Notary Rotary
Notary Searches and Profile Views - Limits Explained
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Harry [NR] on 10/3/07 1:45pm
Msg #214540

As many of you have noticed, searches and profile views by NOTARIES have been temporarily limited pending an analysis of September's search numbers.

Since our inception, we have logged every single search and every single profile viewed. Our log data includes ZIP codes searched, time stamps, IP addresses, users and a few other things. With this data, we are able to analyze search patterns. Among other things, we look at the volume searches, the volume of profile views, the number of DISTINCT profile views, and the ratio of Searches:Profile Views on an account-by-account basis.

Statistically, the companies that use our site are able to find a qualified signing agent after viewing about 2.2 profiles for a given search. In September 2007, over 400,000 searches were performed. Several title companies exceeded 20,000 searches each and several signing services were in the 5,000 - 15,000 range. Their Search:View ratios are often under 2.

In contrast, we seem to have a handful of notary signing agents whose ratios are between 1:10 and 1:20. Low-volume scenarios are typically explained by curiosity. A SINGLE search and 20 views, for example, might just be checking out the competition. However, when we see 10 searches and 100 profile views, it's something else. So, we're in the process of building of list of notaries and IP addresses to ban.

Because the abuse seems to be very limited, I will be restoring the search limits soon. In the meantime, my apologies for the inconvenience. (And if you are an agency, PLEASE READ the next sentence.)

Signing agencies, title and escrow companies that sign-in to their Notary Rotary accounts are unaffected by the current limitation.

Harry
Notary Rotary

Reply by Elayne Palancia on 10/3/07 2:10pm
Msg #214548

Thank you Harry : ) eml n/m

Reply by Teresa Kutz on 10/3/07 2:13pm
Msg #214550

Harry,

I mean no disrespect, but I would like to hear from other notaries on this subject. Since I am paying to have my information on your site, I do not care for the fact that a company who wants to view a certain number of profiles before making a selection is cut off at a certain point.

I feel that their searches should be free since we pay to advertise! I do not care if I get spammed, as long as my profile is being searched by companies that need us!

I know this site is to make you money, but making both sides pay seems to me, to be a disadvantage to us notaries.

Teresa

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 2:16pm
Msg #214552

I agree here, let anyone view me as many times as they want, and vice versa. Sometimes, notaries just bond and share stories. Sometimes you just see how many are in your area and what their areas of expertise is. It also lets you get familiar with some and if you cant accomodate an offer for a signing you may be able to recommend because you have viewed and reviewed anothers profile.

I like the unlimited ability!

Reply by SueW/Tn on 10/3/07 2:20pm
Msg #214556

I have been guilty of "attempting" to view profiles of my peers within my state. I may want to see their qualifications or maybe I'm looking to see if they actually post their fees. I could be looking for qualified SA's to use as referrals OR I might be just looking at the competition. Fact remains I have never notified a single one through a personal e-mail because the PM works great for me!

Reply by asigner on 10/3/07 2:27pm
Msg #214562

Re: I agree

I am guilty also of checking out the new kids on the block, have contacted some of my peers and hope that it remains the way it is. I dont think I have been abusive about it though.
If there are complaints about it - I guess that's another story...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 2:23pm
Msg #214558

Teresa, Harry posted:

"Signing agencies, title and escrow companies that sign-in to their Notary Rotary accounts are unaffected by the current limitation"

Reply by Tess on 10/3/07 2:24pm
Msg #214559

Re: Yes, but don't they still have to pay to do so! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 2:29pm
Msg #214564

Re: Yes, but don't they still have to pay to do so!

No!

They just need to sign up as a signing agency and submit references etc (they need proof that it is a legitimate signing agency - unlike the NNA who let anyone sign up as a company)

Reply by Tess on 10/3/07 2:35pm
Msg #214566

Re: Great! But I see nothing that says free signup on main

page. Then why all the restrictions? If it is about spammimg, Harry should handle that on a case by case basis, not by restrictions.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/3/07 2:39pm
Msg #214568

His business, his rules.

Tess are you willing to share all of your contacts with everyone, for their ease? Of course not. Why do you expect this site to do so?

Reply by Tess on 10/3/07 2:45pm
Msg #214569

Re: His business, his rules.

Philip,

I am paying to advertise. I would like to think that companies will go with the notary who suits best, not just the first one they come to.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/3/07 2:47pm
Msg #214570

Those folks have access.

All they need to do is contact the owner and set it up. Seems pretty easy to me.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 2:57pm
Msg #214574

Re: Those folks have access.

It was easy Philip

Oh -not for you - in answer to the previous post, I don't hire the first notary I come across on Notary Rotary - I view several profiles, then I hire the one I think is best suited.
When I select a signing agent, if it is someone I don't know from the message board then I will check how long they have been a notary.

Reply by asigner on 10/3/07 2:50pm
Msg #214571

hi philip, I think Harry intends to ban some notaries viewing other notaries profiles.
his quote "So, we're in the process of building of list of notaries and IP addresses to ban."
Maybe, your thought was outsiders. I dont think he meant outsiders.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 10/3/07 3:07pm
Msg #214575

I like Harry and this website. I think that they have been good for this industry and will continue to subscribe. I play by his rules and I do keep an eye on the competition in my area.

Reply by Calnotary on 10/3/07 3:09pm
Msg #214576

Many New "NOTARY DIRECTORIES" are getting notaries email address from Harry's website and I think he is trying to stop that.

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/3/07 5:20pm
Msg #214602

I think

he is worried about cyber-stalking.

Reply by Teresa Kutz on 10/3/07 3:12pm
Msg #214578

Harry, again I will say, no disrespect meant!

I hope Harry will post a cross the line number, because I also check out my competition and also pull searches on other zip codes to see where I am on the list.

I am getting ready to redo my website and also wanted to pull some notary sites to get some good ideas (not copy) for my website designer and was cut off. We do not need the extra worry that if we innocently and accidentally cross his number line that we will be cut off.

I thank all that responded, and did not wish anything but a lively debate and to hopefully have Harry think some more before implementing anything permanently.

Teresa

Reply by Dawn/PA on 10/3/07 3:52pm
Msg #214582

I agree with you, Teresa. I think most of check out our competition, and to see where we rank by zip codes. I also like looking at others websites for ideas on how to make mine better. I find it frustrating to be cut off because I looked at too many.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 10/3/07 4:03pm
Msg #214585

I really don't think (knock on wood) that we will not be able to do a zip code search and find notariesin our area and read their profiles, I do that because I wanna know who my competition is. I joined for 3 reasons: 1) so that title companies and signing services can locate me; 2) to network with other notaries and 3) to keep an eye on the competition.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 10/3/07 4:07pm
Msg #214587

I am paying for MAXIMUM exposure

With that comes the fact that my information is right out there for all to see.

I don't care who is viewing my information, as long as it is being viewed. If it's being used for spamming, my email account will handle that when I click the spam button.

I don't was ANY limitations on views, this is a public directory and all information should be available for ALL people to see as much as they want... no limitations on notary use, public use, tc use, or ss use.... no limitiations... PERIOD.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/3/07 4:08pm
Msg #214589

Re: I am paying for MAXIMUM exposure

I have to agree with you Jersey_Boy... but as stated earlier, his site his rules!!!

Reply by christiSocal on 10/3/07 4:21pm
Msg #214591

I think Calnotary has it right.

And why wouldn't Harry be upset if people are using his hard work, to build up a business that will possibly take business away from him? I don't think any of us will be affected.
Harry has always been very fair, I think he'd give warning if anyone was getting close to "the magic number"

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 4:19pm
Msg #214590

Re: I am paying for MAXIMUM exposure

Where in the explanations of the benefits of membership does it say that you are paying for Maximum exposure to everyone?

There is no reason another signing agent needs to be viewing 100 profiles at a time.

It isn't a public directory per se, this is a membership board and Harry as the owner makes the rules.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/3/07 4:23pm
Msg #214592

Maximum exposure or a listing on a website?

I don't remember when I signed up that this site promised anything more than a listing of like minded folks. This is a public directory only because the guy who owns it makes it so, he's under no mandate to open up his site to all who want a piece of the action. If you have felt that you haven't gotten your money's worth, perhaps you should take that up with Harry.

Or you can in the sprit of competition open another site. So when can we expect the Jersey boy site that offers maximum exposure and how will you guarantee that? Good luck on that and how will you advertise to all of us like minded folks? I doubt Harry wants to open the books to you.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/3/07 4:44pm
Msg #214594

Re: Maximum exposure or a listing on a website?

What puzzles me is Jersey Boy wants maximum exposure, but he doesn't want to link to his profile..... hmmm............

Reply by Michelle_KY on 10/3/07 4:26pm
Msg #214593

I search the notary database all the time to refer work, check out any new competition, network with other notaries, etc. I referred at least 10 jobs to fellow NR members in September and directed 2 schedulers to the NR notary search feature after they complained that a competitor's site was working too slowly and they were tired of dealing with the owner. In August, I was unable to work for two weeks, so I used the NR search to find a notary to take over my territory.

I've been the only notary in my county for a long time. I just found out (through NR search) that a woman is now listed in my county and her profile directs everyone to an Indiana signing company's website. (One with a very bad rep.)

I pay to have my information display in searches, not to be protected from spam. If spam gets to be too much for me, I'll pay someone else to block it.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 10/3/07 4:58pm
Msg #214595

That's what I want, to keep an eye on who is my competition. I even tried to put in a zip code today to find out how many notaries were my friends compettion in New Hampshire but it locked me out. If I did not have her email address already, I would not have been able to contact her today to give her some good leads.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.