Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Vital Signings, Just a warning Take it anyway you like!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Kris Hasenfratz on 10/24/07 2:17pm
Msg #218082

I did a rush job for Vital signing last week, last minute call they wanted the closing done as soon as I could get docs printed and get there, closing was supposed to be at 8pm, I got there at 8:30 was contacted by them for this closing around 7:30Pm. We agreed upon a price, they sent me the docs with some instructions. I followed the instructions to the T, letting them know when docs were printed, contact with borrower, etc. Got back from the signing, then same stuff having to let them know everything. Than required fax backs of 32 pages. Then wait to drops docs in the AM after approval, etc. All the stupid hoops they wanted. Just to have them tell me that because I didn't ship the docs back to the Title company (Trans Continental Title) in a reusable Fed Ex envelope (which was never anywhere in my instructions) that the Title company took $25 off their fee so they were transfering that to me. I explained to them I knew nothing of the requirement, was told nothing of the requirement etc, that I shouldn't be held responsible etc. Of course their agent who hired me swears she told me about it (NOT) and that they sent it all to me. I sent them back everything I got as proof but needless to say, they can do what they want and there is not much I can do about it except never work for them again, but it sure does tick me off. Especially when I get an email accusing me of not paying attention to details. I paid attention to all the details I had at the time. Just wanted to let you know to be especially careful when you except work from them, if they don't like your fee they will find a way not to pay it after you complete the job.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/24/07 2:27pm
Msg #218085

Did they supply this reusable FedEx envelope? Seems to me if that is a requirement of theirs that they should not do eDocs so that they can send that reusable envelope to you.

I have never heard that one... why does the Title Company need a reusable envelope? Any TC that I have ever been in, has envelopes piled high, so what is the need?

I am with you, just looking for a way to not make payment.

Reply by Kris Hasenfratz on 10/24/07 2:34pm
Msg #218089

Their statement to me was that the title company and Fed Ex have some kind of deal going and that those reusable envelopes are required whether they are legal or letter size. I have never heard of that before and envelope is an envelope, and I used a soft pack envelope that can be reused if necessary. I even stopped by a drop box to see if I could get reusable envelopes legal size and all they had was letter but none of them were reuseable. I still think it was a way to not pay the agreed upon fee and thats all there is to it.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 10/24/07 2:59pm
Msg #218100

I have NO idea what was or wasn't said between you and Vital

Signings. I have done work for TCT for a number of years, and they ALWAYS require that their docs be sent out in the cardboard reusable envelope. They do have a special deal with FedEx, and they WILL doc you 25.00 for any package that does not come back in the correct package. If Vital wants to doc you, they darn well better have had it in writing, otherwise, you should be paid in full. But regardless, that is a TCT requirement.

Reply by Kris Hasenfratz on 10/24/07 3:04pm
Msg #218101

Re: I have NO idea what was or wasn't said between you and Vital

They said that they told me, but they didn't that is all there is to it. But it's their word against mine and since I haven't done any other closings for them that I had this requirement I was not aware of the rule. But they are adament that it is my error and that I was told and since they hold all the cards there is not much I can do about it.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 10/24/07 3:09pm
Msg #218104

Reusabe envelopes

are only available at a Fed Ex Hub, maybe Kinkos or have to be ordered on line.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 10/25/07 12:17am
Msg #218183

Actually there is a lot you can do about it.

Call first thing on Thursday and ask to speak to the Supervisor. Explain to him the exact circumstances. Remind him that you have a cotract, the Purchase Order, with NO SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS RE their clients shipping policy. Let that person no under no circumstances will you except anything but the agreed upon fee. Be polite and courteous, but FIRM. If they do not wish to be sued in small claims court for violating their own contract, then payment should be made in full, and in the agreed upon terms. Anything but the agreed upon terms will acrue the legal maxium amount of interst that your state allows. If you don't stand up for nothing, you will fall for anything. This is not meant as legal advice, but rather the course of action I would pusue if I were in the same circumstance. Best of luck:-)

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/24/07 4:49pm
Msg #218128

Totally agree with Dogmonger...

Yep. TCT has required the re-usable envelopes for years.
BUT, if good ol' Vital (the only co. I've ever 'fired'...and, boy, it felt GOOD!) didn't tell you, it's their bad...stay on 'em!

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 10/24/07 3:07pm
Msg #218102

Transcontinental requirement

is that it must be a reusable Fed Ex envelope or they can dock you $25.00. Has been that way for about 4 years.

Reply by Cam/CA on 10/24/07 3:58pm
Msg #218116

Re: The first time I worked for TransCont. directly I saw

requirement, called the scheduler and asked why a resuable envelope. What I was told was the the reusable envelope is sturdier and protects the docs better (makes sense), it wasn't that they want to reuse the envelope. I now always send my docs back in these, I get them from Kinkos.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/24/07 2:33pm
Msg #218087

I agree this is not right. What kind of shipping packaging did you use? Was it a plastic pak?

Reply by Kris Hasenfratz on 10/24/07 2:35pm
Msg #218090

Yes, with a clear envelope for the label.

Reply by ZeeCA on 10/24/07 2:36pm
Msg #218091

ok, I'll bite.. wih does one get a used one? n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/24/07 2:39pm
Msg #218092

I have never worked for Transcon but I have heard of this "use reusable envelope only or $25 will be deducted" thing on other posts in the past. I think it's cheaper to ship using the cardboard envelope - the plastic pak costs a few bucks more. That's the only thing I can think of why they would require it.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/24/07 2:45pm
Msg #218095

Well in my part of the world... the reusable ones are far and few between... so they wanna stick that requirement on me... they better be over-nighting the docs to me and they better use the envelope that they want me to use to send it back in.

And the soft pac is the safest way to get the docs back to them... most of my packages will not fit in a legal envelope and I can guarantee that won't in a letter folded or no not.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/24/07 2:50pm
Msg #218099

Oh, yeah, they are never stocked in the drop boxes. I have to order them from FedEx on-line. I don't blame you for being upset about the deduction - the SS needs to communicate these things as we are not mind readers. Doubly upsetting after the way you hustled for them the night you completed the job. They should have eaten the $25 once you pointed out their error to them.

Reply by kathy/ca on 10/24/07 6:59pm
Msg #218151

I get these env at Kinkos. n/m

Reply by DogmongerCA on 10/25/07 12:19am
Msg #218184

They were impossible to find a few years ago

Now you can order them online, and they deliver them to your doorstep for free, if you open an account.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 10/24/07 2:47pm
Msg #218097

They may, as I do, get a flat letter rate, whether letter or legal, no matter what the weight. But you should have been instructed up front. Best of luck.

Harry

Reply by Kris Hasenfratz on 10/24/07 2:48pm
Msg #218098

Why, what type of envelope you use matters I don't know. As far as I know for UPS it doesn't heck you can use a Fed Ex evelope to ship UPS (at least ground) if you want, as long as it has the right UPS Label on it. Also I have honestly never seen a Fed Ex reusable envelope what they sent me right from Fed Ex was the soft packs and letter Paper envelopes but the letter ones were not reusable. Now I know UPS has reusable envelopes. Then to keep ticking me off I keep getting emails from them for that closing with links to all my instructions (that I never got that night) and when I click on the links to see if that requirement is stated in those instructions, that link is no longer valid because it was closed over a week ago.

Reply by Calnotary on 10/24/07 3:11pm
Msg #218105

After you get paid form them, send them an invoice for the extra 25.00 with their fed ex account with a fed ex pak. Revenge? Maybe.LOL!

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/24/07 3:16pm
Msg #218108

I like the way you think Calnotary!!!!!

Reply by JamesLee/VA on 10/24/07 3:21pm
Msg #218109

Make sure when you send it, you use an airbill with naming them both shipper and receiver. Put about 50 sheets of paper or maybe a whole ream of 8.5 x 11 from Quill in the pak to add some weight to make sure you are getting your $25 worth!!!

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/24/07 3:31pm
Msg #218111

Yeah, that is important part, use them for shipping and receiving addresses... forgot to mention that part... not so sure I would want to waste a ream of paper, but if I had some that I was recycling, then there you go...

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 10/24/07 4:03pm
Msg #218117

Not if you ever want to work for TCT again

and believe me, you do!! Especially if you can work directly.

Reply by natogan on 10/24/07 3:11pm
Msg #218106

Yes, I've been working directly to the mortgage company and this is a strict requirement.

Reply by Therese on 10/24/07 3:54pm
Msg #218115

Maybe you can forward them (TCT) all your correspondence from Vital the night of the signing. To show that you did not receive correct instructions. Maybe that would help your case. Good Luck

Reply by Blueink_CA on 10/24/07 3:22pm
Msg #218110

Re: I did a TCT closing for Vital

There was a specific email with an attachment that listed special requirements. TCT_Instructions.pdf. This attachment was 9 pages which addressed ink color, date format, NBS, RTC, and yes, it even had graphics for the type of envelope to use (and not use). If you did not get this particular email, then you would not know about the env, because it wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the 6 pages of Vital instructions.

Reply by pan/nd on 10/24/07 7:52pm
Msg #218156

Re: I did a TCT closing for Vital

Blueink is right on.

Did one for Vital about two weeks back. Nothing in writing in their instructions about the Fedex mailer..or in their confirmation.

It was contained within a specific e-mail attachment..which I viewed but didn't print out.

And yes, the attachment also contained TCT stuff about ink color, date format, RTC, ad nausem..9 pages in all.

That's the only place where it was.

No attachment...no knowledge of the Fedex mailer.

IF you didn't get it..you have a legit b*tch.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 10/25/07 9:19am
Msg #218204

Re: I did a TCT closing - direct...

On 10-02...saw the directions about the reuseable envelope. FedEx has a hub at the airport about 6 miles from me and they said they rarely see these envelopes. Only when a customer drops one off. I called TCT as directed in their instructions and told them there were no reuseables available and they said they would make a note and NOT dock me the $25.00. In addition, they said they would order some reuseables and have them shipped directly to me from FedEx. They met my fee and paid in full with the check being received on 10-19. I would work for them any time. Never worked for Vital, so I can't rate them but TCT is #1 in my book.
(just need to communicate with them when a ? comes up)

Reply by Cynthia/CA on 10/24/07 3:44pm
Msg #218114

Even during the good times - Vital Signings was a difficult company to work for. They hand-hold through the entire closing process, dozens and dozens of faxbacks. In the past, they paid a decent fee and within 2 weeks - now the pay has been cut. I haven't worked for them in a while.

Reply by Martha Gall on 10/24/07 4:07pm
Msg #218118

I would advise them that to get the reuseable pak it would have taken an extra day to ship the docs. (If in fact you had been aware of this requirement).

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/24/07 4:10pm
Msg #218119

Kris. Just chalk it up to experience. We all believe what

you are saying. Take it in stride. Hold your head up and move on. Don't let them bring you down to their level. TCT is an excellent company esp if you work directly with them. If Vital failed to tell you this (and I'm sure they did), they probably arent' going to admit to it. No use in arguing any more. Let it go, you win and can sleep at night knowing you did what you were told.

Reply by JanelWI on 10/24/07 4:13pm
Msg #218121

I used to do many signings for Vital, in fact they were the first company I did a closing for. Great timely payments and they met my fee. My fees have not changed since. They have changed and I was contacted a few months back to do a closing for them and I was told that I had a top notch rating with them but it said next to my name **Too Expensive, won't negotiate fees**. I was totally offended, I said so another words, top notch signing agents are being overlooked for the cheaper ones? It seems to me they could lose a few hand holding schedulers and rely on experienced signing agents and still save money in the long run.

Reply by Ndwa on 10/24/07 5:10pm
Msg #218131

This good example of a recent thread

It's not your fault if SS (Vital) fail to communicate in writing their client's requirement on the confirmation. However, I know TCT always include signing instructions along with escrow docs doesn't matter what.

Reply by Todd/OH on 10/24/07 8:32pm
Msg #218167

I remember doing a signing for them in May. I didn't request a Saturday pickup and they refused to pay. I felt I did my work and took this to the top with the lender. I got a threatening letter from their attorney - first and LAST signing I do for them !!! I don't need their grief.

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 10/24/07 8:46pm
Msg #218171

What they refer to as a re-usable envelope is the cardboard envelope. Anything made of tyvek or plastic is referred to as a pack. The per oz.rate for "packs" is higher than the cardboard envelope rates. That is why some TC's want the cardboard envelope. Also, Fedex has a deal with some high volume shippers whereby anything that fits in a cardboard envelope is the same price regardless of weight: that's their bonus envelope rate but if one uses a "pack" the weight rule applies and since it is a higher rate to begin with it can really make a difference.
Also, when you are looking for FedEx and UPS supplies you can go to Kinko's or UPS stores but also any Mail center will usually have supplies for whatever shipper they handle so AIM Mail Centers, Postnet, Pak mail etc... are all sources for the shipping supplies we need.

Reply by Rachel/ORWA on 10/24/07 11:37pm
Msg #218180

Ask your FedEx driver to bring you supplies. He/she can

get them from the hub and deliver them to you, in whatever quantity you want. (They do have legal-sized reusable (two tape strips) cardboard envelopes.)

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/25/07 6:53am
Msg #218187

Wow - they withheld the entire signing fee for that?

That's amazing - it's so frustrating that they hold most of the cards with payment. Yes, we have small claims avenues for recourse, but it's always iffy whether it's worth it to pursue that option, since you incur additional costs and time hassles. Unlike many notaries, big companies like TCT and the lenders already have their attorneys available to handle issues that come up. What did the threatening letter say?

That being said, I do always get the package out on Saturday if I have a Friday evening signing. They always want it back on Monday. Poses a particular problem on small holiday weekends, such as last Labor Day. I had a difficult time finding a place to drop the package - I didn't realize my local places would not have pick-up that Saturday due to the holiday.

Reply by Desiree Watson on 10/25/07 11:45am
Msg #218249

I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is crazy enough getting last minute signings as a courtesy in their time of need. I had a situation where a New York based company asked me to perform a closing in North Carolina because the second party to the transaction was residing in North Carolina. This was in March. They refused to pay me because someone apparently forgot to put the notary fee on the HUD. They wouldn't take my call. So finally, me being a native New Yorker decided to take a trip up there (June) to visit my grandma and showed up at their office. They were very surpised that they would see me. I sat there until someone acknowledged me and finally I got paid.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.