Notary Rotary
Unfamiliar Signing Agents
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by kdnotary on 10/31/07 2:35pm
Msg #219063

Has anyone ever worked for Reliable Closing(s)? I've been extremely cautious about accepting new work from unfamiliar agencies because I have been burned twice by non-payments since starting this a year ago. It's quite disheartening because I am new to the industry and want to accept work, but I don't work for free! Once bitten, twice shy ... but I hate the thought of turning away legitimately run signing agencies because of a couple bad experiences.

Is/ Are there particular questions that I can ask signing agencies to weed out the illegitimate ones? It's not always convenient for me to Google every agency when they call me for signings if I've never worked for them before. Any suggestions?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/31/07 2:43pm
Msg #219069

If you carry a no-no list with you, you can check it while you are out and about. I started my list from the one posted here in 2005 (see message # 79094). Every time I see negative comments posted here about a company, I add them to my list along with a note of what the comments were.

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 10/31/07 2:48pm
Msg #219071

I doubt there are any questions that will "weed out" bad companies. Too many sharks out there.

Make sure you get the arrangements IN WRITING. You can respond in writing to the confirmation that they send with a receipt of the confirmation and then add to your signature line that you are an independent contractor and as such you are to be paid no matter the outcome of the loan (ie borrower exercising their RTC). If the company doesn't agree to your terms then the confirmation is null and void.

Only suggestions would be to check the companies out here on Notary Rotary, Notary Beware and any other forum that may have a compiled list of hiring agencies.

If you have a means of checking out companies with a BBB in their area or the licensing division to see how long they have been in business.

Good luck.

tannis zamora TN

Reply by kdnotary on 10/31/07 3:20pm
Msg #219083

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/31/07 3:51pm
Msg #219093

No questions will weed out the bad guys. If your fee is met, accept the signing. And then do your checking around at Signing Central or using Search. If they turn out to be a bad co--just send the darn thing back immediately--and tell them why. Nobody is obligated to work for free. Worst thing that can happen (LOL) is they'll never call you again.

Reply by LJ on 10/31/07 4:01pm
Msg #219101

Reliable is VERY reliable. Pays in about 10 days. Great n/m

Reply by Raimond on 11/1/07 10:15am
Msg #219202

Make sure you have a physical address for them.
If it is not in their e-mail or on the conformation we ask for it.
It is hard to mail the letter from your attorney if you don't have it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.