Notary Rotary
Title requesting Workman Comp Certificate
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by MSFlorida on 10/25/07 3:44pm
Msg #218293

I just received a email stating before they pay invoices they need a copy of my workman
comp certificate what is this and why would they need this? I am a corporation but
I have no employee's and no office.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 10/25/07 3:56pm
Msg #218296

If you have no employees, it does not apply. This insurance is mandatory by state law in most if not all states if you have employees. Most states do allow corporate directors and officers to opt out if they wish.

Reply by MSFlorida on 10/26/07 7:14am
Msg #218382

That is what I told the Title Co. I do not have any employees. I have been a Corp.
for over 11 years and no one has ever requested this. They stated that they would
look into this.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 10/26/07 9:16am
Msg #218400

FL Corporations are required to either

have workman's comp certificates OR have a workman's comp exemption certificate. I have my exemption certificate but have never been asked for it. Florida did some strange things in 2004 which required anyone who had an occupational license to be incorporated. AFTER small businesses complied with that requirement is when the problems started, mainly relating to how our Dept of Business and Professional Regulation handles licensing in individual names where the individual has incorporated. One of those requirements is that all corps must have the workman's comp exemption or certificate of insurance. I don't understand all of it, but my accountant and attorney recommended that I get the exemption.

Reply by MSFlorida on 10/26/07 10:05am
Msg #218414

Re: FL Corporations are required to either

Thank You for the replies and calls. I do believe I have this figured out.
I am the only Officer of my Corp. I have no Employee's. from my understanding
Officers are exempt from having to carry this. My acct. hasn't returned call yet she's
probably on vacation she's always on vacation LOL. I just spoke to my sister who is
a Corp. as well and this is how she explained it to me and yes there is a form to fill out,
but unsure if I have already filled out Acct. keeps everything for me. I still don't understand
why this would be a requirement for them to pay me. I have worked for them for the past
2 1/2 years???? First request of this in the 11 years I have been a corp..

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.