Notary Rotary
Even the "Good Ones" are lowballing.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by GregM/ME on 6/5/08 9:58am
Msg #250092

Got a call this morning to do a closing next week. Explained to the SS person that the closing is on an Island. She said they would pay $65.00 for the job. I told her the ferry service charges $45 RT for this island. The ferry is one hour south of me, ferry trip is one hour fifteen minutes each way. Add in the signing time and waiting for next ferry back, I'm looking at a 6 hour job. The "good?" news is the borrower will have the Doc's ahead of time. She asked my fee for this, I gave her a very reasonable figure. I got the "If I can get that approved, I'll call you back" line. (I'm not waiting by the phone - LOL). Business is terrible here in Maine as it is everywhere but I'm NOT working for free. This SS has a 4 star rating here with NR.

Reply by Tonya Washington on 6/5/08 10:09am
Msg #250096

We have areas like that in Louisiana. In my most politest of voices (through clenched teeth) I tell them no but keep me in mind for the next time. I refuse to do closings that require me to take a ferry across and make my go extremely out of my way because those are the one's that want it done for free.

Reply by nolanotary on 6/5/08 10:55am
Msg #250108

I have had a few SS call me with out of the way or "in the swamps" signing locations and try to loball me on the fee. Even after I explain all the obstacles and time I would have to spend to close the deal, they're still reluctant to up their fee. So I tell them I'll do it for my normal fee, if that's what they're offering, under the conditions that the borrower's meet me at my office to sign...it worked once and the husband/wife, along with their 2 required witnesses, all traveled about an hour, one way, to meet at my office. They didn't even seem upset that they had to travel...I guess they were glad to just get the deal done. In those situations, it's worth trying to get them to come to you...you've got nothing to lose.

Reply by GregM/ME on 6/5/08 1:42pm
Msg #250154

Update to > Even the "Good Ones" are lowballing.

So they call me back 4 1/2 hours later ask me again how far away this Island is. I tell this different woman the details/time involved. She asks my fee again. She puts me on hold while she speaks to the manager. She comes back with "The Manager wants to know if you'd be comfortable with $125.00? I (politely) thanked her for the call and said I wasn't available.
NOW I'm comfortable.
Didn't expect this from NREIS...............

Reply by ChristineHI on 6/5/08 2:42pm
Msg #250157

Hard to explain this to people in different geographic areas

I live in Hawaii and we have several islands as well. In order to go to any other islands I have to fly or take a long ferry ride as well. It is hard for people to understand what is involved with going to another island. I was going to other islands more regularly than now. Companies just don't want to pay these days for these kind of signings. I still get the occasional one, but it can be cost prohibitive for some companies.
When you live in a city and all you have to do is drive places it is pretty straight forward and it can be frustrating explaining what is involved with going across water etc to get to a signing.
I think in your case, the lender probably limits what they will pay so the signing company is limited as well.
I just will not do those signings either unless they can pay. I am also requiring half to be paid up front, to make sure my costs are covered and an agreement that I get paid even if the loan rescinds.
It is more risky doing those kind of signings as well because you invest your own money up front and it takes a lot of time.
Too bad sometimes they cannot understand this. Just be strong like you did though.
ALOHA!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/5/08 4:47pm
Msg #250175

Re: Update to > Even the "Good Ones" are lowballing.

I guess the response you should give is "Why not find a notary ON the island?" Then, when they can't, you are in a better position to justify the fee you're asking. And if they still won't meet your fee - thanks, but no thanks.

I'm on an island, and there are a couple of outlying islands that can only be reached by ferry. One of them doesn't allow cars, and one can only be reached by water taxi. There is no way I would accept a job to any of these locations unless the transportation was included in the fee, above and beyond what the SS wants to pay for the signing. I think the problem is that these schedulers don't know the geography at all and are just looking at point-to-point mileage. Yeah, I'm only 15 miles away, but 1 of those miles is across a large body of water....

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/5/08 11:06pm
Msg #250197

but 1 of those miles is across a large body of water....

Have you thought of asking if they will pay for water wings? :-)

Reply by jba/fl on 6/6/08 12:10am
Msg #250198

Or buy you a kayak?

Reply by Ti/Ga on 6/6/08 1:34am
Msg #250200

A suggestion would be to tell them you will work for that amount if the borrower
is within a 5 mile ROUNDTRIP radius of your home or office where ever you do business. Also
on the premise that you would get paid in full if the loan closed or not within 10business days.

Sometimes it works

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.