Notary Rotary
what is going on??????!!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by ToniK on 10/17/07 7:12pm
Msg #217037

What is going on with all the calls about BACKDATING!!!! Are they serious? I wonder who is doing these loans.

Reply by pan/nd on 10/17/07 9:33pm
Msg #217060

Got a call from a regional SS wanting me to go and get a mortgage re-signed that was

rejected by the county recorder...back in July.

Seems the wife's first name was mangled.

Ah...the date on the mortgage was JULY.

SS says for gosh sakes...don't backdate.

Fine with me...I wasn't going to.

Reply by CJ on 10/17/07 10:27pm
Msg #217071

Backdating

One time the loan officer (or someone) asked me to backdate. I said no way: it was a felony for me to do it, and a misdomeaner for him to even ask. He said, "C'mon, all the other notaries do it for me". I thought, "Geez, sounds like a line in the backseat of a car." Of course, I told him to call one of his (fictitous) "other" notaires.

I am not going to risk my job, fines, and jail time for some stranger who couldn't get their stupid docs signed on time.

Reply by JK/TX on 10/17/07 11:13pm
Msg #217078

Re: Backdating

My line... for anyone that ask me to risk my life/lively hood for their lack of preparation: "I don't look good in stripes.... and I 'reeeally hate' to combination of bread and water..... works every time, no questions asked... and they never push the issue.

Reply by christiSocal on 10/18/07 1:24am
Msg #217087

I was doing some marketing a couple months ago, the guy I was speaking with said,"You do back date right?" My response was a slightly dumbfounded "Ahhh, NO!" He tells me his notaries do it all the time, no big deal. Well, he's never called me and I'm fine with that!

Reply by CJ on 10/18/07 8:15am
Msg #217103

One time I wanted clarification about WHY backdating was so bad. I was not going to do it, but I figured that knowing more would help me. I asked a SS. She said if I backdate, all the borrower has to do to get out of the loan is say that they backdated. Then EVERYONE else is BIG in trouble: notary, SS, title company, etc., but the borrower is off the hook. Who needs that?

Reply by SharonMN on 10/18/07 11:31am
Msg #217143

Why backdating is so bad

...Because the entire point of a notarization is for an independent, government-appointed, witness to certify that certain things occurred as stated in the certificate: Namely that John X. Doe showed ID and appeared before the notary on such-and-such a date and acknowledged his signature.

In order for a notarization to be a useful tool, people need to be able to rely on the fact that it was done properly. If proper procedure is not followed, and the certificate is not completed truthfully and correctly, the concept of "notarization" has no value and you might as well just eliminate the notarization.

Reply by Doris_CO on 10/18/07 12:16pm
Msg #217150

Re: Why backdating is so bad

Backdating is bad because it violates Reg. Z, a Fed. law, which gives the borrower three days to review the loan and cancel without penalty if they choose.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 10/18/07 7:23pm
Msg #217217

Well said Sharon...... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.