Notary Rotary
LandAmerica OneStop
Notary Discussion History

LandAmerica OneStop
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by SheilaSJCA on 10/18/07 12:14pm
Msg #217148

LandAmerica OneStop

I turned down an $85.00 e-docs in 95111, I know they found somebody. How anyone can do E-docs with faxbacks for that is beyond me! Who ever you are, you obviously think you are making money by doing so, think again...

Reply by laurielnc on 10/18/07 4:55pm
Msg #217195

I just got a call for $40.00 base fee and $20.00 e-docs. Told her my price and she didn't try to come up. Someone will do it but not me.

Reply by WDMD on 10/18/07 6:29pm
Msg #217200

LandAm and FASS never cease to amaze me. They rake in hundreds of dollars in closing fees and then only can part with the pittance they offer. I understand that those they use here in Maryland who will accept those fees do not have the expenses those of us licensed have, but even those folks have got to understand they are working for slave wages. Then again, maybe they don't. JMHO.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 10/18/07 6:53pm
Msg #217209

You can't work in Md without a license so they are making dishwasher salary

Reply by WDMD on 10/18/07 7:01pm
Msg #217213

"You can't work in Md without a license............."

You don't really believe that do you? I know of a couple of un- licensed notaries in my area who claim they get plenty of work from the big boys. I have no proof, otherwise I'd turn them in.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/18/07 7:07pm
Msg #217215

I agree with WDMD. I live in a border county and if I were so inclined I could do quite a bit of work in MD. I tell them I can't cross state lines and I don't have a title producers license. Few seem to care. I used to give them the name and number of a MD colleague and say that he had his title producer's license. Can't count the number of times I was told they don't need 'all that', just a notary. Now I give his name and number, period.

Reply by Yowheelz on 10/18/07 9:14pm
Msg #217227

Land Americia bought out Nationwide Apprasials. Its crazy but I get one call form LandAm and they pay the $125 I request. The very next call from LandAm wants to pay me 40 and tells me they can't pay anymore. Its weird but I think it depends on what location calls you. IE a former Nationwide Apprasial or an existing LandAm. I am in MD and I do know notaries betting on the fact that no title insurance is in the loan. MD requires a title producers license if the loan has or MAY result in the issuance of title insurance. That MAy is a tricky word. I myself wouldn't take the chance but there are many out there who will. It is my understanding that the MD Insurance Commission has started in the most populated areas of the state checking on unlicensed Notaries doing mortgage closings. Unfortunately the State did not send out any notice to notaries of the new law when it took effect and there are still many out there that don't even know the law exists.

Reply by gcn3 on 10/18/07 9:30pm
Msg #217231

Good luck getting paid. I have an invoice over 60 days. In trying to collect I was told they did not recognize the order number as theirs. I sent back a completed copy of their instructions - we'll see if they recognize those. I liked the "good old days" when I wasn't making collection calls everyday.

Reply by firegirl on 10/18/07 9:32pm
Msg #217232

Maryland TPL

How much trouble would it really be for the SOS to send out notices advising of the law change that took place in 10/06? That's the government for you.

It wouldn't stop the dishonest people though. It's a case of don't ask/don't tell. Not that many companies really ask for it, especially small signing services.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 10/19/07 10:28am
Msg #217285

Re: Maryland TPL

Maryland licensing was required earlier than 2006. I've been licensed since 2002 and I think the law was enacted then. 2006 was when they told us to carry a fidelity bond now they changed their minds and state they misguided us the Title company has to cover us.

Reply by WDMD on 10/19/07 8:03am
Msg #217257

"there are still many out there that don't even know the law exists."

If they ever read their notary handbook they would know it exists. Pleading ignorance is not an excuse. Hopefully what Firegirl said is true about MIA starting to investigate. It would not be hard at all for them to prove illegal activity. They could do just like the IRS does and set up a fake appointment with an un-licensed notary. Simple as that. Personally I would rather see them crack down on the big title companies who ignore the law so they get someone to accept the lowball fees.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/19/07 9:47am
Msg #217277

"If they ever read their notary handbook they would know it exists"

I wonder how many notaries actually read their notary handbook??? How many times do we see basic notary questions on here that would have been answered by the poster reading his/her notary handbook?

Reply by WDMD on 10/19/07 9:58am
Msg #217279

"I wonder how many notaries actually read their notary handbook??? "

You have a point Sylvia. Still does not excuse them. Sort of like if I don't see the speed limit sign then I should be able to drive as fast as I want. I don't think most of those un-licensed notaries are as unaware as some think they are. The ones I know who do this are well aware they need to be licensed. Their reasoning is they get plenty of work from the big boys why pay to be licensed? They actually told me I was the fool for doing it the right way. We shall see I guess.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/19/07 10:15am
Msg #217283

"You have a point Sylvia. Still does not excuse them"

Yes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"Their reasoning is they get plenty of work from the big boys why pay to be licensed? They actually told me I was the fool for doing it the right way. We shall see I guess."

Will they still see it the same way when their commission is taken away from them for perfoming illegal acts?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 10/19/07 10:25am
Msg #217284

That's hard to believe the Title companies licensed to do business in the state of Md were sent a bulletin requiring everyone to be licensed or suffer criminal consequences.

Reply by Alice/MD on 10/19/07 11:12am
Msg #217301

I often ask lenders, title companies and Signing company if they are aware of the law that they are to use only title insurance producers/notary in the state of Maryland. I tell them that they are breaking the law. They know they can get cheaper notaries without the license. They just say nothing to my statement.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.