Notary Rotary
Notarize a paper in Russian Language
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Frenchie/TN on 10/4/07 1:04pm
Msg #214761

I was asked a few days ago to notarize a paper that was all in Russian. I could not even tell whether or not there was a notarial certificate. I refused the notarization explaining to the lady I could not notarize something I could not read. I saw her today and she says she went to a bank and a notary there put his notary stamp on the form, no questions asked??? I was flabbergasted.

Reply by lubi on 10/4/07 1:11pm
Msg #214764

You cann't notarize documents if you don't understand. I think she needs to ask for official Russian translator to translate doc to the English language and than you can do something. But for example, if it's birth certificate you cann't notarize it, it needs to have Apostile. I know it because I did it before and I understand Russian, but I am not authorize to put my stamp that it needs other requirements, for example in my country only lawyer and his/her employee work as notary, because of different law in civil law countries.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 1:16pm
Msg #214766

Lubi, I am fluent and literate in Russian, so I can notarize

but if you read up the rules carefully you can not utilize the services of a translator becasue you do not know if the translator translated it correctly. Also if you notarized a form translated into another language would it be acceptable in the jurisdiction requiring it? You have no way of knowing but the chances are that the organization will wnat their own form.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 1:21pm
Msg #214770

Re: Lubi, I am fluent and literate in Russian, so I can notarize

Charles
Lubi is in Florida where we can use a translator.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 1:31pm
Msg #214774

Thanks Sylvia, that is the pitfall of not checking the State

the poster is from. Do you use a translator whos is certified insome way in Florida. Without some assurance that the translation is accurate and the verbiage acceptable to the jurisdiction requiring the document wouldn't it be very difficult to actually notarize it. I'm curious about the reasoning and mechanics for allowing notarization of translated documents. I guess you do so by notarizing that the signature is that of the signer. Is the Notary supposed to know what they are notarizing in Florida or is the document irrelevant?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 2:11pm
Msg #214787

Re: Thanks Sylvia, that is the pitfall of not checking the State

Contents of the document are not the concern of a notary.
The translator does not have to be a certified translator.
A friend of the signer who understands the language can verbally translate the document for them if they like.
On the notary certificate I would add :
"I further certify that the nature and effect of the document was translated for (name of signer) by (name of translator) prior to notarization.

Reply by lubi on 10/4/07 1:22pm
Msg #214771

I don't have good knowledge of this subject. I am giving you my opinion and I did one time birth certificate. It needs to be translated to the language and then notarized. Maybe it's different here. But I will never notarize if I don't understand the documentation.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 1:33pm
Msg #214776

The difference is in the laws of the different States

I am sure that Sylvia is correct, I should have checked to see what State you are from, I have no idea what the laws are in Florida.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 2:14pm
Msg #214791

"A notary public may NOT make a certified photocopy of a birth certificate, whether it
was issued in Florida, another state, or a foreign country. Birth certificates are official records and certified copies may be obtained from the public official who is the custodian of the records"

We are also not allowed to notarize birth certificates from any country.

Lubi - be very careful you don't put your commission in jepoardy.

As a Certified Notary Instructor I went over all these things thoroughly with the classes I taught.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 1:20pm
Msg #214769

Lubi
Please read the Florida Governors reference manual!

The notary does not need to understand the document. As long as the signer understands what they are signing and you can communicate with the signer, and there is a proper notary certificate on it you can notarize.
If there isn't a certificate (or it is in the foreign language) ask the signer which certificate he/she wants - acknowledgment or jurat and attach one and notarize.

We cannot notarize birth certificates for any language.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/4/07 1:27pm
Msg #214773

Re: And no matter WHAT the language of the document

the notarial certificate must be in English (in FL at least)...

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 1:35pm
Msg #214779

Hopefully someone in TN will give Frenchie the information

needed.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/4/07 2:20pm
Msg #214796

Re: Note she is "Frenchie/TN" of NC... n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 2:24pm
Msg #214799

This is much too confusing, I quit! At least I knew it was a

she, I got that much right! Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/4/07 2:28pm
Msg #214801

Re: ROFL...it's okay - I just checked her profile..

she's in TN..<G>

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 2:29pm
Msg #214803

I know, you were just messin' with me, its not nice to pick

on the handicapped you know Smile

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 2:28pm
Msg #214802

Wait a minute Linda, her profile says Knoxville TN, there,

I'm vindicated. I thought I was starting to experience my senility!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/4/07 2:35pm
Msg #214807

Re: I shall not comment Charles- my welcome back gift..:) n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 2:42pm
Msg #214808

TY Linda, see not every on here is mean :) n/m

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/4/07 2:44pm
Msg #214809

Re: TY Linda, see not every on here is mean :)

I am not mean either!! LOL

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 2:47pm
Msg #214812

Re: Wait a minute Linda, her profile says Knoxville TN, there,

"I thought I was starting to experience my senility"

Hmm I think I will sit on my handsSmile LL <jk>

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/4/07 3:46pm
Msg #214829

Between sitting on your hands so as not to type the

other day and now this, at least your hands are warm Smile

Reply by lubi on 10/4/07 1:37pm
Msg #214781

I would like to know if she will take this documentation to Russia if it will be acceptable? With U.S notary stamp?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 1:59pm
Msg #214784

That is not our problem, as long as we notarize according to our laws.
If she needs an apostille she will have to contact the Apostille division of the SOS office.

Reply by LJ on 10/4/07 2:13pm
Msg #214789

In IL, I can notarize in a language I cannot read as long as the Notarial wording is in a language I Can read (in my case English only). However, under no circumstances should a notarization be performed if the Notary and the signer cannot directly communicate in the same language.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 2:16pm
Msg #214792

That is correct here, one needs to be able to communicate with the signer.

All notary certificates in Florida (and I believe all states) should bein English.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/4/07 2:18pm
Msg #214794

That is the way it is in Texas Sylvia, must be in English.

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 10/4/07 2:18pm
Msg #214793

Well, that was very informative you all!!! I did not do the notarization but I will check with my SOS to see what I should do next time around. The lady did speak english albeit not very well but enough that she probably could have conveyed the gist of the document. Anyway, Thanks to all.

Reply by SharonMN on 10/4/07 2:22pm
Msg #214798

I totally agree with Sylvia. You don't need to be able to read the document* and no translation is necessary. All you need to be able to do is ask the signer whether they want an ack or a jurat, determine they are competent and not being coerced, watch them sign (or acknowledge their signature), and adminster the oath (if jurat). Attach your normal certificate in English.

It's also not your job to figure out whether the document will meet the requirements to do whatever the signer is trying to do. The signer needs to know that, or the signer should get advice from a lawyer or consul or other official.

* Now that I think about it, does there even need to be a document? If Shaquille O'Neal came to me and acknowledged a signature he made on a basketball, I could probably do an ack for him.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/4/07 2:34pm
Msg #214806

"* Now that I think about it, does there even need to be a document? If Shaquille O'Neal came to me and acknowledged a signature he made on a basketball, I could probably do an ack for him."

We can't do that here in FL...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/4/07 2:45pm
Msg #214810

""* Now that I think about it, does there even need to be a document? If Shaquille O'Neal came to me and acknowledged a signature he made on a basketball, I could probably do an ack for him."

We can't do that here in FL..."

Hmm that raises an interesting question. Nowhere does it say a certificate has to be on paper LOL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.