Notary Rotary
Closing Agents Needed - HUD
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 6/9/08 6:01pm
Msg #250579

I was reading this board and saw a conversation between the all-knowing Margaret/FL and another notary. (Margaret has been an excellent source of information for me in the past). Well, I went to the HUD website and guess what I found? HUD is looking to hire Closing Agents for real estate transactions. No kidding! I did not read all the fine print - since Alabama was not listed, but it sounds like it is worth checking out. Good luck! PS: Do us all a favor and let us know what you find out, if you pursue this opportunity.

PSS: If this is considered advertising please forgive me. I figure since I'm not selling anything I should be safe.

Reply by PAW on 6/9/08 6:43pm
Msg #250582

They are looking for CLOSING AGENTS, not Signing Agents. If you want to know what a closing agent is required to do, read the job description: http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpo/contract/den02276.pdf

In short, the Closing Agent is responsible for the preparation and execution of all closing documents, plus the distribution of funds and the recording of the necessary documents. A Closing Agent is typically an employee of a title company.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/9/08 6:44pm
Msg #250583

Closing Agents as in TC's or Settlement Companies

not NSA's. They are looking for companies to do the closing, from start to finish, title search, preliminary title report, order payoffs, hud & doc prep, etc.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 6/9/08 6:53pm
Msg #250587

Thanks for clarifying

I know that some people on this site provide this sort of service and thought it might be of interest to them.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 6/9/08 7:30pm
Msg #250588

More Info: Closing Agents Needed - HUD

Apparently there are quite a few folks on this site that offer services as Closing Agents (not to be confused as NSAs). I received many private messages asking me for more information. Instead of responding individually, here it is:

1. Forgive me for not posting the link from the "get go". I just forgot. Here it is:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpo/contract.cfm. If it isn't a hot link just copy and paste.

2. I'm still looking for information regarding HUD training for Inspectors. OfficeTiger used to keep me informed of training classes but I'm not getting those emails anymore. If I find anything I'll post it for those of you interested.

3. The HUD site has some interesting information and opportunities. As some of you have said in your private messages to me, the site isn't overly user friendly. I just keep surfing the site and eventually I stumble across another nugget. Specifically, you can list your company as a sub-contractor to be contacted for servicfes. I'm thinking that some of the Closing Agents will eventually have customers who will need documents notarized. Again, I'm not a HUD expert. I'm just brainstorming here.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 6/9/08 11:08pm
Msg #250606

You have to be a "Contractor" with HUD, the only way they pay their contractors is through a Visa/Mastercard merchant account. I have been a contractor with HUD and never again. I had to be a "Contractor to bid on Apartment inspections. This was a reverse auction where the low bidder gets the job. At first it was real good money, then it got really bad. I actually made more money working through Office Tiger, They asked me what I charge and I gave them my fee. I only accepted jobs from Office Tiger that were past due and needed to be inspected within weeks. They had to pay my fee or the apartment would not be in compliance and would loose their HUD subsidy. I have gotten as much as $950 for a 1 day apartment inspection. The most I got for a commerical inspection from them was $2,000, which included plane fare, hotel, etc. It was in the Virgin Islands and it was a Hotel inspection. You can go to www.hud.gov and search for REAC inspector and REAC training to look at the schedule. You can apply for training and they have to approve you based on your experience. You have to have done 250 inspections that can be verified.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 6/9/08 11:19pm
Msg #250607

Go to www.hud.gov and in the search box type UPCS Inspection Certification Training for Inspectors. This training is 5 days. There is a training that is 3 days but it is not for certification. It is for property owners, agents, management. It is for them to learn what the inspector is looking for. After you are approved for the training, HUD will send you a schedule of classes to sign up for

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.