Notary Rotary
Check IDs
Notary Discussion History

Check IDs
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/30/08 4:22pm
Msg #253683

Check IDs

I do so wish companies would put the names of borrowers on checks. I file all my closings by name, and it can really screw up my bookkeeping if they don't. I have several companies, for example, that will hire me under one name and write a check under another, so I have NO way of cross-referencing. It's maddening.

Loan numbers generally don't help, either. The confirmation often doesn't have a loan number, and I won't have it at the time I establish either my file or my account record.

When I'm king of the world...

Reply by LisaWI on 6/30/08 5:43pm
Msg #253690

Re: Check IDs-Hugh

I might have a solution to your problem. I have a signing appt log that I write down all closings Im doing as soon as I get the confirmation. It is in landscape format. Every signing I do gets an invoice number. Not every comp gets an invoice but it is how I keep things straight. The next column is the date/time for the closing. Next column is borrowers name. Next one is hiring comp. Then Closed/Signed: yes or no. Fee charged is the next one. Expected pay date and then finally paid date.

Then all signings get a file folder, it is cross referenced with the invoice number on my signing log, the borrowers name/city, date and time of the signing on the tab. Then I also put hiring entity on the front of the file.

I started doing this for the very same reasons you mentioned. Maybe some or all of this will help.

Otherwise, let us know when you become king of the world Smile

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/30/08 6:26pm
Msg #253697

Do you do a separate file folder for every assignment? It sounds like you keep things pretty well organized for yourself, but frankly, that much detail would drive me nuts! (Record keeping is not my favorite thing...) I do something similar. I have a tally sheet where I track each appointment with client, borrower, amount due, date and time of signing and date paid. I use a file for each client, so I have an ongoing record of previous experience with them. It's not the most sophisticated, but it works for me. And it sure helps (most of the time) with those checks that don't include borrower(s) name.

Reply by LisaWI on 6/30/08 6:54pm
Msg #253700

Yes, I do a seperate file for each closing. Confirmations and notes are kept in them and also if need be, knock on wood, notes on payment issues. If I have to look up a certain closing, its real easy to find because of the invoice # on them cross referenced with my signing appt log.

A person probably could do it without the files. The appt signing log, I would be lost without it. I forgot to mention I prefill the invoice numbers on the files. I do a bunch up at a time.

It took some time to get used to the routine of doing it this way, but it has paid off more than once if I had to look up a file for one reason or another. Now its just second nature.

Reply by spnotaryplus on 6/30/08 7:04pm
Msg #253701

Re: I use Quikbooks to track everything and excel

Its easy to export the information between the two programs (confirmation #,borrowers name, address and loan number, etc.)

Most of the checks I receive have the stub which has the borrowers name, order number, date of closing and so on. Once I recieve payment I clip the stub to the invoice printed from quickbooks and file away. This works very good for me.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 7/1/08 12:48am
Msg #253724

His Hughness has my vote for King of the World! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.