Notary Rotary
paper curl aughhhhhhhh!
Notary Discussion History

paper curl aughhhhhhhh!
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by marko727 on 10/29/07 10:37pm
Msg #218832

paper curl aughhhhhhhh!

ALRIGHT I'VE HAD IT! Does anyone have any secret recipes for battling paper curl? I have a good laser printer (Brother HD-5250DN) and I've tried lots of different brands of paper. Sometimes the paper comes out nice and flat, but other times, no. So I am never quite comfortable leaving the room while I print out a 100 page packet.
Even my research of the issue on line did not provide answer to the problem.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/29/07 10:56pm
Msg #218834

Humidity affects paper. And that's the best I can do. Whether it's too much or too little, you'll have to figure out.

Reply by jba/fl on 10/29/07 11:05pm
Msg #218835

paper curl

Humidity - try turning paper over if it sits too long in tray. What side do you normally put down? Try the other.
Some papers just seem to curl anyway - I have been having better luck w/Quill's brand.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 10/29/07 11:32pm
Msg #218840

I was advised to put the paper in the freezer after I had a few AHHHHHS!
Helped

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/29/07 11:34pm
Msg #218841

I don't know about Brother specifically but HP has a control

that adjusts the wattage of the laser and it is used to control paper curl. By reducing the fusing heat you reduce the paper curl. Perhaps Brother has a similar control.

Reply by JamesLee/VA on 10/30/07 11:00am
Msg #218870

Where is this control on the HP 1300? n/m

Reply by PAW on 10/30/07 4:38pm
Msg #218931

HP LJ 1300 Does not have a setting ...

... for less paper curl (reducing the fusing temperature). (At least not that I can find.)

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/30/07 5:04am
Msg #218846

humidity, brand, AND ...

with absolutely no basis for why this would be, we did find (back in corp days where there were lots of printers) that putting the paper in 'upside down' (relative to the way it's packaged) helped a LOT.

Reply by PAW on 10/30/07 8:32am
Msg #218861

The is an "UP" or "Print" side to most paper

One side of a piece of paper is not the same as the other. Many paper manufactures actually have a "print side" or "up" arrow on the package to show how to properly load the paper in laser printers to reduce curling. Paper with a "print side" usually are a bit smoother (e.g. glossier) than the other side for better fusing characteristics. Additionally, the manufacturing process of ordinary copy paper creates a better side for printing.

Thus, if you are having "curling" problems, then turning the paper over in the feed tray may certainly help.

Reply by BetsyMI on 10/30/07 9:26am
Msg #218865

Re: The is an "UP" or "Print" side to most paper

Weird, I have the same printer and I have never had a problem with paper curl. I've also never made any conscious effort to put the paper in one way or another.

Reply by pamow/oh on 10/30/07 10:42am
Msg #218867

Re: The is an "UP" or "Print" side to most paper

I have a Brother dual tray laser printed and I too have just started to experience paper curl.
I've had this print for over 2 yrs and this just started happening with the last two boxes of paper. I've always used the same paper, go figure. I'll try the up side trick you never know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.