Notary Rotary
General notary work
Notary Discussion History

General notary work
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/5/08 3:20pm
Msg #250167

General notary work

I don't do much general notary work, but lately, without me seeking it out, I have been getting 2-4 signings a week from about four records companies. I've generally been charging $50 if I can do the signing within the next week, so that I can work it into my schedule, and $65 if I have to do it on somebody's schedule. Out-of-city is negotiable.

Last week I encountered the same problem on back-to-back signings: The records custodian had signed the jurat in advance. When I can talk to the custodian beforehand, I advise them not to sign the affidavit till a notary can be there, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to deal with a different custodian, sometimes, I have to leave a message, and on at least one occasion I was told she had not signed, only to discover when I arrived that she had.

I've suggested to a couple of records companies that when they send the subpoena, they include a note instructing the signer not to execute the affidavit in advance. Both seemed resistant that the idea. Does anyone have any idea why that would not be viewed as standard operating procedure?

Also, I'd be interested to know if the fees I cited are in line with the fees charged by others for records retrieval.

Reply by NNaftaly/TX on 6/5/08 3:52pm
Msg #250169

I've been getting a lot of those here in texas lately, one of the records company i do work for has stated that their client has a range that they are willing to pay its usually $35 - $50 for a one pager. I usually stick to the higher end. so far they have been on 2-5 miles away.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/5/08 4:05pm
Msg #250170

Hmmmm.... haven't done a lot of these, but they have always sent the document to me so there is no way the person can sign without me being there.

Reply by nolanotary on 6/5/08 4:13pm
Msg #250172

I have done a bunch of these over the last few months...most of them have been related to the same case. When they contact me, I tell them to email the affidavits to me, even if they send the originals to the custodian of records. Then, when I contact the custodian to arrange a time to meet with them, I emphasize that they can complete all the info & questions on the affidavits, just DO NOT SIGN anything. If for some reason they fail to follow direction, I always have the copy(s) I requested via email as backup. Haven't had any problems so far. I only accept this type of work if it is within my normal business radius (10 - 15 miles) and I charge between $40 - $50 for the trip and $10 per notarized document plus any postage expenses. These are usually very quick & easy, not more than 20 minutes with the custodian. Most of the ones I've done have paid within a week, but never longer than 30 days.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/5/08 7:33pm
Msg #250185

Re: General notary work...marketing is backward for these.

I think your fees are in line. $50 for a drop in and $65 for an appointment for local work.

**Both seemed resistant that the idea. Does anyone have any idea why that would not be viewed as standard operating procedure?**

They are resistant because they have been doing this for years and right or wrong they don't want to be told how to handle it. They have a routine and aren't going to be told by a notary how to run their business.

The other thing is because they would rather the doc's office custodian go to a notary and not be given a clue that they will both send one and pay the notary as well.

It's been my experience that the record people who schedule these wait 'til the last minute to get them retrieved by a notary hoping they will not have to. Sometimes the doc's office will go find a notary of their own accord and pay the notary the standard $$ out of their own pocket. Adding instructions not to sign until the notary gets there lets them know that a mobile notary is a possibility.

Marketing for this kind of work...
There are several medical lawsuits on the rise right now. When you see a ton of commercials on tv you can almost figure you'll be called to collect records in the near future.

The best way to get more of this work isn't marketing to the record retrieval company...it's nice and all but I know record retrieval companies...they don't want to pay a notary to retrieve. You are a necessary evil to them...they want the doc's office to do this without you.

To get this work, you treat the doc's offices people like royalty and they will tell the record retrieval people to call you...because there IS ALWAYS repeat business to be had. (If one patient had the questionable treatment regarding a lawsuit, so did others.)

Ask the record retrieval company for a copy to take a long when you get an appointment. Schmooze the doc's staff and they'll depend on you and demand you be called every time they get a records request. It's quite likely this is their first time with a lawsuit. They like sticking it to the legal system for having to do this...so...become their friend and you'll see them often.

I had one gal who would save up $200+ work for me to drop in and do. The minute she got one she'd call the record retrieval firm and tell them she had a mobile notary...they WOULD pay for that wouldn't they? I'd bill the firms and get checks from them every time.

If there are many medical facilities near a notary they can do well. When I quit full time notary work I was making $500 a month with these in a fairly small city. I had to refer it all to a local notary guy. It nearly killed me.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/5/08 8:24pm
Msg #250190

A note re: California - not what you'd expect...

Before those of you in CA decide to descend on your local medical facilities in a marketing blitz, you might want to keep in mind that a law was passed a good number of years ago limiting the level of malpractice suits in the state to either $250,000 or $300,000. (I don't remember exactly.) And there is a statute of limitations of only one year.

As a result, as you might imagine, it's very hard to get an attorney interested in a medical malpractice suit in this state, unless someone has incurred very high loss of income and/or actual out-of-pocket expenses. I don't believe the amount has ever been adjusted for inflation, so it is even less likely now than before.

[I'd like to know if medical malpractice insurance has dropped significantly. I know doctor fees sure haven't! And there are some doctors out there still practicing medicine who should lose their licenses!]

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/5/08 9:10pm
Msg #250195

That is very interesting Janet.

Thanks for posting that---I find that very enlightening. It makes a lot of sense given some feedback I have received from California notaries.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.