Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
A notary notarized a POA that was a forged signature.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by lowerAL on 6/16/08 3:57pm
Msg #251511

What should be done about it and what are the consequences?

Reply by snowflake/PA on 6/16/08 4:02pm
Msg #251512

How do you know for certain the signature was a forgery?

Reply by lowerAL on 6/16/08 4:11pm
Msg #251515

absolutely. 100%

Reply by sue_pa on 6/16/08 4:35pm
Msg #251519

the person's whose signature was forged should contact an attorney and/or some type law enforcement. Your question is WAY too vague.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 6/16/08 4:59pm
Msg #251527

Let's not jump to conclusions that the notary was involved. If I had notarized a forged signature, it would be because I was fooled with fake ID or credible witnesses who were in cahoots on the fraud. However, I ultimately WOULD want to know if I had notarized for someone who had committed fraud.

The notary may be culpable, but if the ID matched (perhaps it was a good fake ID or stolen ID and the fraudulent signer was similar looking on the photo) or if credible witnesses were used, then the notary has done his or her job properly.

I'm not sure what the circumstances are, but if you are sure that fraud was committed then file a police report and let the authorities handle contacting the notary.

Reply by Donna LaBelle on 6/16/08 5:45pm
Msg #251532

believe it or not there are cities such as Sacramento, where law enforcement claims that they don't have the resources to pursue this type of criminal, or it has to be an extreme dollar amount before they will. Also, here in Sacramento they don't have the resources to investigate vehicle burglaries or stolen vehicles. They will eventually respond if someone else discovers a stolen vehicle ( finds it for them) but they don't do that very quickly either and their first action is to have it towed and then contact the owner so that by the time the owner finds out it has been recovered, they have to come up with storage and towing fees., but as far as reporting these things, we have to wait until their little service centers are open, and phone in or go to the service center, they take a report and neglect to put all of the details in the report, and then they stamp it like it is going to detectives, and then simply file it in a drawer and that is as far as it goes.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/16/08 5:59pm
Msg #251539

Dang, I thought you guys had a direct line to Ahnold...

one phone call and he goes out and puts the hurt on the villans Wink! Why can't life be more like the movies???

Reply by RJE/MI on 6/16/08 7:56pm
Msg #251557

What about reporting the notary

to the SOS?

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/16/08 8:06pm
Msg #251559

What about getting all the facts before reporting anybody? n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 6/17/08 8:31am
Msg #251613

There isn't much information here about the scenario. If it involved the transfer of title of encumbering debt on the property, in CA the notary is culpable if he/she knew the signature was forged. After all, the notary's primary duty is to prevent fraud. This situation is a felony for the person who forged the signature, and the notary in CA would lose their commission and face criminal charges and penalties of $10,000 involving real estate transactions. The notary would never be able to obtain a commission in CA again. It's hairy and scary.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/17/08 8:43am
Msg #251615

FURTHER, the incident should immediately be reported to the SOS, and perhaps to the District Attorney's office. In CA, the DA's office is already on overload and will prosecute in time, so often individuals must hire private counsel to go after perpetrators of fraud, especially if it is senior financial abuse. There are consequences for the notary and for the person who forged the signature. POAs, in CA, require the thumbprint of the signer giving the POA to another, whether RE is involved or not.

Reply by lowerAL on 6/18/08 9:55am
Msg #251787

This was my signature that was forged. My soon to be ex-husband, forged my signature on a POA. My attorney is holding this over his head. However, I want to know what can happen to the notary and the car dealership that she works for? Does any one know?

Reply by lowerAL on 6/18/08 9:56am
Msg #251788

Re: A notary notarized a POA that was a forged signature. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.