Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
This got my attention! (OT re fires w/ a little update)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 10/23/07 5:37pm
Msg #217885

This page made real to me (even though the air still smells heavily of smoke) what so many people are facing in many areas of Southern California. The area at the bottom re: protecting your home could be potentially useful to anyone. (I hope this link works...):
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/util/map_popup.php?url=/newsimages/community/thecanyons/2007/10/trabucofire.gif

In San Diego County, there are now more than 500,000 people who have evacuated their homes into more than 23 centers!! (More than 1,000 homes have been lost so far, more burning as I write this, and I just heard the number could go much higher.) Please tell your friends - or anyone who wants to do something - that the American Red Cross could use more financial support (esp. the San Diego chapter)!!!

The fire burning near me (only 1 of 10 still not under control) has moved to the east (away from me) towards beautiful areas in the remote hills called Modjeska Canyon and Silverado Canyon. (BTW, Charles, where your home is should be well out of danger. This is beyond Cook's Corner.)

I did a signing out there just a short time ago. It's not heavily populated, but it's an old area where older homes are nearly hidden within the vegetation in most places. Very picturesque. In one place, the trees literally form a canopy over the street and there's an animal sanctuary stuck in there somewhere. The whole area is supposed to have been evacuated. It would be a real shame to see it wiped out!! Keep those prayers coming, folks!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 10/23/07 5:47pm
Msg #217887

Thanks for the update, Janet. Prayers so you continue to be

safe. Additional prayers for this to be over soon.

Reply by Sandy/CT on 10/23/07 6:11pm
Msg #217892

Re: Thanks for the update, Janet. Prayers so you continue to be

I cannot believe what I just saw on TV. It is very bad...I am praying for it to stop.
Also, for those people to get immediate help. Is there ANYTHING THAT WE CAN DO?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/23/07 6:37pm
Msg #217895

What you can do...

As I said, the local Red Cross chapters are taking charge of setting up shelters, supplying food, cots, blankets, etc. I heard that they can use support. I have to run, but I doubt it would be too hard to find a link to local chapters. I would think that San Diego will be the area with the biggest need.

At the shelter near me (El Toro HS), local restaurants are pitching into provide free meals, young kids are volunteering to help, etc. Only good thing about these kinds of situations is that it tends to bring out the best in most people!

Kyle, glad to hear that so many areas are opening up for people to return home!

Reply by KBLedgard_CA on 10/23/07 7:25pm
Msg #217900

Re: What you can do...

The Salvation Army is taking donations and has phone lines open at (858) 570-1001, according to www.cbs8.com

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/23/07 7:32pm
Msg #217903

Re: What you can do...I've got a few of my clients staying

in my house becasue the hotels are filing up fast and they have had to evacuate. Everyone is trying to do whatever they can.

Reply by KBLedgard_CA on 10/23/07 5:53pm
Msg #217888

OT: San Diego Fire Update (some good news)

From www.CBS8.com

If you live in the following areas, you can return home:

DEL MAR HEIGHTS: South of Via de la Valle, west of Interstate 5 and north of Torrey Pines State Beach

SCRIPPS RANCH: South of Beeler Canyon Road, west of Sycamore Canyon Road, east of Interstate 15 and north of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar

POWAY residents, living in the following areas, are allowed to return home:

South of Twin Peaks Road
East of Community Road to Tierra Bonita Road on the north
Donard Drive on the south
West of Ipava Drive
West and north of Poway Road

Before returning to these areas, call the following number first: 858-513-2800.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 10/23/07 5:59pm
Msg #217889

I visited my brother in NE Oregon this August where wild fires happen every year. He lives on a ranch up on the mountain.His home is geared towards such events. Metal roof, fireproof siding etc. One day a week was religiously spent watering the larger green space around it. It took the whole day. Sure enough, after I left 2 fires broke out, on both sides of him. All he had to do was move vehichles to the lower driveway and bulldoze a fire break around my Dad's airstream in the hayfield. He is fortunate in that he has a pond big enough for the helicopters to dip their buckets in.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/23/07 7:37pm
Msg #217904

Re: This got my attention! I'm fortunate in Mendocino...

I've got the Noyo River in front of my house and the helicopters dip out of that and I maintain 300' clear zone around the house. Also I have a bulldozer and backhoe and they are both registered with the CDF (Ca Dept of Forestry) as firefighting vehicles so I can volunteer them in case of a fire. I also have a trailer with a 1000 gal water tank and a gas pump on it. Its important to maintain your resources when living in remote areas.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/23/07 9:54pm
Msg #217915

I wanted to append this photo from my front deck but

I'll just have to give you a link. Its a chopper that has just dipped from the Noyo, you can see the yoke for the water bucket hanging from the belly.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[e-mail address]/photo/294928803820797513/2

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/23/07 10:26pm
Msg #217920

Our heroes!! Great shot - thanks!!! n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/24/07 1:17am
Msg #217941

Good Night Janet, looks like we dodged a bullet...

I understand that the winds are starting to die down and that the weather is going to change in the morning. Did you see the news tonight with all the Sheriffs Deputies congregating at Cooks corners. My daughter tells me that she is going down to El Toro High tomorrow and see if there is something she can do to help, I understand that they are housing a group from San Diego County.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/23/07 7:30pm
Msg #217901

I heard about Modjeska but I'm not out of the woods yet...

I just got word that the fire has split and made aa "U" and is heading towards the empty areas around Vista del Lago and Lake Mission Viejo. If you go up to the top of Vista del Lago off of Los Alisos you can actually look down on the fire and I'm told it is heading West at a pretty good clip and is on the border with the homes along Lake Mission Viejo. I've got my fingers crossed. I just had a call for someone looking for insurance from Holland because their homeowners insurance lapsed: unfortunately the unsurers have locked down our zip codes so I can't write insurance right now. Something to think about, a lot of people are underinsured and a lot of others think that insurance is just a waste of money and take it too lightly. There was a family on the news last night that lost everything and they forgot to renew their insurance.

I'm sorry to see Modjeska and Santiago canyons get burned out, I do a lot of mountain biking in that area its very pretty.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.