Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Has anyone ever been asked to provide ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Kate/CA on 6/12/08 10:38am
Msg #251008

the lender with 2 ack for one DOT? I've been asked to provide both an Ack and a jurat for one document, but never two of the same.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/12/08 10:40am
Msg #251010

Is this a Texas loan?

Reply by Kate/CA on 6/12/08 10:45am
Msg #251014

No, right here in CA

Reply by PAW on 6/12/08 11:48am
Msg #251022

Are they asking you to complete two separate acknowledgments that are already on the DOT? Check to make sure they both apply to the borrower's signature(s). Often, a second acknowledgment is provided for the "assignment", which is not the borrower's signature(s), but the trustee's signature. Obviously, you can't complete an ack for the assignment since the agent that needs to sign the assignment isn't in front of you and hasn't signed the document.

The other time I've seen two acknowledgments on the same DOT/mortgage is when there are two signers and each signer had their own acknowledgment.

Or - Are they asking you to complete two loose acknowledgments and send them along with the DOT? Of course, this would be a no-no.

Reply by Kate/CA on 6/12/08 12:43pm
Msg #251037

They were asking for two ack for one doc, (if they loose one they would have another).
I called the SOS an got a supervisor, 8205 (2) says, to "give a certificate". That is what they will get. This company sends blanks and wants you to fill them out.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/12/08 12:50pm
Msg #251038

Hmm. me thinks this sounds like a 'loose to attach to

anything' they want.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/12/08 1:04pm
Msg #251041

Tell them that they need to send you two checks to pay you for this job just in case you lose one.

One notarization, one acknowledgment. If they lose it they can pay you to go back out and get it signed again.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/13/08 1:43am
Msg #251141

"Tell them that they need to send you two checks to pay you for this job just in case you lose one."

Love it!

Reply by PAW on 6/12/08 1:08pm
Msg #251042

Don't do it

You cannot legally complete an acknowledgment if there is not a signer acknowledging they signed something. That's why it is very important to have the notary certificate printed on the signature page. If that can't be accomplished, an attached certificate (only one) would need to be completed. The attached certificate should be annotated such that the certificate can only be attached to one particular document bearing the noted signature.

If you simply complete two loose acknowledgments for JOHN DOE, then those acknowledgments could be attached to any document whether it was signed by John Doe or not. (I.e., fraud)

Remember that the notary certificate is only the certification by the notary that a particular notarial function was completed. If you didn't perform the notarial act, you can't complete a certificate stating that you did.

Reply by desktopfull on 6/12/08 10:32pm
Msg #251131

Yes, one for each person signing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.