Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What do you send to schedulers as a thank you?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 10/5/07 11:41pm
Msg #215201

The holidays are getting pretty close (Christmas) and if you are working with a company and getting a bunch of signings from them, I think it's a good idea to enclose a Starbucks/movie tickets/etc for about approx $25 to THE PERSON WHO IS HIRING YOU!! I am talking about a "bread & butter company"Wink

The reason I put this is bold and caps is you don't want the person opening the FedEx envelope, with the returned loan documents to be the person who gets the Starbucks card.

Any other suggestions or ideas to share would be appreciated

Reply by ananotary on 10/5/07 11:44pm
Msg #215202

I have always done that and it works great!

My partners and I also sponser "pizza" parties for our larger accounts. I have also sent smaller amount gift cards mid year.

Reply by Nick/MD on 10/6/07 5:54am
Msg #215208

Re: I have always done that and it works great!

I have always done gift baskets at Christmas from Harry & David... you can find them on line.

Reply by WDMD on 10/6/07 6:49am
Msg #215209

I used to send small gifts until I got e-mails from a couple of companies telling me if I did not send gifts to everyone at the company then I could not send them just to schedulers. I even had one company send me a e-mail detailing how much it would cost for a pizza party for the entire office LOL.

Reply by HudsonBayCA on 10/6/07 11:30am
Msg #215226

That's the size of it. You don't do something nice for 1 person in the office but for all of them.

Reply by Roger_OH on 10/6/07 11:43am
Msg #215227

And tax-deductible as a business expense!

I believe it's up to $25 per gift. John/NorCal can confirm.

Reply by BetsyMI on 10/6/07 1:25pm
Msg #215236

Better wait to see if they're still employed in December! n/m

Reply by BobRogers_FL on 10/6/07 1:39pm
Msg #215239

Nothing...it's wrong.

Personally, I think this type of conduct is unethical. As a retired Federal employee I have seen people fired from a promising career for accepting a "ball point pen" from a vendor. It was drilled into us from day one and at least yearly for over 20 years that this is something you do not do! My conscious will not allow me to play those types of games and schedulers who respond to bribes are just a bad as those who offer them. That is one of the biggest problems with the industry to day. People just don't want to play fair.
This, of course, is just my on personal opinion.

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/6/07 1:55pm
Msg #215244

I understand your thinking on this.

I consider two things in this situation; the value of the gift being given, and the intent. A small gift given as a thank you for past work (and clearly presented as such) is acceptable in my opinion. I make certain in my note not to say anything about the future like "looking forward to working with you in the coming year," or "think of me if you need someone in blah blah county," etc. But I would DEFINITELY find out what their company policy is before sending anything.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/6/07 2:40pm
Msg #215254

Re: I understand your thinking on this.

Last year money was tight in my household and just could not afford to buy gifts for companies. I had my daughter (who scrapbooks) make me some very special Christmas cards. Inside the card was a special thank you for the business, a Christmas blessing and a pack of post it notes. A couple of companies commented on these when they called. A simple, handmade gift (which I didn't do) made a big impression. Keep it simple "stupid" (have you read that book?) lol

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/7/07 12:48am
Msg #215294

Re: I understand your thinking on this.

"But I would DEFINITELY find out what their company policy is before sending anything."

Excellent suggestion. I've received notices in the past from some of the bigger companies advising that it is against their company policy for any of their employees to accept any gifts of any value.

For some of my better local clients, I bring a favorite home-baked goodie for the office to share. It's become a bit of a tradition and some offices have come to look forward to it. I deliver them in person, and I agree that it is important to present it as a token thank you.

Reply by NoteWorthyOR on 10/7/07 1:55am
Msg #215302

Simple Way To Show Appreciation

I use a cool program called Sendoutcards.com/5556 to send my personalized notes and cards.
I can put my own pics and message in it, click send and it's printed and mailed for me. (.31 to 1.49 plus a stamp) It includes a contact manager so I don't have to find the name and address every time. I can choose to have a gift card included if I want. Check it out! Go to my website, you can set up a sample account and send a couple free cards. (One of My Many Hats!)

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 10/7/07 3:37am
Msg #215304

Re: Nothing...it's wrong.

I give each of my borrowers a high-quality silver and black pen with my name and phone number of it. Some companies follow up with surveys of borrowers; I want them to remember me favorably. I also include a pen when I encounter a new documents processor (I realize they don't schedule my assignments, but they can in so many ways make life much easier for a signing agent). If I work with a scheduler repeatedly, I ultimately make sure he or she gets one of the pens, too. At Christmas, I send those offices (not individuals) which have been regular clients a box of Turtles, though in Austin the chocolate-covered pecan & caramel candies are called Longhorns.

Over the years, I have tried all sorts of promotional items: key-chain Swiss Army pen knives with scissors; pocket calendar schedulers; Post-It notes; fridge magnets; laser pens. Overwhelmingly, the best response I have gotten is to the pen I now use, which costs me less than $2 each. They are well worth the investment in the goodwill they generate.

It is standard business practice to leave with a customer a permanent reminder of who you are, the transaction in which you were a part, and how to get in touch with you. It makes sense from the perspective of both the profferer and the recipient, and if kept within reasonable limits is not only acceptable, but desirable.

The chocolate candy, of course, is outright pandering to a customer's most basic instinct. But then, nobody ever accused a lawyer, even a retired one, of an excess of moral sensibilities.

I have mentioned it before, but for those who are interested and don't recall, National Pen Co. has the best prices of any promotional products company I have seen. I buy the Regal pen in silver and black.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/7/07 11:37am
Msg #215327

I like National Pen also

The the best response I have received is the Swiss Army type knife on a keychain. I also like to include the magnetic 2008 calendars when I return loan docs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.