Notary Rotary
need info on computers
Notary Discussion History

need info on computers
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by nancykay_mo on 10/26/07 12:00pm
Msg #218441

need info on computers

I have a very old workhorse computer but is has Windows 98 for OS. My 4 in 1 printer died. I have shopped around for a new 4-1 printer but all I have found need xp or 2000 for OS. Also an in need of new monitor. Have considered a whole new computer but can't decide on which brand to buy. Can anyone offer me some suggestions? I have a Brothers HL5150DLT for notary jobs. Just need 4-1 for other print jobs for other home business. TIA

Reply by OR on 10/26/07 12:12pm
Msg #218446

Re: We only use only Dell

You need to look for processing speed and memory too. Vista is the latest operating system out now. I am not sure you will be able to get any windows or XP systems form Dell. You could go all HP for both computer and printers. I wonder if they would let you do payments? Good Luck and have fun.

Reply by ZeeCA on 10/26/07 12:16pm
Msg #218449

If you do not want vista... your choices are basically dell and gateway... I had to order one built from dell as my other business is not supported by vista.... be prepared for dell he** is my only warning... they really will fix probs but it takes a while... they sent me lots of upgrades and product to make up for it............ (about $1,000 of product)

Reply by John_NorCal on 10/26/07 12:22pm
Msg #218454

I have a Dell desk top, a Dell Inspiron lap top and I gave a Dell lap top to my daughter. The only one that I had a problem with was my daughters. The mother board went out, but they came right out and fixed it with no problem. I'm sticking with Dell for the future. The HP Presario that my wife has is a piece of c____p. Constantly has a run time error no matter what I try to do.

Reply by Vince/KS on 10/26/07 4:15pm
Msg #218507

Dell - be careful

Bought a Dell for a Christmas gift. It was supposed to have a $100 rebate. I asked about the timing as it was purchased in early November to make sure it would get there on time. They said "no problem on rebate - just make sure you advise them it was a Christmas gift and we will allow you the time needed to get in the rebate paper-work." Regardless of the level of supervisor spoken to they said they would not go into early January to accept the paper work. I had explained that it would be set up over the holidays - they had said no problem - but it was. So, I call this my $100 lesson learned story and have not bought a Dell since. Have also switched several customers away from them.

Toshiba provides local 1 day service to us here and they do a great job on laptops.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/26/07 12:28pm
Msg #218458

I have a Dell Desktop and laptop that I had both built... the desktop cost $2800 and the laptop cost $3600. I am not much for the buy of the shelf stuff... as you can see. They both are work mules... have a Dell printer to go with that too.

I also have an HP Desktop that I had them build for me, it only cost $1600, and a Gateway laptop that I did just buy off the shelf, but had Geek Squad build it up for me at Best Buy.

So what I am trying to say is that I have both a Dell and HP, they both are good quality computers, and I have never had any problems with either that was not taken care of by the manufacture when notified I needed help.

I have an HP printer that is my notary printer... you cannot go wrong with HP printers in my opinion.

Reply by Ndwa on 10/26/07 1:09pm
Msg #218476

$2800 PC & $3600 laptop...WOW!

They're 24K gold plated, right?

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/26/07 2:11pm
Msg #218485

Re: $2800 PC & $3600 laptop...WOW!

No just loaded to the hilt with everything you could imagine... fast as all get out too!!! They would cook supper if I had had the oven door put in... but I figured I wouldn't go that far out...

Reply by Kathy/ID on 10/26/07 1:48pm
Msg #218481

I have a dell desktop and laptop. I love both of them. the desktop had a usb port go out, I called dell and they had someone to me to replace the motherboard in the matter of 2 days. NO problems since. I love dell products. I also have a dell photo printer and a dell laser printer. The only thing I do not like about the printers is that you have to order ink and toner from them.

I believe on dells outlet section you can still get xp. www.delloutlet.com

Hope this helps you

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/26/07 6:41pm
Msg #218518

Re: need info on computers - Kathy

Try www.tonerkits.com

http://www.tonerkits.com/featuredtonerkits.html#Dell

or

http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com/ink-cartridges/Dell (scroll down and they have toner cartridges as well)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.