 10/3/07 10:22am
Msg #214462

Have you thought of contacting Legal Aid? I know they're usually overwhelmed, but it may be worth a try. Another suggestion would be to check the yellow pages for an attorney who offers a free initial consultation.

As far as the company that owes you back pay, maybe small claims court would be the way to go.

Good luck!

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 10:29am
Msg #214469

good thought, will look into that as well

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.