Notary Rotary
SHOE REMOVAL
Notary Discussion History

SHOE REMOVAL
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by CalGal on 10/9/07 4:05pm
Msg #215615

SHOE REMOVAL

How do y'all feel when a borrower asks you to remove your shoes? Just curious!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/9/07 4:10pm
Msg #215617

I've never been asked as of yet in over 2 years. Just be sure to wear socks with NO holes. lol

Reply by hp/MD on 10/9/07 4:17pm
Msg #215621

If I notice the BO has his shoes removed, I ask him If I should remove mine, I have done a lots of signings for Muslims. Almost all of them want to remove your shoes. I have no problem with that. You must be respectful.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/9/07 4:15pm
Msg #215619

I don't really like it but when they ask, I comply without batting an eye.

Reply by qmriley on 10/9/07 4:15pm
Msg #215620

I don't mind but sometimes im not wearking socks

Reply by BobRogers_FL on 10/9/07 4:20pm
Msg #215622

You are going into their home. They make the rules, or you walk.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/9/07 4:26pm
Msg #215623

Their house. Their rules. We're there for their convenience--which is why I have a pair of 'footies' in my notary brief case. Takes care of bare feet, holes in socks--or yucky floors.

Reply by CalGal on 10/9/07 5:37pm
Msg #215636

The "footsies" are a good idea.

Reply by mswa on 10/9/07 4:33pm
Msg #215627

i always wear a slip off clog type of shoe and clean socks and always take my shoes off-if in a home-

Just as I always wear a modest b/stylish outfit w/@ least 3/4 sleeves and knees covered..

I'm not that old or Muslim or Amish b/I find that a certain decorum goes a long ways..

btw: I have a priceless oriental rug collection and always ask my guests to remove their shoes if they are venturing into the rug area. I have 2 comfortable chairs in the entry and its not a problem. That's what I tell my borrowers, I ask people to remove their shoes-as I do-in my home and won't expect to do less in their homes.

shoes carry oil, gum. dog doo germs and who knows what else besides dirt.

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/9/07 4:39pm
Msg #215629

I recently went into a home for a general notarization. I saw that there were shoes just inside the front door, and that no one in the home had shoes on. I was so glad I was wearing slip on shoes with socks at the time. I just slipped them off and went on with our business.
No big deal to me.
My .02

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/9/07 4:39pm
Msg #215631

I recently went into a home for a general notarization. I saw that there were shoes just inside the front door, and that no one in the home had shoes on. I was so glad I was wearing slip on shoes with socks at the time. I just slipped them off and went on with our business.
No big deal to me.
My .02

Reply by CARID on 10/9/07 5:04pm
Msg #215632

I have been asked to remove my shoes many times in the last 6 years doing closings. I agree, their home their rules. No big deal.

Reply by CJ on 10/9/07 5:44pm
Msg #215637

We have lots of asians and Hawaiians, and that is just their culture. But sometimes their carpets and houses are dirty anyway. I just happen to wear slip-ons all the time. But ONE time, I took off my shoes, and the carpet had little wet spots on it from the puppy. Ugh!

Reply by Nancy M. Misenar on 10/9/07 6:04pm
Msg #215643

When I get inside I look at the place and the floor, if the borrowers do not have shoes on I always ask if I should remove my shoes, it shows respect....and wear socks....you never know what lies beneath!!!!

Reply by GLRMbile on 10/9/07 6:14pm
Msg #215645

Re: SHOE REMOVAL:)

The one time I've had to remove my shoes I was wearing Toe socks,the kind where every toe is covered with a different colorSmile
Borrowers were amusedSmile

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/9/07 6:33pm
Msg #215648

Floridians rarely wear socks. It has to be darn cold for me to put socks on...I can't stand to wear them.

I've been asked to remove my shoes just twice. I simply explain that I have been fighting a nasty foot fungus that I picked up at the Holiday Inn on my last vacation to Sanibell and I wouldn't mind taking off my shoes if they wouldn't mind chancing the foot fungus. That always works for me.

For those of you with no sense of humor...............this is your sign.

Reply by Kristan Crawford on 10/9/07 7:25pm
Msg #215662

OMG! I busted out laughing when I read this! Thanks for that!

Reply by Linda Spanski on 10/9/07 7:29pm
Msg #215665

"Dress code" vs. boorrowers house rules

In a typical day I see folks from many countries/cultures and if I see shoes near the door I remove my slippers. A shoes-off-indoors policy is common in beach areas. I always wear easy-off shoes (if my socks are a fashion faux pas, go ahead and laugh.) Hope I don't run afoul of some company's dress code. I'm more concerned with being a good guest in someone's home.

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/9/07 7:29pm
Msg #215666

I always ask before I walk through their home

I feel it's just polite to ask. Rarely do they have me take them off. Plus, you know I don't mind letting my bunions breath.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/9/07 7:47pm
Msg #215674

Re: SHOE REMOVAL, Years ago I brokered a vacation spa

in San Diego County. It was an expensive high end deal and over the time it took to process the deal (well over 6 months) I got to know the principals fairly well. They seemed like great people on both sides and a lot of fun. I was handling the purchase end of the transaction by request and so really had not visited the property beforehan but I was asked by both parties if I wold also close the deal at the property. You can imagine my consternation at showing up in a three piece suit at a nudist colony! Shoes, no problem!

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 10/9/07 9:31pm
Msg #215715

Re: SHOE REMOVAL, Years ago I brokered a vacation spa

OH Charles that is PRICELESS. I am SAFE to assume that you were not asked to "wear" the same attire?

LOL

tannis zamora TN

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/9/07 9:35pm
Msg #215716

No way, I'm a stodgy old New Englander, however it

was suggested that if I would be more comfortable I could join in. The closing was done in the nude by the pricipals and there I was in the middle of it in my 3 piece, wingtips and all!

Reply by LindaM on 10/9/07 10:27pm
Msg #215732

Re: No way, I'm a stodgy old New Englander, however it

Ha! Ha! Great Visual!

Reply by Grace Gully on 10/9/07 9:10pm
Msg #215705

I comply with the request, it's their home and I respect that. I have removed my shoes about 5X in 6 years on the job.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/9/07 10:26pm
Msg #215731

We got into removing our shoes from living in the country in WI. Shoes are still by the door but I have never required it of anyone. As a result I have to "check" myself at the borrowers door to see if I am supposed to leave my shoes ON.

Reply by christiSocal on 10/9/07 11:36pm
Msg #215740

When in Rome...

HOWEVER, that does not include nudity! Lol. I hate shoes so I'm usually happy to comply, there was one time when it was really cold and the borrowers didn't heat their house. My toes were ice cubes!!!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/10/07 12:35am
Msg #215746

Re: When in Rome...

I had one like that, too. The borrowers had set up their garage as an additional room, with a table and chairs, etc. It wouldn't have been so bad, but they left the garage door open and it was drafty. I was glad I had a jacket on, but I was afraid my toes were going to go numb!

BTW, I also ask if I see shoes at the door and try to always be prepared for that possibility, but I *have* been caught once with holes in the toes of my pantyhose. ;>Wink We had a quick chuckle about it and moved on.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/10/07 6:57am
Msg #215762

I offer to remove my shoes if I have any kind of an indicator that they would like it...shoes by the front door, hard wood floors, light colored carpets. No one has ever asked me to remove my shoes but there again, it's probably because I offer first.

Truthfully, as far as carpet goes, what's worse for carpets than dirty shoes is the oil on the bottoms of bare feet. That's why the worse traffic areas are those which come in contact with bare feet the most. I learned this from a flooring company a long time ago when they were laying carpet in my home. It's true based on my experience. I shampoo my carpets pretty often and have a Hoover Steam Cleaner that does a great job. I have found you can easily clean up dirt, but oil from bare foot traffic is harder to remove.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 10/10/07 8:43am
Msg #215779

well that certainly explains why certains areas of my old carpet (beige) at my old house always seemed less clean than others even after steam cleaning! I hate shoes. I have only been asked once and it wasnt a problem and I cant forsee it being a problem with me if asked again. However, I will carry ankle socks in my bag from now on...knock on wood I have yet to go to a home that I would be uncomfortable removing my shoes.

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/10/07 8:44am
Msg #215781

A major change is taking place in my life today

I've always taken off my shoes when I enter my own home, and many times I am then barefoot. I've asked only my kids to do the same; company is exempted.

I just googled, and can confirm Brenda's advisory:

"6. No Bare Feet

"Now I bet you didn't realize that bare feet are as damaging to your carpets as shoes are. That's because the soles of your feet will have a [sic] oil film [no you can't feel or see it] that will be picked up by your carpets leaving a residue behind that attracts dirt which then abrades your carpet."

That explains why the area on the side of my bed where I get in and out is one of the hardest to clean.

For anyone interested, here's a link to the page outlining the eight tips to extend the life of your carpet: http://tinyurl.com/36up9o. There were other sites that confirmed this fact. And there are specific warnings to NOT walk on just-cleaned, still-damp carpets barefoot. (Argh!)

It's a darn poor day you don't learn something new.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/10/07 9:54am
Msg #215797

Re: A major change is taking place in my life today

Barefoot traffic ruins carpet. ( I find that little doggy feet are culprits as well! No...I don't make the dogs wear socks...just try to keep them mostly on throw rugs and hard floors. )

A good steam cleaner can suck up just about any kind of nasty mess arriving from shoes, or which has been spilled, but if you grind in regular dirt with the soles of bare feet it won't be easy (maybe impossible) to clean.

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/10/07 10:02am
Msg #215800

But I LOVE going barefoot, indoors and out.

Indoors was always safe, until you ruined it for me. ;-)

It's a lot harder to find safe places outdoors.

Reply by SharonMN on 10/11/07 12:38pm
Msg #216006

I have no problem removing my shoes if the borrower asks or if it seems clear it is a no-shoes house.

However, I was brought up to believe that removing your shoes was informal and even rude unless you were with family or close friends - like sitting around in your pajamas or putting your feet on the coffee table. I don't like it when people take their shoes off when entering my house, and I would not take my shoes off when working in an office. Therefore, I don't presume to take them off without clear signs that this is expected. However, once a borrower made snide remarks about how I didn't even take off my shoes...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.