Notary Rotary
UPS Chargeback from First Merit Settlement Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by CopperheadVA on 10/17/07 8:45pm
Msg #217051

I did a job for First Merit Settlement Services through a SS last August. I remember that the loan terms were not what the borrower was expecting, but she signed anyway because she was over a barrel and had no more time left to make other arrangements. I don't know if she ended up rescinding the loan or not, and I have already received payment for the job, but I just received a UPS invoice for the chargeback shipping fee PLUS $10 chargeback fee, plus a fuel surcharge fee! Totals over $30 and the reason is: "Bill To Account Refused to Pay"!

OK, after the EFS chargebacks others got and now this one, it's only going to be handwritten airbills with TC name on both sender and receiver sections. Such a shame because the on-line shipping is so fast and easy. But this is ridiculous that TC refuses to pay for their own signed package and they charge it back to the notary!

I have an e-mail in to SS - he had better help me on this one!

Reply by CF on 10/17/07 8:57pm
Msg #217053

How can Fed Ex or UPS really make you pay? Isn't it like Columbia House Record deals...they send you a CD and some people pay....but other's dont. How can they really collect payment from you? I guess that I dont understand and I would tell UPS or Fed Ex to get real...that I am not paying for those services? I am being careful and using SS or TC in both area...b/c of this board. So thank you to all that have advised of this...but I still cant figure how they can really "go after you" to pay it????

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/17/07 9:04pm
Msg #217054

When you sign up for an on-line account, you have to agree to their terms. If you as the shipper enter a bill-to shipping account number that ultimately refuses to pay, then it comes back on you and you are held responsible. UPS and FedEx don't care if you have instructions to use that acct number. In my case, I have an e-mail from the SS to use the acct number, so it's not even direct instructions from First Merit giving me permission to use their number - it's from a third party. Very maddening and dishonest on First Merit's part. The only way around it is to scavenge airbills from UPS or FedEx boxes (if you order airbills, they can trace the numbers back to you) and put TC name in both sender and receiver sections.

Reply by CF on 10/17/07 9:29pm
Msg #217057

OH- I see. I dont have an account with either...I live near a Fex Ex HUB 2 miles and UPS HUB 5 miles. So if I need supplies then I just go there and my last pick up times at 8:30pm for both (very convienient) ...and yes...I hand write my labels...I have for 4 years. Makes sense now...they have all of your information on file. I guess that is how they would track you down. Anyway...I have been sending to and from the company that hires me. Good luck!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/17/07 9:32pm
Msg #217059

Thanks - I have heard back from SS and he says he will look into it for me.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/17/07 10:05pm
Msg #217067

Concerning FedEx you have to give them a credit card to have supplies delivered, therefore they have a record of you. UPS doesn't require a credit card to drop ship supplies.

If you don't have a credit card (FedEx) you can do what the other poster said and go to a FedEx hub and take all the supplies available.

You can get a few supplies from Kinkos and an UPS Store; but they should only be used as a last gasp because they pay for them and won't let you take very much!

Reply by jba/fl on 10/17/07 10:28pm
Msg #217072

Kinko's is owned by FedEx - get all you want. UPS - diff.

story. I go to large office bldgs downtown and take all I want, otherwise stores only want to give 1 or 2 at time. No accts - and am beginning to forgo pick ups due to the chargebacks I'm hearing about. I don't care if pkg. sits in their hub until doomsday - I am not going to get stuck.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/18/07 7:18am
Msg #217099

Not sure why people don't take advice that's been given for YEARS - and given because those of us who have been around for YEARS learned this the hard way - through trial and error - through the frustrating $10 charge backs.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/18/07 8:07am
Msg #217100

I started doing my shipping labels on-line about a year ago, after seeing much advice on this board to use the on-line service, as it was so fast and easy and you could instantly tell if the shippers account number was valid.

Before I started doing my labels on-line, I did write the TC name in both the shipper and receiver sections, and I will go back to doing it that way.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/18/07 6:48pm
Msg #217207

Once again, be careful who you listen to....

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/18/07 8:18pm
Msg #217222

Well I figured I could trust what PAW, BendaTX and other well respected members said. At that time we were not experiencing these chargebacks due to companies closing their doors. Some people were getting chargebacks on hand-written airbills due to bad account numbers, so the recommendation was to do the airbills on-line.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/18/07 9:52pm
Msg #217234

Can't disagree with you there. Maybe it's me making bad assumptions this time! Wink I've been doing handwritten airbills (with recipient in both sections) for a very long time -- and I sure am glad, now. However, I do have a FedEx account and order supplies online. Someone posted that they (FedEx) can use the sequence of tracking numbers to trace them back to the account that ordered them. If that's so, I guess they can get you one way or another. One more potential risk to be factored in when we set our prices, I guess. Another reason to not accept the low ball fees some people are accepting!!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/18/07 9:58pm
Msg #217235

Catching up on the other posts...

Maybe it was you also who posted the info before about FedEx being able to retrace to our account #s? (Want to give credit where due...)

Reply by PA_NOTARY on 10/18/07 12:16pm
Msg #217149

Does the hud have shipping charges that the borrower paid for at the closing table?
If so, we should discuss that matter on the board.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/18/07 12:37pm
Msg #217157

Yes - Overnight Courier Fees to First Merit Settlement Services - $60. Signing Service says loan did fund - he's checking into why the shipping charges were refused.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/18/07 1:59pm
Msg #217163

I just got off the phone with UPS. The guy wasn't able to elaborate, but apparently First Merit's UPS shipping account # is "not able to be billed at this time".

Reply by CopperheadVA on 11/15/07 9:17am
Msg #221387

First Merit has changed its name to The Closing Space. Same address and phone.

On October 19th I spoke to Walt Williams and he claims that they began using DHL on August 1st. I did my job for them on Aug 10th and the instructions were most definitely to use UPS acct #, which they provided the number! Walt said The Closing Space/First Merit would reimburse me as a one-time courtesy for the UPS chargeback shipping charges. Well, here it is a month later and still no reimbursement. No response to my inquiries, and quite frankly the SS, TP Settlement Services, has not been much help. I have sent an invoice to The Closing Space with 8 pages of documentation, and my next step is to contact the PA Dept of State Professional Compliance Office if I don't receive payment immediately.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/26/07 3:47pm
Msg #227685

On Dec 17, 2007, I finally received reimbursement from the Closing Space for the UPS chargeback, after several reminder calls.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.