Notary Rotary
Copies for Borrowers
Notary Discussion History

Copies for Borrowers
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Tonya Washington on 6/6/08 4:25pm
Msg #250293

Copies for Borrowers

I've worked for a title company for a long time and our practice was to give the borrowers a copy of only the documents that we deemed important (i.e. note, mtg, til, roc, etc). As a mobile notary I find myself wanting to keep this practice because most people just throw the docs away. Also, I believe that the TC should be responsible for giving the borrowers a copy of the docs since we always did. Is is a good idea to give the borrowers a copy of the important docs only?

Reply by SReis on 6/6/08 4:27pm
Msg #250294

This has been discussed before but IMO the borrower gets EVERYTHING. Sometimes I will keep out my instruction sheets but other than that I do not believe we are in a position to say what is/is not important re: the borrower. Although many docs are just "junk" that are still often req disclosure docs.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/6/08 4:27pm
Msg #250295

No, not a good idea.
You should always give borrowers a complete set of docs.

Reply by Doris_CO on 6/6/08 5:06pm
Msg #250307

Just had a situation today. The borrower messed up the Patriot Act ID form. I had to pull a clean copy from the borrowers package so he could start over. This form would probably be one of those considered "not important".

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/6/08 4:43pm
Msg #250301

Re: most people just throw the docs away ...

and you know this, why?

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/9/08 12:38pm
Msg #250533

Re: Tonya, you PM'd me, but I'll reply openly

"most people" is quite a broad term that I feel you are way off base with. Whether "most people" throw the docs away or not, it is not your decision to make as to whether you are *NOT* going to print them a copy for the circular file, to line the bottom of their bird cages, for their hampster bedding or simply to burn in the fire place. When you accept a signing, 99.9% of the time, the company expects you to print TWO complete loan sets.

Just because a few borrowers and a couple of companies have told you that the extra set is not needed, does not mean that you can make the call on your own to print only one set.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/9/08 12:40pm
Msg #250534

Re: P.S. and printing TWO sets is part of your signing fee n/m

Reply by PAW on 6/6/08 5:37pm
Msg #250313

One title attorney warned me that not providing the borrower/buyer a complete (as in e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g) set of docs, if something is not provided that should be, the closer (NSA in this case) could be guilty of UPL because they made a decision not to disclose something.

As a title company employee, it's different because the title company has the responsibility. As a Signing Agent, the responsibility and risk lies squarely on your own shoulders.

Besides the already mentioned ability to get a "clean copy" of a document if needed, IMO, it's just easier to simply print a complete package.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/6/08 6:29pm
Msg #250322

I had a borrower (a clerk of courts) that wanted to make sure that she was going to get a copy of exactly what she was going to be signing. So, we turned all of the pages before starting. It was a nuisance, but that is what we did after she promised that I would get everything back if she did not complete the signing. She said the first two Notaries had refused so she sent them away.

As mentioned, it has been more important to be able to pull the clean copy where and when needed.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/6/08 6:58pm
Msg #250324

I've had borrowers turn the pages of their copies as we sign. Yes, a pita, but that is their right to make sure they have everything. The only thing I do not print is any pages that are for me, that say "Attention Notary" etc, instructions for me only. I also don't print the 23 or so pages of CW closing instructions for the borrower.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/6/08 7:33pm
Msg #250325

I've noticed that some companies are no longer enclosing the Countrywide Closing Instructions as have been used to looking at the last page for any closing conditions that may affect what might be needed.

Reply by Pat/IL on 6/6/08 8:05pm
Msg #250326

The title closer already has to read the closing instructions. If the title company cares to get it right, they should take a minute to list any special instructions for the notary in a short, separate checklist.

It can be very effective and can save everyone time and confusion.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/7/08 1:18am
Msg #250345

I usually print one set of the closing instructions. Then at the table, I mention to the borrowers what they are and ask if they want to keep them. If so, I'll merely print another set to return with the signed packaged. It's surprising to me how often the borrowers DO want a copy of everything!

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 6/7/08 6:40am
Msg #250353

Complete copy is critical to borrowers!

I too always give the borrowers a complete copy, except the Countrywide Instruction sheets of 34 pages (I think that's the right number) and any instructions that are specifically for me as the notary.
First, borrowers sometimes like to turn the pages on their copy while signing the ones you're presenting them with so they can be sure they are getting a copy of all of the loan docs.
Second, as others have said, if you have a complete borrower's copy, if the borrowers or you mess up the signing copy, you can just substitute the one in the borrower's copy and leave them the messed-up page.
Third, if there is ever a question or problem later and the lender/title company is trying to enforce the terms of the loan, if the borrowers did not receive a copy of everything, then an attorney for the borrowers might just be able to have a field day with that omission.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/7/08 4:39pm
Msg #250396

I always provide an exact duplicate to the borrowers of what the TC sends me, minus any Notary instructions. My idea of what's important and the borrowers may be two different things. As a homeowner myself, I would expect a complete copy of the all the docs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.