Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
I got stiffed by an attorney today.......
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Korey Humphreys on 6/27/08 12:52pm
Msg #253323

I was asked to perform general notary work today for an attorney who lives approx. 10 miles from me. When on the phone with the attorney, I advised him that for general notary work (witnessing a signature and certified copy), I will charge $50.00 which would cover my time, travel and notarization. He agreed.

So, needless to say, I traveled to his home and met with him. I notarized his document and certified another as a true copy, and went to wrap up the appointment. I told him I needed the $50.00 and he said no and handed me $1.25 saying that I was only allowed to charge up to $1.25 for notary work. At first, I thought he was joking, but then I realized he was being serious.

I advised him that I could legally charge a fee for time and travel. I told him that the price he wanted to pay was just for the notarization. Regardless, he refused to pay me. I left with only $1.25!!!!

I am so pissed! Now, I will make every customer, regardless if he/she is a legal professional, pay me up front before the signing. Lesson learned.

Reply by LisaWI on 6/27/08 12:56pm
Msg #253324

Sounds like to me he knew exactly what he was paying you before you got there. Bean counter??

I feel bad for you, that really stinks Korey.

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/27/08 1:03pm
Msg #253325

In this case I would spend the time going to small claims court. Making him appear before a Judge will do substantial harm to his reputation, which unfortunately he probably has little of anyway, but the satisfaction you will get when he has to explain his actions should be well worth the trouble to you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/27/08 1:05pm
Msg #253326

Re: I got stiffed by an attorney today.......I agree w/David

Scumbag.

Reply by DonR_NYC on 6/27/08 1:13pm
Msg #253329

But before going to small claims send him a detailed bill indicating fee to travel, etc. and then note payment for the notarization. Mail it returned receipt so he can't claim he never got it.

I would send the first and then 30 days letter a demand collection letter. THEN with all your documentation ready; NAIL THE SOB. I'm sure the judge would just love to embarrass him. Hey I guarantee if he went to your home for a consult he would demand full payment.

Reply by Calnotary on 6/27/08 1:11pm
Msg #253328

Just because he knows the law he thinks his ABOVE the law? I will take him to small claims!

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/27/08 1:16pm
Msg #253331

A brick through his windshield would cost him a lot more than $50. Not that I would ever condone such a thing, but it's a nice thought.

You should have voided the notarization before you left.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 1:46pm
Msg #253353

A brick through his windshield would cost him a lot more than $50

Not always - comprehensive in some states excludes windshields, but brakes, tires, side windows, gas tanks, etc....well, it is a thought. Just can't touch the car when damage is done

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 6/27/08 2:18pm
Msg #253365

LOL trust me.... I thought about it!

I also wanted to back into his nice vehicle parked next to mine. NaNa

Reply by Gary_CA on 6/27/08 1:20pm
Msg #253334

Another vote for small claims court. n/m

Reply by HawaiiNotary on 6/27/08 1:24pm
Msg #253339

Re: Another vote for small claims court.

What a loser! I vote for small claims court.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/08 1:23pm
Msg #253338

I would leave this alone

Look at the MA law (below) that talks about notary fees -- There is nothing about travel or time in the law-- the law does allow for doc prep but you didn't do that.

I would leave this alone. He had to know a notary but for some reason he called you?
This guy sounds smug and IMHO was/is looking for a challenge. He obivously had this planned. He is an attorney, you bring him into small claims court and he is going to be very mad. He could fight back and set a precedent you don't want to see.

Read MA's law - This is what he will give the judge.

For the protest of a bill of exchange, order, draft or check for non-acceptance or non-payment, or of a promissory note for non-payment, if the amount thereof is five hundred dollars or more, one dollar; if it is less than five hundred dollars, fifty cents; for recording the same, fifty cents; for noting the non-acceptance or non-payment of a bill of exchange, order, draft or check or the non-payment of a promissory note, seventy-five cents; and for each notice of the non-acceptance or non-payment of a bill, order, draft, check or note, given to a party liable for the payment thereof, twenty-five cents; but the whole cost of protest, including necessary notices and the record, if the bill, order, draft, check or note is of the amount of five hundred dollars or more, shall not exceed two dollars, and if it is less than five hundred dollars, shall not exceed one dollar and fifty cents; and the whole cost of noting, including recording and notices, shall in no case exceed one dollar and twenty-five cents.

How do you see that working for you?

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/27/08 1:32pm
Msg #253345

Re: I would leave this alone

Where does "noting" equal the act of Notarization? I don't see it.

I would think that there are laws against theft of service that would apply. In either event, I'd still think any Judge who could hear this case would make the attorney pay what he agreed to pay. A contract is a contract.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/08 1:57pm
Msg #253356

I am thinking guessing since it is the ONLY law on MA books that is solely TITLED "Notary fees" and that I posted it in its entirity that the legislature is talking about notarization with the use of "noting"

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/08 2:05pm
Msg #253361

The poster says this was agreed to on the phone -- That is verbally
There is no contract here.
Even if there was, if the contract is deemed to be an illegal contract, it is not enforceable.
If there was a contract with illegal pricing by interpretation of the law, well.....

I see bringing this into court as potentially rewarding the poster with an extremely bad outcome.

The law is what it is. Don't like the wording, petition to get it changed.

What if the judge says the attorney is right, the act is limited to the price DEFINED by the law and the notary has illegally charged travel fees in all past notary acts? That would be a heck of a nasty judgement. That could easily happen coupled with the notary paying the attorney's legal fees in defense of the action -- he isn't going to defend himself on the cheap.

You are not part of the club. Is $50 worth what could be ruled by the judge's interpretation of the law?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/27/08 6:47pm
Msg #253410

I agree. There may have been a verbal contract, but those are almost impossible to prove. Bringing this before a court could open a real box of snakes; I'd personally just consider the loss as the cost of a lesson learned, and move on from there.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/27/08 6:51pm
Msg #253414

those are almost impossible to prove

Keep in mind that in civil court proof is only by a preponderance of the evidence.
IMO, I know no of judge that would find $1.25 an acceptable fee for this service, and think one would find $50 total within the usual and customary for a mobile service fee.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/27/08 7:44pm
Msg #253424

Re: those are almost impossible to prove

"IMO, I know no of judge that would find $1.25 an acceptable fee for this service, and think one would find $50 total within the usual and customary for a mobile service fee."

That depends on how it's argued, what facts are presented, and (since it's one party's word against the other) who is more believable. State law is clear on what a notary can charge, and that's what the attorney paid. What if the judge never heard of a "mobile service fee"? What if the attorney can come up with case law to support his position? Who decides what's "usual and customary" for a service that's neither usual nor customary?

I think that, not having a written agreement, he would be rolling the dice on this one. Regardless, I'm not sure it's worth going through all that aggravation over $50. You need to pick your battles: at best, he would win a moral victory; at worst, he could lose a lot more money than he already has.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 6/27/08 2:28pm
Msg #253368

That law is solely for the notarization and not the travel

time. I'm sure the law doesn't imply that I, as a public officer, am required to travel many miles to notarize a signature for $1.25. I add in the "public officer" title because we are supposed to perform our duties for any member of the public who tenders the appropriate fees and who meets the requirements (i.e., valid ID, personal appearance, competent, etc.).

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't travel 10+ miles for $1.25.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 6/27/08 3:28pm
Msg #253379

The concept of a mobile notary is quite recent, and ....,

does not seem to be envisioned by MA law.
You could have told him to come to you for the notarizaion.
Statute as cited by 123 seems clear to me. (not legal advice yada yada, yada)
IL law notary law does not mention travel either. When I get a call
for general noary work, I either do it pro bono. (Sunday call for someone
taking a flight that that day with a kid) or send them to a UPS Store , Kinkos or
a currency exchange.
The fact that he paid you $1.25 indicates that he has read the statute.
I think that taking him to court might well result in getting your lunch handed to you.
I would have given him back to $1.25 and told him that he obliously needed it a
lot more than you do. Might have also mentioned an opinion that if he paracticed
law the way he ran his life, then you understand why $1.25 was all that he could afford.

Reply by Loretta on 6/27/08 3:45pm
Msg #253387

Re: That law is solely for the notarization and not the travel

I really think that we all should get our jobs in writing, whether by fax or mail. I also read on here that someone was saying that you got what a notary should receive to do the job you were called for and if you take him to court, you might not win because we can only charge a certain amount as the notary. If that is so, then we all will be out of business as signing agents. I wonder if there is anyone on this board that will travel to notarize a document and only charge what the state says for each signature.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 3:52pm
Msg #253388

"I wonder if there is anyone on this board that will travel to notarize a document and only charge what the state says for each signature."

I would Loretta, but in FL I would most times make more money, and I know in CA they could really make out well there, so I would venture to say yes for them as well. Well, perhaps not the entire group - I know I don't want to speak for one in particular..LOL

Reply by WDMD on 6/27/08 3:59pm
Msg #253389

" I wonder if there is anyone on this board that will travel to notarize a document and only charge what the state says for each signature. "

As you know Loretta, we can't legally charge diddly for a general notarization. Thats why if they wont come to me I refer them here to find someone closer. I'm not going to charge more than the fee, I can't afford to lose my commission.

Reply by Loretta on 6/27/08 5:17pm
Msg #253400

My whole point is, that without our travel fee, I would not be doing this. I'm not talking about charging a neighbor $15 for notarizing one signature on a poa, that would be illegal.
Did anyone get my point or am I talking out of my butt?

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/27/08 5:45pm
Msg #253403

No, you're telling it like it is. My sentiments exactly.

Reply by WDMD on 6/28/08 5:23am
Msg #253442

"Did anyone get my point or am I talking out of my butt? "

Sorry I missed your point. Thought you were talking about general notorizations, as that was what the thread was about.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 6/27/08 4:02pm
Msg #253390

As NSAs , we are hired to do far more that acting as a Notary Public.
We are receiving/returning dox, printing , supervising the signatures
on non-notarized dox, etc,. etc. The charge for the non-notary services are
as agreed between the NSA and the hiring entity.
If we were solely rendering NP services, then our charges would be
limited as set forth in our respective state's statutes.
Some states provide for specific or "reasonable " travel charges.
MA and IL do not.
As as have read here, FL and CA provide of $10 per notarial act. IL allows
one whole dollar.
Not legal advice, yada, yada, yada

Reply by MelissaCT on 7/5/08 8:23pm
Msg #254257

Re: That law is solely for the notarization and not the trav

I do. For general notary work, I only charge the statutory fee. Of course, I don't travel outside my very local area for that $5/document and .35/mile. Many times, however, the signer elects to pay more than I charge, which I do not turn down...although I can only statutorily "charge" $5 per document, I am not precluded from accepting more.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 6/27/08 1:33pm
Msg #253346

Does Massachusetts have an attorney ethics board you can report him to?

Reply by David Kruss on 6/27/08 1:37pm
Msg #253350

Attorney Ethics Board? You jest! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/27/08 3:22pm
Msg #253377

David, I work with six attorneys who are some of the

most ethical people I have ever met in my life...from treatment of their spouses, to their legal assistants, to their children...clients...waitresses...the guy at the local drycleaners.

And, I assure you, they do not think highly of unethical attorneys (or others) at all...unethical folks come in all walks of life. Let's not tar all attorneys with the same brush.

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/27/08 4:14pm
Msg #253392

Re: David, I work with six attorneys who are some of the

While the Texas Bar may be a shining example of ethics, IMHO the California Bar has a long way to go to make such a claim.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/27/08 5:49pm
Msg #253404

No David, I agree with Brenda. I have known some good attorneys as well as some diddlies. As with any profession, occupation or people for that matter, you can't paint all with the same brush.

Reply by Tish/CA on 6/27/08 6:48pm
Msg #253411

Former President of the Texas State Bar, Martha Dickie, (2006) was just at my home for a visit all last weekend. I'll have to tell her of your gracious (if not somewhat, left-handed) compliment. Her term just officially ended this week so it may be downhill from here! LOL

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/27/08 1:33pm
Msg #253347

Small Claims...maybe/maybe not

This clown is local. Meaning he's playing lawyer in front of the same judge hearing your lawsuit. They probably have drinks at the Country Club together and laugh about this story.
You've been around the block a few times with the 'good ol' boys' club, if memory serves.
You've got enough smarts to CYA with all the proper paperwork/documentation, etc. before you're in court, if that's the route you take.
Personally, I'd find a lot more satisfaction in Cali's idea.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/27/08 1:36pm
Msg #253349

Except that... no insurance coverage on tires. ;) n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/27/08 6:07pm
Msg #253406

Re: Except that... no insurance coverage on tires. ;)

And leaning 3 nails against the back of each tire really doesn't do any damage. If he happens to be careless enough to drive over them that's his own fault!

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/27/08 7:53pm
Msg #253425

Re: Except that... no insurance coverage on tires. ;)

After the hurricanes in the fall of 2004 and 2005, we Floridians found out first hand just how pesky roofing nails could be. I'm sure roofing nails occasionally fall off the back of trucks in MA.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/27/08 1:37pm
Msg #253351

Re: Small Claims...maybe/maybe not

**Personally, I'd find a lot more satisfaction in Cali's idea. **

Me too. Trying for small claims may seem like it would work for you, but in all likelihood would be like p33ing in the wind.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 1:35pm
Msg #253348

I would mail a large POSTCARD to his home AND law office, outlining the agreement and circumstances. He cannot deny it as you have his information in your journal.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 2:14pm
Msg #253363

You could also tell him you will report him to the state bar for financial irresponsiblity. Sending the large postcard to his home and law office outlining the agreement and circumstances will expose his deeds to his colleagues and family. If he could care less about his own reputation....and over $50 bucks....why on earth should you?

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 2:16pm
Msg #253364

If he could care less about his own reputation....and over $50 bucks....why on earth should you?

LKT: Next time you get stiffed or are asking about payment issues, we will remember to throw this in your face -

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 2:38pm
Msg #253370

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.....

Where did you read that I asked for your critique on the opinion I offered? That was a rhetorical question as I am not interested in your answer.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 3:36pm
Msg #253381

Re: Your post makes no sense whatsoever.....

If not interested, then why do your respond?

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 4:31pm
Msg #253393

Re: Your post makes no sense whatsoever.....

<<<If not interested, then why do your respond?>>>

I said I am not interested in your answer. I did not say I wouldn't respond to anyone.

Would it not be easier to just ASK a person, "It seems like you are saying XXX, is that what you meant by that statement?" But instead, you'd rather take statements out of context, misinterpret what is written and then threaten to "throw in back in my face" which your statement is totally non sequitur to the message I meant to convey. But that's the behavior you consistently display on this forum so I guess it's useless for me to expect any better from you.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 6/27/08 2:21pm
Msg #253366

It's not really about the $50.00 .....

it's more about the fact that we negotiated the fee over the phone and he agreed to pay my fee.

I wasted my time and [expensive] gas to travel to his location.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 2:46pm
Msg #253372

Re: It's not really about the $50.00 .....

You receiving your fee is important. You performed a service of which this lawyer agreed to and you should be paid. What I meant was his willingness to have his professional reputation tarnished for a small amount to HIM means you shouldn't care more about him than he does about himself, therefore, you should pursue collections. I didn't mean that the $50 isn't worth fighting for or at least reporting him to agencies. It's about the principle....who knows how many other Notaries he's done this to.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/27/08 3:17pm
Msg #253374

What area of the law does he practice? n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/27/08 3:22pm
Msg #253378

Korey,

It certainly sounds to me that the attorney swindled you and had no intentions of paying you the fee you quoted to perform the task. I know I would go after this guy. Why don't you talk with one of the attys that you work with or the MA atty (SReisMA, or something like that) that posts here?

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/27/08 4:45pm
Msg #253394

I've worked with attorneys for over 20 years. They are people, and put on their clothes the same as the rest of us. Their diplomas on the wall don't make them better than the rest of us. I've never taken one to Small Claims for the notary part of my business, but I have taken a few deadbeats for my secretarial/transcription part of my business and I've won. Whether the attorney golfs with the judge, eats at his house or what, I can tell you that judges don't like attorneys that default on their obligations -- even if it is only verbal. Once the robe is on, the friendship is placed on the back burner.

The notarized pages would have either left with me, or I would have torn them into tiny pieces right then and there -- but one thing for sure, he would never have been able to use them.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/27/08 5:33pm
Msg #253401

**I can tell you that judges don't like attorneys that default on their obligations -- even if it is only verbal.**

I don't think a judge or a JP would think this was anything but deplorable.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/27/08 6:43pm
Msg #253409

In NC, the notary public may not charge a travel fee. I am the Notary, and my company is REClosingAgent, LLC. My company may charge a travel fee, and my company does. Then I Lisa, the notary, charge the legal $5 per sig notary fee. Our SOS knows and understands this technicality.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/27/08 7:22pm
Msg #253420

I think you just paid $50 (or $48.75, to be exact) for a lesson on how to deal with this in the future - get the money up front, especially when it's someone you don't know. Since this was a verbal agreement, you would probably have a tough time proving your case in small claims court, and it could end up costing you a lot more than you already lost. Your best course of action would to be to just let it go, as frustrating as that might be.

As far as taking revenge is concerned, there have been some interesting suggestions made, all of which could potentially get you in trouble. Do what you think is right, but remember this one word: gloves. Smile

Reply by Ti/Ga on 6/27/08 2:42pm
Msg #253371

Are making ANY preparation to bring him before his peers in a small claims court? Its a matter of principle at this point--he/she would sue in a heart beat or not take the case without pay. I would see him in court--along with contacting your state bar....jerk. what a loser he/she ws!
I am so sorry that happened to you!

But dont let this be the last time he hears from you--start by sending collection notices.....

Reply by PAW on 6/27/08 7:19pm
Msg #253418

Disclaimer: I have not read all the responses to your post. In that light, the following may be repetitious.

What you saying is you had a verbal agreement for payment: a binding contract. That alone would be enough to NOT go to small claims court, but take it directly to the Massachusetts Bar Association Committee on Professional Ethics.

In case you need the link for info:
http://www.massbar.org/about-the-mba/press-room/journalists%27-handbook/8-lawyer-and-judicial-discipline

As others have pointed out, exhaust your billing and statement options first, so you have plenty of ammo. Be sure to include a letter stating your understanding of the agreement agreed to over the phone prior to the execution of the service. A lack of response to that letter may be enough to show intent and agreement.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/27/08 7:33pm
Msg #253421

My experience in Florida is...

that the bar will not accept complaints dealing with billing disputes unethical or not. But it does sound like a good place to start.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 6/27/08 8:29pm
Msg #253431

Re: My experience in Florida is...

My experience in Florida is the bar does accept complaints of billing disputes, I also sued the attorney and won. He was disbarred before we went to court and I loved the things the Judge said to him. He told him that I knew the law better than he did. He was a scum, mine was not the only complaint but it was the won that finally got him disbarred for life. He lost his 2 homes, his practice and he can't even get a job as a law clerk. I never got my money, only a judgement but the satisfaction was worth it.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/27/08 8:43pm
Msg #253433

Margaret - You still had to sue the scumbag for the money you were out. The bar will not rule on monetary disputes. I know too, I've been there done that and have also been instrumental in seeing to it that a bottom feeder was disbarred. That was enough for me. The SOB high tailed it to NJ and I knew I would never see a dime.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 6/27/08 9:12pm
Msg #253434

He owed people all over town. I also told them they needed to audit his Escrow account, he was a Real Estate attorney. I set up his accounting system on his computers and I could not balance his escrow account. He also had not paid his payroll taxes in 5 years. I notified the IRS.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/27/08 10:48pm
Msg #253439

Margaret, you are comparing apples to oranges here. Two completely different scenarios. We are talking about a lawyer that stiffed a notary.

I have a little story for you about a great guy that I knew that unfortunately passed away last week. Paul was not an attorney, but he had been through a divorce and was not happy with the way that the court decided the distribution of his pension funds. Paul was a smart guy and started working on building a software program that took many things into consideration to equitably distribute pension funds in a divorce proceeding. Paul hit it BIG and had a program that attorney's all over the country paid to use. Paul became an expert witness in the field of pension fund distribution and I swore him in for phone depositions and cleaned his office for money when I first started in this business.

I'm telling you this because his clients were attorneys and Paul had a box on the top of the file cabinet in the front office marked "$hit List, and I assure you it was full of deadbeat lawyers that never paid him for his expertise or service. Do you really think he took the time and effort to take the scumbags to court? He!! no he didn't. It's wasted time and wasted money.

Paul's funeral is tomorrow. Long live Paul's $hit list! He was a stand up dude, a good father and a great grandfather...he paid for all of his grandkids private education.

It's not always about the fight. I know I can win a fight, but will it really benefit me?

You did the right thing and the dude can't screw anyone else, but you are still not made whole and will never be so why the effort?

At least that's my opinion and observation.

In Memory of, Paul Commerford

Thank you for helping to change lives.

We will miss you.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 6/28/08 6:30am
Msg #253445

Becca, Thanks for the story he sounds like he was a great guy.

I did have another problem with an attorney I gave a a retainer of $500 to handle a case for me. He took my money and would not return my phone calls. When I fired him, he send me
a tiny refund where he had deducted every call ($25) I made to him and I never talked to him.
I sent him a letter, certified, return request and stated to him that I would be reporting him to the bar. The next week, I got a full refund. I only threatened him.

Reply by PAW on 6/28/08 6:36am
Msg #253446

Sorry, Becca, but you are wrong ...

I had a similar experience when I was working with a MA attorney. I was advised by my own attorney (NH) to file a complaint with the MA Bar ethics committee. I did. To make a long story short, the Bar admonished the attorney for failing to keep his word. (Though they didn't come out and say 'breach of contract', which is what we were hoping for.)

Reply by Laura Vestanen on 6/27/08 8:10pm
Msg #253427

That's why I only accept cash at the appointment

Attorneys, title companies, and SSs are often crooks. I'm so sorry you had this life lesson at your expense, Korey.

I have had it with NSF checks and nonpayments.

My policy for the last 3 years has been cash on the table. Period.

If a TC calls me, the borrowers have to bring cash to the appointment or no service.

I no longer even take PayPal or checks FedEx'd to me beforehand. Those checks have bounced.

I WILL accept money wired to me. Those funds are irreversible.

If someone doesn't have cash, I sweetly offer to sit on the docs while they go to the ATM at the nearby 7eleven.

A TC called me today for a very tricky signing. I told them I would be happy to help them as long as I received cash at the table. Travel fees would be $150 with notary fees extra. They wanted to send a check. I said OK as long as it arrived two days in advance. That gives me the opportunity to make certain the account has sufficient funds and to cash the check at a branch of THEIR bank.

Korey: as CaliNotary said - I would have voided those notarizations at the table.
I would have enjoyed great satisfaction from ripping those docs in front of that jerk attorney's and throwing them at his face.

Reply by PAW on 6/28/08 8:28am
Msg #253457

Re: That's why I only accept cash at the appointment

With all due respect, Laura, your policy of "the borrowers have to bring cash to the appointment or no service" really stinks to me. Talk about poor customer service. What do you do if you're all finished with the appointment and the borrower hands you a personal check or says they forgot to go the to bank to get your fee? Do you tear up the papers? And why are you making the borrowers pay you? They didn't contract you! (Of course, if they did, that's a different scenario.)

I've built my business on trust and faith with my customers, vendors and clients. Yes, part of business is not getting paid, but there is recourse. Over the past 10 years, I've only not collected once, and that was really my own fault.

This is not to say that everyone should extend credit to everyone. That doesn't make sense. As I'm sure you know, it isn't hard to do a little research on payment practices with signing services, title companies and even lenders.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/28/08 10:11am
Msg #253463

Re: That's why I only accept cash at the appointment

I will continue to take checks for general notarizations,
and I will extend credit until I am treated poorly by a
client...then I won't work for that particular client. I am
not thinking so much about loan signings here but
other types of notary work.

Reply by Cari on 6/28/08 7:24am
Msg #253448

to lodge a complaint against ANY attorney...

go to this website:
http://www.abanet.org/cpr/regulation/scpd/disciplinary.html

These disciplinary boards are like the BBB, but for attorneys. Once you lodge your complaint in writing, they will send the attorney a letter, that he will HAVE TO respond to. And if they, after reviewing all the evidence you both present, feel that the attorney was at fault, discipline the attorney further.

This, is so worth doing than spending $$$ in small claims court for $50.00. And having this disciplinary board go after him, will def piss him off!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.