Notary Rotary
OT Realtime GPS Tracking
Notary Discussion History

OT Realtime GPS Tracking
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Regal/NC on 10/12/07 5:54pm
Msg #216293

OT Realtime GPS Tracking

Do any of you folks utilize a realtime GPS tracking system for your vehicle? I am considering purchasing one for safety reasons, since I travel a lot of isolated rural roads. I have read recently of several accidents were the vehicles were found in a ditch several days after the original incident. Thankfully, the occupants were still alive.

Reply by jba/fl on 10/12/07 6:21pm
Msg #216301

I don't have one, but my cell phone GPS tracking system is on. I figure that is enough as someone always knows when I am out and about and if I don't show, they know I can be found w/my cell, no matter where I am.

Reply by Regal/NC on 10/12/07 6:59pm
Msg #216308

Does your cell phone tracking utilize cell sites or satellites for tracking?

Reply by jba/fl on 10/12/07 7:28pm
Msg #216319

"Does your cell phone tracking utilize cell sites or satellites for tracking?"

That I don't know. Since I live in large city, in the flatlands, so to speak, I haven't given it much thought. I guess if I go on trip to mtns. I should check first, huh? Well, I'll check anyway. Thanks for bringing that up.

Reply by Doris_CO on 10/12/07 7:06pm
Msg #216310

My son works for a company called Tracking The World. www.trackingtheworld.com They sell GPS units that are used as tracking devices for trucking companies, law enforcement, disgruntled spouses :-), parents checking on kids, etc. The units are very small, about half the size of a cell phone; use a Sim card and can be tracked by internet (Google Earth). This might be what you're looking for.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 10/13/07 12:09am
Msg #216332

There have been a couple of accidents in the local mountains where the accidend was not discovered for a couple of days and one of the cars had OnStar. that is the traking system that comes in GM cars and uses the gps system. The problem is that the receiver in your car needs line of sight contact with at least two, but preferably three satellites in order to work. If you go down a cliff, chances are that the gps tracking antenna will be in a position that won't work. I have also had this issue when I have been hiking in the mountains using a fairly high end hand held gps. If you don't have line of sight with three satellites getting your location is next to impossible. Of course it would be one more safegard for you as there is always a chance it will work and if the area you work in is flat, then it will work provided it is not damaged in any accident.

I always let someone know what way I am going and what time I will be there, so if a lot of time goes by without me showing up or making contact, then people at least have a starting point on where to look .....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.