Notary Rotary
NorthStar out of Huntington Beach CA asking for "spare" ackn
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Rose/CA on 10/6/07 1:22pm
Msg #215234

I have a signing request from NorthStar but their instructions have asked that I include an "extra" acknowledgement...which sounds to me like a blank check since every acknowledgement must be tied to a specific act and must be reported in my journal...has anyone had a similar request? My search for this company indicates they pay on time...

Reply by dickb/wi on 10/6/07 1:26pm
Msg #215237

NO SPARE ACKS.....yes i am yelling it out..NO NO NO.... n/m

Reply by GF_CA on 10/6/07 1:42pm
Msg #215241

Ignore it!

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/6/07 2:03pm
Msg #215245

asking for "spare" ackn

I always comply with this..... by sending a totally blank ack. no stamp, no signatures, NOTHING written on it at all. It's a 'spare' ack. or even a "blank" ack. if they ask for one.

NEVER send a signed, stamped 'spare' acknowledgment to ANYONE. Unless, of course, you want to give up your commission.

My .02

Reply by Rose/CA on 10/6/07 2:20pm
Msg #215249

Re: asking for "spare" ackn

I have told them "no: to the signing. thanks for underlining what I thought.

Reply by Cam/CA on 10/6/07 2:28pm
Msg #215252

Some Notaries do... had a spilt signing last week from a

well known company who always sends an "extra" acknowledgement for you to fill in. Opened the package, and lo an behold the first notary complied with their request.

Reply by dickb/wi on 10/6/07 3:32pm
Msg #215257

OMG...what next?....... n/m

Reply by Rose/CA on 10/6/07 4:33pm
Msg #215258

Re: OMG...what next?.......

Northstar's response to my decline was that it was just a "precaution" but the whole deal has left a bad taste- I don't need the signing at the expense of my license. Someone else can have it-I'm not touching it.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/6/07 4:41pm
Msg #215259

Re: OMG...what next?.......

I've had them included in the pkg many times. I just send it back BLANK. Never a problem.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 10/7/07 8:49am
Msg #215314

Don't turn down closing! Just ignore request

I get that "spare acknowledgment" in a package occasionally. Like most everyone else, I either pull and toss it or just send it back with the package but totally blank. No one has ever objected or docked my check or refused to pay because of it. They know it's a totally improper request, but they do it anyway because once in a while some notary who doesn't know better will actually comply.
I would never refuse a closing because of it. They know they're in the wrong, and they won't insist. Like I said, no one has ever questioned or objected or docked my pay or refused to pay if I don't supply the "spare acknowledgment". So take the closing and ignore the "spare acknowledgment" bit.

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 10/7/07 5:12pm
Msg #215345

Re: Don't turn down closing! Just ignore request

I can't remember who had one of those in a package a few months ago. I told them I could not sign it as it would be illegal. Their answer was "we do it all the time, it's just in case there is a mistake". I told them I would not make a mistake and if I did I'd go back on my dime but I was not doing the blank ack. They said ok. I still think she did not want to go find another notary at that point anyway.

Reply by janCA on 10/8/07 12:59pm
Msg #215438

Northstar, good company

I did a signing for Northstar on the the 20th of August, I also was requested to send back an ack. I simply ignored it. I was paid within 3 weeks. No hassles whatsoever. I hope this company will still be standing when the dust settles. One of few I hope makes it through the downturn.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.