Notary Rotary
Should I Recertify or Not?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by SANDRA LEE on 10/19/07 6:17pm
Msg #217435

I'm in CA and noticed that my Notary Signing Agent Certification title lapsed in August and it's already October. I'm not a member of NNA any longer so didn't get notification about the expiration. I'm not even sure I need to get re-certified. It doesn't come up often with SA's or Escrow companies. The cost might be an issue too. Please advise.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/19/07 6:18pm
Msg #217437

I wouldn't botherSmile

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/19/07 6:23pm
Msg #217441

No way

These certifications are meaningless. The years of experience you have are what's important, not a sheet of paper with a gold star on it.

Reply by SANDRA LEE on 10/19/07 6:24pm
Msg #217442

Re: No way

You are convincing

Reply by janCA on 10/19/07 6:56pm
Msg #217447

Re: No way

I was "certified" twice. Over 5.5 yrs. I've never been asked. I agree, it's meaningless, just another way to squeeze money out of us.

Reply by Linda Spanski on 10/19/07 7:39pm
Msg #217451

No way!

I've been doing this 7 1/2 years and have never even been asked if I'm certified.

Reply by Amalia Contreras on 10/19/07 6:27pm
Msg #217443

Re: No Way !!!! n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/19/07 7:13pm
Msg #217449

Re: Should I Recertify or Not? Why bother, its just another

way for the NNA to extract money from you for them.

Reply by CJ on 10/19/07 9:08pm
Msg #217465

being certified won't change the market.

You phone still won't ring.

Reply by JK/TX on 10/19/07 9:48pm
Msg #217473

Re: being certified won't change the market.

That test was a joke. My answer to each question, in my mind, was "It depends!". Of course, that was never a choice. Why was my answer "it depends".... because it did! I think that test s/b a debate........... that would separate the girls from the women... or boys from the men... the bored from the pro's.......... but of course, I'm not XYZIPPER.

Reply by Tony_FL on 10/19/07 10:54pm
Msg #217478

You were certified. You know your job. You do your job. Just because there is a date on a piece of paper, does that REALLY make you any LESS certified to do the same job that you have always been doing SINCE you became certified?

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/19/07 11:33pm
Msg #217480

Ok, I feel the same way about the NNA as most, BUT...

I've discussed this before, a few companies may still feel that a certification from the NNA means something. Yes, we all know it's bogus. Yes, we all know that a 90 year old with Alzheimer's could probably pass the test. Believe me, they make my stomach turn, but you've got to decide what's best for YOUR business. Sometimes it means sleeping with the devil. I know that's an unpopular thing to say but plenty of my colleagues are in the same bed, so I've got to decide if NOT being certified puts me at a disadvantage.

I got a call yesterday from a company that asked me for my background check as part of their requirements. I had the BGC done when I renewed my certification (By the way, they have a BGC here that is actually more thorough). I already did a signing for them today, have another scheduled for Monday, and more in the works. So, I'm glad I renewed my certification and got the BGC.

Also, I think about the perception of the general public and what's on my business card. It says I'm NNA Certified. Some people might think "Hey, that's important, right?" I mean, I have no idea what an "ASC Certified Mechanic" is, but boy it sure sounds impressive. I mean, they're certified! It's sad, but it's true.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 10/20/07 12:31am
Msg #217482

I concur. I get most of my new referrals off of NOTROT, but.

I still get a number of calls off of Signingagent.com.
My NNA certification and BGC puts me closer to the top of the list.
Frequently, new customers, ask me if I am NNA certified when they
first call me. If it is important enough for them to ask, then I feel
that like, giving chicken soup to a dead guy, "It couldn't hurt"
My profile, indicating over 11,000 signings probably doesn't hurt either.

Reply by JK/TX on 10/20/07 12:54am
Msg #217483

Re: Ok, I feel the same way about the NNA as most, BUT...

I agree w/most you say. I think BGS is more important than certified. Certified is a joke. BGS can be concrete. Certified is.. ? who knows. To me, it's nothing. And I really don't know what I was checked for in the BGS, my report does not tell me anything. I would hope it would be just a criminal check...??

But, I am also an escrow officer, so I know I have been checked in ways I am sure XYZ would not pay to check. So, I don't think I will throw any more money at the wall.

That being said, if I wanted to market/promote myself, I would definitely get a BGC and ... geeze, I'm trying to bite my tongue on the certification........... what a load of crap that is!

I get some pkg's ... and think... what if i were one of those people that thought, "hey, I think I'll be a NSA...... while that pkg (158 pgs.) is printing....... I would freak! (that was my last pkg., my husband walked in while printing and said "SOB" "whaaat is that?" pretty funny, but truth is, no one knows til you walk in the shoes..... and there is usually a surprise in the bottom of every box/inbox !!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.