Notary Rotary
Answering the Phone...w/customers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by LKT/CA on 6/25/08 8:28pm
Msg #252970

Just wondering how others handle answering their phones while with notary customers. At loan signings, I will inform the borrowers ahead of time that an incoming call may be the SS or the TC and I will answer. With regular notary customers, I will also inform them ahead of time of an incoming call I'm expecting and must take.

Other than those two scenarios, I do not answer my phone while with a customer as I think it is rude to take a call and start negotiating deals when the person sitting in front of me is paying me for my time and focus on the task at hand. I'm aware that an unanswered call could mean I miss a loan signing or other work. I am willing to take that risk in order to make the customer sitting in front of me my #1 priority.

I do get voicemails for regular notary work, return the call and still get the job, so those folks don't necessarily "move on to the next on the list". I know the SS's and TC's will and they have. When I'm a customer and the clerk is on the phone, even if it's store business, more times than not, they mess up the transaction - and instead of being able to fix it at the register, I have to go the back of the store, wait in line at custome service desk for a refund. That is a major PITA.

Do you answer your cell phone while in the presence of a notary customer, negotiating deals? Do your customers frown on this or do they not care? Wondering how others work thru this.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/25/08 8:39pm
Msg #252973

I thought you said last week that you weren't doing any loan signings?

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/25/08 8:49pm
Msg #252975

Not because I don't do them, but because I wasn't getting any calls for them. I've done one recently.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 6/25/08 9:20pm
Msg #252977

Maybe the reason

you're not getting loan signing calls is because you DON'T answer your phone. Mine never leaves my side and I ALWAYS answer it. If it's not a SS or TC, I tell them I'm in a closing and I'll call them back -- 10 seconds max. If it's one of my regular SS or TC's calling, I usually know what our negotiated rate is. If I have to negotiate, I walk away from the table to conduct the pricing part of the business -- 30 seconds max! This is how I pay my bills and I am not going to not take a call from a regular because someone I'll probably never see again in my life MAY not like it. Most customers are very understanding when you tell them, this is how I get my assignments. If you are in their home, they almost always answer their phones and then carry on a conversation with their mother, daughter, son, friends, etc. Rarely, they will tell whoever is calling, I'm signing my loan (or I'm at an appointment), let me call you back in a couple of minutes.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/25/08 10:05pm
Msg #252981

Re: Maybe the reason

<<<<Maybe the reason you're not getting loan signing calls is because you DON'T answer your phone.>>>

If I missed THAT many loan signing calls, trust me, I'd answer no matter what but since it rarely happens, I don't answer when with regular notary customers.

Reply by Roger_OH on 6/25/08 10:08pm
Msg #252983

I'm with Dottie...

My phone is my lifeline, especially these days. As Dottie noted, you can be quick and reasonable about it, but you can't ignore business.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/08 11:45am
Msg #253292

If you are a customer in a different transaction

Answer the phone -- people understand
If you are a customer somewhere isn't the phone answered when you are there?
A ringing phone is money -- people know that

Reply by Michelle/AL on 6/25/08 10:07pm
Msg #252982

LKT

When I started out I didn't answer my phone at appointments but after missing out on business opportunities, that came to an abrupt end. In my territory, the general public acts almost like a signing company/title company, they move on to the next notary (unless it is a repeat customer). I'm on the phone for all of 1-2 minutes. If I have to talk money, then I step out of the room. I have found that people are usually very understanding as long as I demonstrate respect for their time. I also make it a point to apologize. Under no circumstance do I "chat" on the phone while at an appointment

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/25/08 10:27pm
Msg #252984

Re: LKT

<<<I have found that people are usually very understanding as long as I demonstrate respect for their time. I also make it a point to apologize.>>>

I'm going to try that. Just trying to find a happy medium yet still deliver good customer service because even though I "may not see those people ever again" as Dorothy mentioned, the way I treat them may make the difference in whether they recommend my services to others they know.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 12:36am
Msg #252994

I think NOT answering the phone is MUCH MORE distracting

as you look at it and go off track anyway... better to take the 10 secs to answer and politely remove yrself from the table for the few seconds than to be distracted by what you wonder it was all about anyway

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 1:10am
Msg #252996

Good point, Zee....

.....'cause what's the first thing I do when I hear it vibrate? Peak to see who it is and wonder....you're right !

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 1:10am
Msg #252997

Oops...peek, not peak n/m

Reply by SharonMN on 6/26/08 10:07am
Msg #253036

I don't answer

I don't answer my phone while I'm in an appt unless the borrower is still in the next room looking for their ID or something - or unless I think the incoming call is related to the appointment I'm in. I think the borrower deserves my full attention, and I don't want to be discussing other business in front of them anyway.

Then again, most of my appointments are after 7pm , and most of the calls to schedule appointments are earlier in the day, so it's rarely an issue.

Reply by Nancy M. Misenar on 6/26/08 10:45am
Msg #253047

Re: I don't answer

Answer your phone, this is your business, clients will understand. I have and will continue to do so. This has never been a problem for me
Stay connected.......

Reply by Stamper_WI on 6/26/08 10:47am
Msg #253048

I have my phone on Vibrate and try to have a sense of the TC ' phone number that I am in the closing for. I do check the number of the one calling. I once ignored several phone calls from all 3 kids trying to contact me due to an emergency. Never again! They know if I don't answer one call just to chat I will call back.
Another point is your message on VM. State that you may be with a client and will get back to them asap. If its the TC or lender for the clients at the table, they will call the borrowers as well if its really important. I can't help but think clients appreciate your full attention on the current signing.

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/26/08 10:55am
Msg #253049

I always answer. When I start a closing I quickly explain that if the phone rings I will need to answer because I'm always on call. I use a bluetooth and keep my phone on silent. If it is kids, they know I will call them back so I don't answer. Otherwise I will always pick up.

I don't talk money. It's quick, "I am avaliabe. I'm in a closing, I will call you back to discuss fees, I'm sure we can come to terms." Not one time have I had a call that said they would keep looking since I wouldn't talk money with them while I was at the closing table. When I do call back they tell me they appreciate the fact that I was so professional. This lets the TC know that they ARE dealing with a professional. FWIW, I have never had any problems getting the fee I need to do the job either.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.