Notary Rotary
Ah, sweet irony
Notary Discussion History

Ah, sweet irony
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by CaliNotary on 6/19/08 1:12pm
Msg #252034

Ah, sweet irony

Settlement Corp has started including a "notary identification statement" in their packages. The first part of the form asks for the borrower's ID information. The borrower doesn't sign the form. Then it has this:

I CERTIFY THE IDENTIFICATION AS STATED ABOVE WAS PROVIDED TO ME AT THE TIME THE BORROWER AND/OR CO BORROWER EXECUTED DOCUMENTS FOR THE STATED ORDER NUMBER.

NOTARY SIGNATURE DATE notary seal

IMPROPERLY NOTARIZING A DOCUMENT IS A VIOLATION OF STATE LAW, ANY OCCURRENCE WILL BE REPORTED TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES

I filled out the ID info, then wrote a note that per CA law I cannot sign as a notary on non notarized documents. So of course they called to complain and seemed annoyed when I explained to them what was wrong with this page and why I couldn't sign or stamp it.

Don't these companies have legal departments who look this stuff over?

And at the bottom of the form they want my E&O information, or a photocopy of the declarations page. Which they already have on file, and which I'm not about to dig out every time I do a signing for them. Isn't the time to worry about that BEFORE you assign a signing to someone?

I only do maybe one signing a month for this company anymore, but I have a feeling that it just became zero a month. C'est la Vie.

Reply by James Schultz on 6/19/08 1:31pm
Msg #252042

if I didn't know better, it almost sounds like a set up;

IMPROPERLY NOTARIZING A DOCUMENT IS A VIOLATION OF STATE LAW, ANY OCCURRENCE WILL BE REPORTED TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES

Then they ask you to Notarize your own signature, which of course is against the law....Gotta love it!

Reply by Maureen_nh on 6/19/08 1:34pm
Msg #252045

I normally just sign and date these and leave the seal off

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/19/08 5:40pm
Msg #252111

We're not allowed to do that in CA. You can only sign as a notary on notarized documents.

Reply by Barbara___IL on 6/19/08 5:02pm
Msg #252101

I asked a fellow notary in Illinois, what to do when I came across this problem, and she said I could sign it, but not stamp it, but when I sign it, put NSA next to the signature, not N.P.

I never knew if it was right, but makes ya wonder.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.