Notary Rotary
A question
Notary Discussion History

A question
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Jahari Davis on 6/3/08 7:31am
Msg #249805

A question

Good morning. I have a question for anyone that wishes to answer it. I have a co-worker that has a relative from out of state that wishes to travel to Canada but does not have a birth certificate. They can have a copy faxed over to them. Can I notarize that faxed copy for them to get back and forth across the border?

Reply by sue_pa on 6/3/08 7:35am
Msg #249806

this belongs in Notary 101 - in what I'm reasonably certain is every state.

Reply by nolanotary on 6/3/08 7:44am
Msg #249807

Notarizing a birth certificate is a big NO NO. Only the Office of Public Health, Vital Records Registry, can certify a birth certificate.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/3/08 8:07am
Msg #249808

Correct, you cannot notarize or make certified copies of vital records. I might suggest you get a Notary Law Primer for your state to have handy for reference.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/3/08 8:12am
Msg #249809

Not if you're in CA...You can notarize a document custodian affidavit where the document custodian swears under oath that the birth certificate is theirs, however, not sure if a copy will suffice. Might need to be an original certified birth certificate. Why don't you call the Canadian consulate in your city, that would be a better resource for you, to find out what they require.

Reply by Art_MD on 6/3/08 8:24am
Msg #249812

I may be wrong, but I don't think just a birth certificate and DL will work any more. You need a passport to get back into the USA.

Art

Reply by Jahari Davis on 6/3/08 8:25am
Msg #249814

Passport rules dont take effect for land crossings until next year.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/3/08 1:02pm
Msg #249851

Re: A question -- Taken from Homeland Security Site

Land/Sea Travel
Beginning January 31, 2008, the United States will end the practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship at the border.

U.S. citizens ages 19 and older must present documentation that proves both identity and citizenship. Identification documents must include a photo, name and date of birth

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

Reply by KathiAZ on 6/3/08 2:40pm
Msg #249865

Re: A question -- Taken from Homeland Security Site

We just recently came back from Mexico, Crossing at Lukeville. They only checked one ID in our vehicle (We all have passports) and I heard from other that were coming back, they got through with only a drivers license. Some got a lecture on needing proper ID, but no one was held at the border.
Of course this was a busy weekend, when a couple thousand Americans go to Rocky Point to see a Tempe band play.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/3/08 2:59pm
Msg #249867

Re: A question - passport from Canada.

The last time I looked this up, an adult needed a passport for re-entry when arriving by air in the US. But delays are still in place for entry by land or water until summer 2009.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 6/3/08 12:43pm
Msg #249844

What country was the friend born in?

Reply by OR on 6/3/08 12:47pm
Msg #249846

Not in Oregon

Reply by Pamela Hoyle on 6/3/08 12:58pm
Msg #249849

OR--it's a whole 'nother country!

Reply by SueW/Tn on 6/3/08 1:38pm
Msg #249857

Hi Jahari...long time no see

I'm replying to this NOT with any information BUT with some advice:

My sister-in-law is Canadian and she lives 6 months here and 6 months there. My brother has been taking her back and forth for 22 years, crosses at the same place each and every time. This time they were pulled in and gone over with a fine tooth comb because of a huge amount of new border personnel. Tell your friend to be SURE THEY HAVE EVERYTHING IN ORDER before they cross the line or they may have a really tough time. They held my brother and his wife for 6 hours until one of the regular border guards punched in and immediately released them to continue with their trip.

Reply by Mia on 6/3/08 3:24pm
Msg #249874

The quick answer is NO

Jahari - NO, you can not notarize a faxed copy of a Birth Certificate.

Notary Public cannot certify on a copy of a document that it is a true copy of an original document. In Michigan, only the person or agency to whom the document was issued can certify that a copy of the original document is true and accurate.

The MI State website is a great reference tool. http://www.michigan.gov/

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1638_8736-85780--,00.html
(Scroll down to “Prohibitions”)

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 3:39pm
Msg #249877

Re: The quick answer is NO - from the notary standpoint

Is there any reason why the person with the birth certificate copy couldn't write a statement (or an affidavit) regarding the copy being a true and correct one and the notary could then just notarize the jurat?

If the border will accept it I think that is the logical solution and one that has been suggested to me by my own SoS when telling them I was asked to "notarize" a copy of a TDL. I just wanted to know what they would say about a TDL...they said:

The owner of the TDL could write a statement, pick out a notary certificate and the notary notarizes the signature on the statement attached to the copy of the TDL.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 3:42pm
Msg #249879

Awkward choice of words...should say...

**could then just notarize the jurat?**

"could then just notarize the signature?"

Reply by Mia on 6/3/08 5:13pm
Msg #249888

Vital records must be certified copies -- A "Regular" Notary Public is not allowed
to handle this type of duty (see the following):

Vital Records (Birth, Marriage, Death, or Divorce) - Certified copies from one of the following:
• A Michigan County Clerk (check the government section of telephone directory for number)
• The Michigan State Registrar
• City Clerks in the County of Wayne, Macomb and Oakland only

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 5:47pm
Msg #249892

Does that mean you can't even make a copy of your own birth certificate in MI? That ALL copies must be certified?

Reply by Mia on 6/3/08 6:20pm
Msg #249899

Certified

All Vital Record Copies must be "Certified Copies".

Example:
It's like making a copy of a $5 bill on your printer...
it's worthless and can't officially be used.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 7:52pm
Msg #249906

Re: Certified

Mia, now that I think of it I remember that you and Renee' had a similar difference of opinion and I remember how that turned out.

I know that no notary can certify a copy of a vital record in the State of Michigan - I agree with you. Only the custodian of the record can do that. However, that wasn't even close to what I said.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/3/08 7:32pm
Msg #249905

"Is there any reason why the person with the birth certificate copy couldn't write a statement (or an affidavit) regarding the copy being a true and correct one and the notary could then just notarize the jurat?"

That might work in some situations, but methinks that a border guard in this post-9/11 world is only going to accept an original certified copy.

Used to be that you could cross the border from NY to Canada and the border guards would just smile and wave you through (coming back the other way could be an adventure, depending on age and length of hair....). NY is now going to start issuing driver licenses that conform to the new Federal regulations, so that they can be used instead of a passport for land border crossings. I think it's going to cost $90 for a 4-year license, so I'd rather just get a passport...

Texas must be doing something like that also, no?

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 7:54pm
Msg #249907

**That might work in some situations, but methinks that a border guard in this post-9/11 world is only going to accept an original certified copy.**

We can only hope so. The only way to find out is to check with the border patrol.

Reply by Mia on 6/3/08 3:33pm
Msg #249876

AND...

AND... if your co-workers relative has any type of negative past history (i.e. drunk
driving, or felonies etc.), they probably won't be allowed to cross the border into
Canada.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 3:40pm
Msg #249878

Honestly? Do they do a background check on every tourist? n/m

Reply by Mia on 6/3/08 4:12pm
Msg #249882

Re: Honestly? Do they do a background check on every tourist?

Yes - the Canadian border agents are very meticulous.
When you get to the Canadian border, they have a mirror that
faces the back of the vehicle so the border agent can see what
the license plate number is... the border agent types in the
license plate number (checking to see if the vehicle is stolen,
who it is registered to, etc.) into the handy dandy "your life
and everything you have done" computer. Then the border
agent usually asks everyone in the vehicle where they were
born... then the agent takes all the ID's and types them into
the computer.
And the Border Agents can tell how long it took you to go
through Canada, and the length of time you have stayed
(it's all in their computer). Canada has cameras hidden
at almost every corner... they know when you scratch your
nose.
There are 3 Bridges and 1 Tunnel that link Michigan & Canada.

I know of 3 males that wanted to go fishing up at a cabin
in Canada... they all were sent back the way they came.. because
all had drunk driving convictions.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/3/08 4:22pm
Msg #249883

Wow. Tough crowd over in Canada! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/3/08 9:49pm
Msg #249911

Wow - I will have to ask my friends who visit Canada regularly. It seems a bit overboard.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 6/3/08 10:36pm
Msg #249915

I live in another state on the Canadian border. I wasn't taking notes, so I can't give the details, but I think it's common knowledge around here that people with DWI convictions who try to enter Canada will probably be turned away. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether they will only turn them away if they are driving, or they will turn them away even if they are a passenger.

Reply by Mia on 6/4/08 9:55am
Msg #249953

Check the information out

You can check out all the information you need on the Canadian (CBSA) website.

Here is the website & a quick glimpse of what is on the website:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

Arriving in Canada
Our border services officers are at the ports of entry to ensure that people entering Canada respect Canadian laws. They are authorized to examine people and goods entering Canada to determine their admissibility. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers and goods as quickly as possible.
When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada. It is available on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.