Notary Rotary
What do you tell borrowers when you know your day will
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by NCLisa on 10/28/07 8:59pm
Msg #218714

be off schedule? We all know what it is like at the end of the month. I've never had a day at the end of the month where my docs have all come on time. One late closing can throw the entire day off. Having to run miles out of our way to print docs at our home or office and get back out on the road, can make things even later. What do you tell your borrowers when 1 closing could throw your entire day off by and hour or more?

Reply by CF on 10/28/07 9:06pm
Msg #218716

I call early and explain the situation and tell them that I will update them if I will be running late. It is out of both of our controls! People are generally nice about it, if you give them notice. It works out for me and I have been doing it for 4 years. Good luck!Smile Wish I was that busy - was on Friday not so much yet for this week.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/28/07 9:06pm
Msg #218717

You just never know when FedEx/UPS/DHL are going to show up. They don't know you're printing the docs unless you tell....

Reply by LJ on 10/28/07 9:12pm
Msg #218720

I had a crazy Friday night with 2 scheduled back to back several miles apart. I get another call at 6:30. I tell them that it will be at least 9:30 before I can get there. No problem they said. Well, it was a problem for the borrowers. When I called them, they said I could not come that late and were not willing to stay up past 9. I tried to explain it to them and they wouldn't hear of it. Sometimes there is nothing we can do.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 10/28/07 10:08pm
Msg #218724

I don't let one late signing throw off my entire schedule. The signing that is throwing me off will get moved to the end of the line and if anything, I will call to ask if it's ok with the next person to be early. I also try to do my own scheduling and I don't schedule an appointment until I have the docs, be they edocs or overnight. The times that a signing service or tc give you to be there are almost always arbitrary and are usually flexable.

Sometimes, no matter how you plan, what you do, a signing will run over and make you late, or you have a mechanical problem, traffic ,whatever.. If the signing I am on is having issues, I will execuse myself to call the next in line and apologize profusely that I am running late due to a signing that is running long. I have never had an issue ......

Reply by Ernest__CT on 10/28/07 9:10pm
Msg #218719

I simply tell each borrower that edocs may be late. n/m

Reply by PAW on 10/28/07 9:14pm
Msg #218721

When the schedule gets hectic, like at EOM, deadlines for edocs must be set and enforced. Otherwise, uninvolved borrowers may be affected. If a deadline isn't met, I don't change all other appointments to make the delayed assignment only a hour or so late. Late docs means that the assignment is pushed to the end of the list (or fit in if a time slot is available). It's not fair to the borrowers who have all their ducks in a row to be penalized for late documents by the lender, title company or ss of another borrower.

Borrowers whose docs are late, are informed of the changes in scheduling as is the hiring entity. If the moving of the time to after other set appointments isn't acceptable, then the hiring agency will need to find someone else, who may have a lighter schedule and can better accommodate the assignment. It's not about "my" schedule, but the "borrower's convenience".

Reply by NCLisa on 10/28/07 10:18pm
Msg #218725

What I do depends on what the borrowers tell me when I call and how far out of my way I may have to go to print docs. I really miss the couriers we had in CA to deliver docs everywhere!!

Now that the heat is subsiding, I can put my printer back in my car.

Reply by Kathy/ID on 10/29/07 9:55am
Msg #218742

I had this happen on friday evening. I could not get a hold of the borrower to confirm my appt for 6:00 so I moved his to the end and called my second one and seen if I could be early and I did that one first then tried the other borrower and still could not get ahold of them.

Whatever the reason I basically put the one that I do not have on time to the back of the pile and move to the next one. then go back to the first one when done.

Reply by CJ on 10/29/07 1:39pm
Msg #218756

I also ask the borrowers

What their schedule is for the day if when I call them to tell them things might not go well. Then I can find out: Who has to go to bed early because they get up at 3:00 am, who has a class that night and won't be back until 10:30, and who sits up all night watching TV. Then I have a better idea how to shift everyone around if things go badly. I tell everyone that it's EOM and things might not go smoothly, and I also tell them I will call them if I expect to be late.

Sometimes I know by 3:00 pm, that I am already running late for my 8:00 pm, so I let them know right away. But I have not had these problems since the loan situation got bad.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.