Notary Rotary
Land Options
Notary Discussion History

Land Options
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Zora Malich on 10/10/07 11:39am
Msg #215807

Land Options

I just got called for a signing tonight in Cranberry Twp., PA. Not sure if I should go. I know they don't pay but can they spread the word that I turned down an assignment at the last minute. Although they called me at the last minute. Should I tell them why I don't want to go or should I make up a story? Can anyone help?

Reply by slc on 10/10/07 11:44am
Msg #215809

I feel for ya! I was thinking about what I would do in your same circumstance. How about calling and letting them know your concern and ask that due to this, would they be willing to put you on the HUD? (we all know that the HUD is the last thing ready so it should be possible) Let us know how it goes.

Reply by Zora Malich on 10/10/07 11:49am
Msg #215811

well, I left Leah at Land Options a message and explained my concern. Let's see what she says. I asked that she provide some way to reassure me that I will get paid for this job. Thanks for the advice slc.

Reply by Kathy/ID on 10/10/07 12:37pm
Msg #215815

I would tell them of your concern and maybe ask if they will pay you up front via Paypal. This way you would have your money.

Reply by Zora Malich on 10/10/07 12:46pm
Msg #215816

I just spoke with Leah who sent me the package and she reassured me I would get paid and to include an invoice in the package. She explained that they were having problems with Accts. payable and everything has been resolved. They fired the girl who was doing accts. payable. They are trying to catch up with old invoices. I'm going to do this signing and take my chances because I need the money and the market is extremely slow. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/10/07 1:09pm
Msg #215818

The old, "we fired the accts payable girl" trick huh? How many times have we all heard that one? I'd make her put me on the HUD before I'd agree to anything, but that's just me.
Good luck!

Reply by katwoodx2/RI on 10/10/07 1:09pm
Msg #215819

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out. I'm glad you were honest with them about your concerns; honesty is the basis of our profession, after all. Plus, it put the company on notice that the word is out that their reputation is not the best with regard to paying vendors.
Kat

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/10/07 1:59pm
Msg #215829

This was posted 2 threads below yours:

"My blood is boiling with Landoptions. They owe me $925.00 and I get the run-around from the accounting department, the receiptionist AND the owner."

And the other poster is right, "problems with the accounting department" is right up there with "the check is in the mail". It sounds to me like they're giving you their standard runaround answers in advance. Personally, I wouldn't do it, doing free signings in a slow market hardly improves my financial situation.

And giving back a signing hours before the scheduled appointment time is hardly "last minute". And even if it is last minute, who cares? These companies earn their bad reputations, they have to deal with the consequences.

Running your business based on fear is a very bad idea. You're just setting yourself up to be taken advantage of repeatedly.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/10/07 2:06pm
Msg #215831

Plus they get paid anyway!!!

Reply by Zora Malich on 10/10/07 7:13pm
Msg #215873

I did it. Let's see what happens. I don't have a problem suing them if I have to.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/10/07 7:55pm
Msg #215880

Hope it works out for you and you do get payment.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 10/11/07 10:07am
Msg #215940

What?

You don't have a problem with suing them? It has been said over and over again that there are payment problems with this company and that is your solution? No wonder so many people keep these companies in business. Did you actually write this "solution" out in your business plan? I personally do not like to have to chase money that I have already earned. Especially when I go into it with my eyes wide open and know that they have a horrible reputation.

Actually we should be grateful as a whole, when we get signing agents like this. They never stay in business for long and wonder why they couldn't make a living being self-employed. Do your homework. Do your homework. Do your homework. Then take the time to make out a business plan and stick to it when the deadbeats call. Dang it, treat this industry like a business. That is . . . unless you like charity work. I personally love it, but not to crooked companies. I pick and chose much more carefully than this.

Good luck to you. You will need it with this kind of business stragegy.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/11/07 10:19am
Msg #215947

Re: What?

this type thinking also cracks me up. Does this girl actually think that the schedulers have control over payment - or perhaps payment issues are dealt with at the top level of the company. Blaming late payments for a year or more on the girl writing the checks cracks me up - or perhaps again, the person at the top, dictates when the money gets paid out.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.