Notary Rotary
Incorrect County on Notarization...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by JenCA on 10/12/07 6:42am
Msg #216163

I did a search and looked through the handbook but would like "real-life" feedback, if this has occurred to anyone. I wrote in the wrong county on the notarization wording so I crossed out and wrote the correct one and only I initialed it...was that correct?

Any feedback would be great. TIA

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/12/07 7:11am
Msg #216164

IMHO, yes. You were correct.

I'm not even sure that the initialing was necessary, but I'd have done it.

Reply by pan/nd on 10/12/07 9:47am
Msg #216185

You did what I would have done.

Reply by janCA on 10/12/07 10:08am
Msg #216189

Whatever county you are notarizing in, is the county that should be on your ack/jurat. I always initialize, but remember, that ack/jurat wording is your domain. It has to be state compliant and that is up to you, the notary.

Reply by GLRMbile on 10/12/07 10:13am
Msg #216190

Could you have pulled a clean copy from Borrowers docs? n/m

Reply by JenCA on 10/12/07 10:17am
Msg #216192

Re: Could you have pulled a clean copy from Borrowers docs?

LOL... Ok so I did pull the borrowers copy, and when I stamped it... there was something under the paper that I didnt see that did not allow a full stamp!!! I was like are you kidding me!!!. I was like crap this is why I need a printer in my trunk!!!

But thank you all for your opinions and feedback, I thought what I did was correct but I really value the experience and opinions from this board. Have a Happy Friday!!!

Reply by JenCA on 10/12/07 10:19am
Msg #216193

I forgot what county I was in... I notarize documents day in and day out in Placer County, and literally forgot and didnt realize where I was!!! Just a comfort thing, you know like when the year changes and your still writing the previous year... same kinda deal, I am just hppy that I caught it.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 10/12/07 10:24am
Msg #216194

Know what you mean. Sometimes, as a precautionary measure, I'll ask the borrower "this is ______ County, right?"

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/12/07 10:29am
Msg #216196

I asked the borrower once what county we were in, and he said it depended on which half of the house we were in! His house was at the county line! Hmm I wonder how he paid his county property taxes............................

Reply by Yoli/CA on 10/12/07 10:35am
Msg #216197

Good question! Here we have people living on a street where one side of street is one town and other side of street is another town; same county though. Different mayors, different police ... confusing, I would think.

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/12/07 6:25pm
Msg #216302

Never heard that one before. I'd say they paid it to whatever county was listed on the legal description. I could have some fun with phone solicitors. "May I speak to your wife?" "Well, she's in another county right now."

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/13/07 3:42am
Msg #216340

Wish I had a hundred bucks for every time I've done that myself! I've also seen the incorrect information preprinted on the docs many a time. No choice but to line it out and fix it. (And yes, I initial it.)

Reply by MonicaFL on 10/12/07 11:16am
Msg #216206

Life can be confusing. I live in one county and there are two counties surrounding me - some of the homes in my community are in Lake County, some are in Sumter County and some are in Marion County. (This is a retirement community with approximately 60,000 people) I always have to ask - I could go down the street and be in Lake county and go up the street and be in Marion County and go across the street and be in Sumter!!!! I ALWAYS ask what county we are in - If I would ever get a respond like "depending on which part of the house we are in" I would have asked, well which county are we sitting in and go from there.

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 10/12/07 12:44pm
Msg #216219

Usually the county of record for the property is on the documents and if you are sitting in that residence that is being refi'd or Heloc'd or whatever, that is the county I would be putting on the docs that I notarize.

Course if you aren't then the other suggestions all apply.

tannis zamora TN

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.