Notary Rotary
Tech/computer question
Notary Discussion History

Tech/computer question
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 10/8/07 3:08pm
Msg #215455

Tech/computer question

The sound on the internet is gone! I get the video running but there is no sound. What is up with that? The little Sound horn (for volume) is gone down on the lower right hand side too.

Reply by FWP/WA on 10/8/07 3:09pm
Msg #215456

did you try rebooting the computer? Most problems I find are fixed by doing that.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/8/07 3:12pm
Msg #215459

Yes. Plus going to the internet explorer site and sounds in the control panel. All the troubleshooting help I could find!

Reply by cara on 10/8/07 3:13pm
Msg #215461

Also, check the volume control on external speakers. To check if the sound card is working, you can go to control panel, device manager to check if hardware is amiss. Good luck!

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/8/07 3:17pm
Msg #215463

Magic!

It just came back by itself.
One of the things I did was updat IE. I also couldn't respond to an earlier post but could start this one. I got a message the I was a potential worm....to myself and was blocked. Rean virus checks and cleanups etc earlier.
Wonder if it is something with the server?

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/8/07 3:30pm
Msg #215468

Gone again

Gee it was back almost 10 minutes!

Reply by Kathy/ID on 10/8/07 3:54pm
Msg #215475

Re: Gone again

go to your control panel and find the volume control there. make sure it is not set to mute all and then save and close it. I have seen this force it to the running area.

Reply by Todd/OH on 10/8/07 6:29pm
Msg #215493

Re: Gone again

Maybe something was muted by accident? Maybe you downloaded something that isn't compatible with your sound card. Not all sound cards are the same.

Reply by dickb/wi on 10/8/07 4:59pm
Msg #215486

also try to restore your computor back to.....

the date it was working ok.......uninstall ie7.....it will automaticly restore ie6 and you might [should be] ok.....i had nothing but trouble with ie7 and have been and am running ie6 with no problems......

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/8/07 5:42pm
Msg #215491

Not a techie, but had same problem--not good

That was the first sign that my motherboard was terminal--I lost the sound... a week later & a few 'strange things happening'---I lost the motherboard. Back up your stuff now. I hope I don't know what I'm talking about and that you find a simple solution to your problem.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 10/8/07 6:45pm
Msg #215496

Here's something you can try.

I ran into a similar problem several months ago. The disappearing sound icon is a known bug in Windows XP - it seems to be caused by a user logging on before XP finishes loading all the stuff it needs. It usually happens as you add more programs to your system and it takes longer for the preliminary stuff to load.

If your PC is password protected, just wait until the hard drive light stops flashing before you log on. If you're like most folks and log on automatically, the quick fix when you see that the sound icon is missing is to log off and then log on again (Start-> Log Off, don't reboot).

If it happens every time you start up, there's a more permanent fix that has been reported to work. Click on Start->Control Panel-> Add or Remove Programs. On the the left pane, select Add/Remove Windows Components; scroll down to Networking Services, click on the "Details..." button, remove the check mark for the UPnP User Interface, click on OK, and then reboot.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/8/07 10:05pm
Msg #215519

Down to this

I reinstalled the audio drivers. Charter had me go on sites like youtube and tmz and I have sound there. Only on the videos on MSN and AOL is it gone. He thinks its something to do with them.
Definately an explore my computer day!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.