Notary Rotary
RATING A NOTARY from discussion posted on 9-14
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by asigner on 10/8/07 4:48pm
Msg #215485

I am in favor of an ss rating a notary and the endeavor should be taking on by the webmaster. However, the results of those ratings should not be disclosed but rather noted. The problems with the idea is that the notary sits at the bottom of the food-chain in this business, and notaries all-to-well know that ppl in charge, LO, title companies, brokers, etc can ask many things of the notary before or even during the signing that is unethical and/or against the law. If the request comes in at the last minute and the notary refuses, then the company can post negative ratings on that notary, simply because he/she did not comply.
It has happened more than once to me. I try to be very cooperative, pleasant and patient with all involved during a closing. But there was once where 2 attempts at closing an individual were unsuccessful. Not because of anything I did, but because of this persons shady behavior. A borrower should be competent and willing to sign the set of documents.
I know there are notaries who are incompetent, lazy etc., and I sympathize with the companies who have to deal with them more than once.
I also think that sometimes poor communication in this business can lead to ruin.

Those SS who cannot behave as reputable companies, should not get business.
Likewise, notaries who cannot communicate effectively and deliver a decent day's work with minimal damage to everyone involved should be ostracized.
and neither should --for a single act; it should be a history of continued mishaps. As many have said, there are 2 sides to every story. SS's like sox who have repeatedly shown bad behavior are still receiving business on a daily basis. And those unaware notaries are becoming victims. I would like to hear from those guys (on this forum) if they have a realistic argument to all the allegations that have been made against them.

Thank you for listening

Reply by notary4az2 on 10/8/07 5:10pm
Msg #215487

Whether we approve or not most ss are rating us on our work and whether we get any work from the ss is according to that rating with that company and one bad incident can lower those ratings. These ratings also determine whether we get called first for available signings. I had an incident where the locator wanted me to do a signing in a very rural area and I asked for additional fees for the extra drive and he told me it was in a city area and that I did not need additional fees. Well, we went round and round and I finally took the order (he claimed no one else was available and I had been signing for them for 2 or 3 yrs at that time) and traveled 150 miles round trip - when I called to tell him that I know my area and that I deserved the extra fee - he got mad and took my rating to a zero with them. I did not get called until I called a manager at the company and they replaced my previous rating so that I would get calls again from them. So you are being rated everyday and one bad incident (with a borrower , lo or schedulers) can stop those calls from coming.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/8/07 5:31pm
Msg #215490

There is little objective criteria and ratings can be abused n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 10/8/07 10:16pm
Msg #215523

Amen Charles, amen. n/m

Reply by maddieNJ on 10/9/07 7:03am
Msg #215536

Just playing devils advocate

Couldn't the ratings of companies be abused as well?

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 10/9/07 9:56am
Msg #215549

Companies could be abused also,

However, who in their right mind would post an negative untruth about a company and EVER hope to get work from them again? I'm much more concerned about my competition trying to eliminate their competition by negative remarks. Fellow NSA's are our competition, but SS and TC are our customers.

Reply by maddieNJ on 10/9/07 10:37am
Msg #215560

Re: Companies could be abused also,

But the comments on companies can be left anonymous so companies wouldn't know who is posting what.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.