Notary Rotary
What a stinky day to have trick or treating
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by cassiewi on 10/26/07 2:43pm
Msg #218490

My neighboorhood decides to have trick or treating tonight of all nights. Why oh why if you you're going to move the day from Halloween, do you move it to a Friday night? The city is trick or treating Sunday afternoon, but no we need to be different.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/26/07 2:51pm
Msg #218492

Well you could live out in the sticks like me, and then you dont ever have to worry about trick or treaters... most people would not come down my drive now, much less at halloween... they say it is scary...

Why not have trick or treating on the actual night???? I don't remember them ever changing it when I was a kid (course that was long time ago), we went on the actual night...

Reply by cassiewi on 10/26/07 3:03pm
Msg #218495

You know, when I lived in California

we always went trick or treating on Halloween. I have no idea why they do it this way out here. We magically get a notice in our mail box telling us when we're going to trick or treat. All the different communities out here do it differently. I just wish they'd stop having it on Friday night!

Reply by Pierces Notary Services on 10/26/07 3:09pm
Msg #218496

Re: You know, when I lived in California

We generally have it a different night as well but this year it is the 31st. Does seem the same.

Reply by dickb/wi on 10/26/07 4:12pm
Msg #218505

cassie...it's because there is no school as the......

teachers have conferences or teachers convention...i am not sure which one.....the kids are off and have time to do it.......

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/26/07 7:07pm
Msg #218522

If cities can change Independence day from July 4th why not

Halloween. First of all its really a non-holiday and secondly Friday night wold allow people and kids to stay up late and not have to worry about having to go to school of work the next day. I never really understood Halloween, its really All Saints day that is the holiday, you know the day after the Hallowed Evening (Halloween). It just one of those Pagan holidays that the Catholic Church synchronized with a Christian Holiday and Halloween more recently has taken on a life of its own. When you analyze the concept of Halloween it has some very interesting considerations and contradictions that I think few people ever think about. Anyway, that is my foolish opinion and as a US Citizen I am as much entitled to it as any other. Smile

Reply by cassiewi on 10/27/07 8:07am
Msg #218560

Re: If cities can change Independence day from July 4th why not

Yes, Charles, but Saturday night would be so much more convienent for parents and kids could still stay up late, I hate doing it on Friday, everybody rushing around, trying to get ready.

Reply by EastTxNotary on 10/26/07 3:12pm
Msg #218498

Some of my neighbors' kids call my house "the Amityville house"... I just found that out recently, so now I know why nobody comes to trick or treat here!

Reply by Mindy_WA on 10/26/07 5:22pm
Msg #218515

Well, hmmm...I had no idea that anyone could set the day....

to trick or treat. I can see the logic, but we've always just done it on Halloween.

My children's dentist told them a couple weeks ago that his office is an 'official Halloween Candy Disposal Center'. They can just drop off their candy and his office will dispose of it so that no one gets hurt, or gets cavities...LOL!

They just looked at him like "YOU CAN'T Be SERIOUS!?!"

SO Funny!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/26/07 7:11pm
Msg #218523

East Tx Notary, I like Philip live down a spooky dirt road

and no one comes to my house on Halloween, it seems to me as though it defy's reason, isn't Halloween about spooky? Your "Amityville house" can't be any spookier than an old tree-covered dirt road leading to who knows where...Smile

Reply by EastTxNotary on 10/26/07 8:05pm
Msg #218534

Re: East Tx Notary, I like Philip live down a spooky dirt road

I don't know Charles...my house is surrounded by woods on 3 sides and sits on a little hill. When the lights upstairs are the only ones on, it DOES look like the Amityville house (except it isn't white).

Since I first moved here, I've been surprised by scorpions, tarantulas, coral snakes and now... a cat eating coyote. Sounds like Amityville, doesn't it?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/27/07 2:55am
Msg #218554

I guess, I've got cat eating coyotes, cat eating foxes, and

dog eating cougars and I am in the woods, fortunately I don't have scorpions, tarantulas or coral snakes. But I'll tell you the one night I could not get my truck started after I closed my bar, I didn't dare walk the half mile down my own dirt road. Besides all the other critters I also have bands of feral dogs cruising the area and they are meaner than all the others put together: I had to rescue a fisherman down by the river one evening as the dogs surrounded him and were approaching against the river. But that's ok my house is hardly the Amityville house, its just downright scary at night! Oh did I tell you about the bears?

Reply by css_mi on 10/26/07 7:15pm
Msg #218524

This takes the cake.....

In my son's neighborhood, a group sent around a letter to everyone asking that they each set up a booth at the end of their driveway to hand out candy so the kids wouldn't get so tired walking up to everyone's front door!!! They live in a normal subdivision with normal length driveways. My son and his wife said NO WAY! No wonder some kids act the way the do!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/26/07 7:52pm
Msg #218530

Re: This takes the cake.....

And the parents probably carry their kid's candy bags around for them, too!

Reply by cassiewi on 10/27/07 8:11am
Msg #218561

The only bag I carried was my 2 year olds by the end of the

night. It was full and he walked the whole time. I was so proud of him. He went up to the door with his brother and sister. It was funny though because when they gave him a treat, he looked at them like, more please. This is the first year he really knew what was going on. But he did say thank you quite often. Some people were in the driveway and they had bonfires going. All I know is no one better tell me to sit in my driveway to make easier. Great if they want to, but don't request they do it.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/27/07 2:56am
Msg #218555

Re: This takes the cake.....That's incredible! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.