Notary Rotary
Would this cause problems?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 10/17/07 11:12am
Msg #216919

I had a friend call me and wanted some documents notarized right away.

When she came she had some closing docs from a house she owns in a different state.

The documents didn't have a venue they had signature line for me and where to put my seal with my commission expiration date.

I stamped my seal signed them and added the date. The sellers signature line had the date of the 16th I notarized and dated my part for the 14th. would this be looked at as backdating?

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/17/07 11:21am
Msg #216922

What date did you put in your log book for this notary? If it is logged as the 14th, then no you are not back dating, and the reason for the 16th being on the line for the seller was maybe that was the day they were actually signing.

Reply by Cam/CA on 10/17/07 11:21am
Msg #216923

Re: You date your certificates the actual date that you did

the Notarization no matter what the date on the docs. If you notarized today with the 14th then yes this is backdating. How can you Notarize the 14th when they signed the doc on the 16th? makes no sense unless I am reading your message wrong.

Reply by Cam/CA on 10/17/07 11:23am
Msg #216925

Re: How can you Notarize on the 14th if the docs are dated

the 16th?

Reply by Tony_FL on 10/17/07 11:36am
Msg #216926

If you did not add the venue information and verify the correct wording for your state of the notarial certificate, then yes, this would be an invalid notarization and can be (probably will be) refused to be recorded at the court house.

As for the date ... did she sign the documents in front of you on the 14th, and that is what you put in your journal? If so, the dating portion would be correct.

I am not a lawyer, and don't want to be one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.