Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
NOW HEAR THIS...PA NOTARIES....BIG FYI...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by PA_Notary_II on 10/8/07 1:47pm
Msg #215443

Effective November 10, 2007 motorists in the state of Pennsylvania will be prohibited from using handheld mobile telephones while operating a vehicle. The Bill (House Bill No. 1827) amends Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes and was passed on September 11, 2007.

The Bill states that "No driver shall operate any moving vehicle on a highway of this Commonwealth, which shall include Federal, State and municipal highways, while using a handheld mobile telephone."

The term "handheld mobile telephone" is defined by the bill as:
A mobile telephone other than a hands-free mobile telephone with which a user engages in a call using at least one hand.

It also defines hands-free mobile telephone as follows:
A mobile telephone that has an internal feature or function, or that is equipped with an attachment or addition, whether or not permanently part of such mobile telephone, by which a user engages in a call without the use of either hand, whether or not the use of either hand is necessary to activate, deactivate or initiate a function of such telephone.

The new law does not apply, however to the following, when on duty and acting in their official capacities:
· Law Enforcement Officers
· Operators of Emergency Vehicles

The bill also mentions that defensible actions for the use of a handheld mobile telephone will be:
· The driver had reason to fear for the driver's safety
· Reporting a traffic accident
· Making a 911 emergency call

A person who is found to be in violation of this section commits a summary offense and upon conviction, will be sentenced to pay a $50 fine.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/8/07 1:51pm
Msg #215444

I am afraid that more states will be adopting something along these lines, TX is already had a bill or two before, but none have passed, not because the TX Government didn't want to pass this, but because the bills were attached to something that was not wanted. So it failed both times. But I am sure that it will be presented again in the next session, and prolly will pass if not attached once again to a bill that is not wanted!

Reply by sue_pa on 10/8/07 2:56pm
Msg #215453

are you sure? Just last week our paper had a big article on this. Isn't this just one of several proposals milling about Hbg?

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 10/8/07 3:44pm
Msg #215472

Still in the House. . .

Last Action: Referred to TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE, Sept. 11, 2007 [House]

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 10/8/07 4:31pm
Msg #215480

My car has a bluetooth built in. Activate right on the,,,,

steering wheel , talk to the windshield and listen through your radio speakers. .
Complies with a similiar Chicago ordinance and works great.
Much better than an in-phone speaker.
Person on other end does not know that I am not holding phone in my hand.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.