Notary Rotary
E-Sign surprise!
Notary Discussion History

E-Sign surprise!
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by CopperheadVA on 6/11/08 3:14pm
Msg #250828

E-Sign surprise!

Received a call today for a refi and accepted. Docs were ready immediately and when they came over, I noticed that the Borrower owed about $1200 at closing. When I made my confirmation call I mentioned that the settlement statement showed that he had to bring $1200 to closing. This was the first he’d heard about it! I called TC, TC called LO, LO called Borrower and it then became $600 due at closing. I call Borrower to confirm time, new amount due, and wiring instructions – yes, we’re good to go!

I print docs. While second set is printing, I’m looking through first set and see all these “Non-Authoritative Copies”. No signature lines on most of them. DOT and other docs requiring notarization do not have this “Non- Authoritative Copy” wording on them. I’m thinking to myself that this must be an e-signing! But there are no instructions or passwords or anything. I call TC and get voice mail. I also e-mail TC. Half an hour later when I should be leaving for appointment, I call TC again, asking to speak to anyone there who can help me. They’re all out to lunch – there is no one who can help.

I call Borrower and let him know the situation and that I will be delayed. I ask if he was told this was to be an e-signing? No, he has never heard of such a thing. I call LO and ask if this is indeed an e-signing? She says yes. I tell her that I have no information about how to access the e-sign docs and ask if she has a website and password for the docs. She says no. She says she thought e-sign was how everyone does it. I’m dead in the water until I hear from TC.

An hour later I receive an e-mail from TC that simply says to go ahead and sign non-authoritative copies – no e-signing necessary. OK! Whatever you say! I call Borrower to let him know that we can sign hard copies and I will leave to meet with him immediately. He’s not answering. I leave messages at both phone numbers I have for him. I’m not sure what happened during that time, but he calls back an hour later and says he’s terminated his dealings with the LO, so he will not need me to come today.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/11/08 5:52pm
Msg #250896

I hope you got paid plenty for your aggravation and anguish and all the leg/telephone work.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/11/08 5:56pm
Msg #250899

Geez! After you go through all that trouble too! I hope you can at least get a printing fee from whoever hired you. Stay cool!

Reply by Haynes Mobile Notary - Kathleen on 6/11/08 7:11pm
Msg #250912

Not a cool signing. Been there before myself. Not with esigning but similar. Better luck to you in future. Thanks for sharing lets us know what to look out for.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.