Notary Rotary
Optional Wording for CA Acknowledgement/Jurats
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by GWest on 10/1/07 11:57am
Msg #214032

With regard to the discussion yesterday about the optional wording I received the following from the NNA:
Thank you for your inquiry. Although the law has strict requirements on notarial wording, there is no law that prohibits an optional section following the notarial wording. Our forms are designed to comply with statute as well as providing security.

Mel Prescott, Information Services Department Coordinator

I have also been trying to reach the SOS but not been able to get through as of yet. Will let you know what they say when I receive an answer.

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/1/07 4:20pm
Msg #214114

I can tell you SOS's response

"It's up to your interpretation." That is their standard response.

A whole lotta help...... N O T!

I haven't had any problems with the optional information. As long as the notarial wording is correct, I wouldn't worry about it.
My .02

Reply by Jon on 10/1/07 5:45pm
Msg #214139

OK

As much as I hate to say it, the NNA is correct about this one(boy does that leave a bad taste in my mouth!).

Ask yourself, what constitutes an acknowledgment? Is it the piece of paper it is written on, or is it the body of text described in Ca Civil Code? The optional section a Ca Ack is not part of the ack, it is simply information about the ack. Think of a grant deed, the ack is almost always on the same piece of paper as the grant deed text. No one(I hope) would suggest that the grant deed is part of the ack. The ack starts with "State of California" and ends with the notary signature and or stamp. Any thing else on the paper is not part of the ack.

Come on people, let's have some profound brain things going on in our heads, to paraphrase King Julius Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.