Notary Rotary
I am not as upset about gas prices compared to what I paid
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 6/11/08 10:50pm
Msg #250945

today at the theater for popcorn and a soda. Talk about oil companies gouging people. A medium popcorn and a medium soda was $12.25. A box of candy was $6.00 What??? It cost me $45 to take my daughter and grandson to see KungFu Panda today plus the gas and a couple quarter games my grandson played. Its been a while since I've gone to the show, but it will be a long time before I go back. We'll wait till it comes out on DVD and rent it.

Reply by jojo_MN on 6/11/08 11:10pm
Msg #250952

At least with that $45, you got to see a movie, eat popcorn, drink soda, spend time with your daughter and grandson and watch your grandson play a couple quarter games.

With that same $45, I got to drive to and back from my one closing for the day yesterday. At least you got to enjoy your $45. :-)

Actually, I do agree with you. Going to the theatre is outrageously expensive right now, as is everything else. Something has got to give very soon.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/11/08 11:58pm
Msg #250961

"Something has got to give very soon." Wanna bet?

Market adjustments? Without regulation?

Phfft.

I've raised my prices, I had to, to survive. I could not lower my prices, regardless of the tales of woe offered by the market who hires me.

As the corporation conglomerates grow, inexorably, in a favorable free-market (meaning free of taxes) environment, no thought will be given to "giving very soon."

Reply by 101livescan on 6/12/08 12:26am
Msg #250963

Re: I am not as upset about gas prices compared to what I pa

I like my own home theatre with home made popcorn sprinkled with freshly grated romano cheese, butter and roasted garlic....ice tea, lemonade, chardonay...I think we're all going to find ways to cut corners. I bought peanut butter and homemade preserves at BIG LOTS for peanut butter sandwiches. Still the best lunch around...NETFLIX is the best!

Reply by Ndwa on 6/12/08 5:07am
Msg #250966

Re: I am not as upset about gas prices compared to what I pa

I watched that movie on wide screen with beef jerky and Italian sodas in the comfort of my sofa (don't ask me how).

I like this quote:
"Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift, that's why they called it-present."

Reply by snoopdogMs on 6/12/08 6:27am
Msg #250969

So true! n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 6/12/08 9:49am
Msg #250995

We stop at Walgreens and by the 2/$2 candy

to take with us. They have the "movie" sizes at that price. I feel your pain though. For 2 tickets 1 adult, 1 student to Sex in the City, 1 medium popcorn and 1 med drink and 1 icee it came to $35. At least I saved $10 by buying candy elsewhere.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 6/12/08 2:30pm
Msg #251060

Be very careful doing that

My friend took her own Raisonettes into the theatre and the usher came and told her she could not bring candy into the theatre and had to give them to him. He took them to the ticket office and she was able to pick them up on the way out. (She decided that the next time she went she would shell out the big bucks for a box of their Raisonettes, keep the box and refill it!)

Reply by ME/NJ on 6/12/08 10:12am
Msg #251000

Almost a year since we went to the movies

I think it was 2-3 months before Kim was due. I'm a cheap SOB daytime movies only (save a few bucks)

My local supermarket has a RedBox DVD rental machine $1 a DVD or the county library (free for a few days)

My wife and I joked how we do a whole weekend on 40 bucks.. Tried it this past weeked $65 (going out to eat Sunday night was the breaker..lol)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/12/08 10:23am
Msg #251002

My husband and I boycotted movies when admission hit $5 per (should tell you how long ago THAT was!!) - with a very few exceptions we've not been to the movies in almost 20 years...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/12/08 1:40pm
Msg #251045

Last time we went to the movies it was to a preview of The Chamber in 1996 courtesy of a friend at a local radio station.
Before that it was to take some friends children to see "Gremlins" in 1984 when it was at the base theatre in England as they weren't 15 at the time and so couldn't see it at the local cinema. (US rating was PG, and in England it was rated for 15 year old and older)

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/12/08 10:26am
Msg #251003

We buy our movie tickets from Costco....saves about $3 per ticket. Yes, the concession stand can bankrupt your wallet.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.