Notary Rotary
I'm frustrated with buying new toner cartridges....I'm broke
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Cari on 6/28/08 11:28pm
Msg #253577

I've searched and read some replies on this site about refill kits vs buying new.

Has anyone had any problems with refill kits like plugs or stickers coming off, while in the printer?

I've checked out a few interesting refill kit sites, and even saw a demo on how to refill the cartridge and it looks simple enough, so I click on and start to order then when I get to the checkout, I chicken out, afraid of buying it for fear of having the darn thing explode in my HP4100DTN...

Has this happened to anyone using refill kits?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 6/29/08 12:12am
Msg #253582

I refill my Brother toner all the time without incident. Caution: you have to buy the correct toner specific to your machine as different printers run at different temperatures:

http://www.tonerkits.com/

Or you can buy compatable if you don't want to tackle refilling:

http://www.sundatasupply.com/products.php?subcatid=751&catid=152&brandid=9&pge=cat

http://www.ldproducts.com/HP,LaserJet,4100dtn,Laser-Toner,796,printer.html

http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com/ink-cartridges/Laserjet-4100dtn

I have ordered from all of these without incident. ...

Reply by Gary Boehm on 6/29/08 12:13am
Msg #253583

I'm frustrated with buying new toner cartridges....I'm b

I bought a used HP printer at a reputable flea market recently. The seller showed me the date he purchased the printer and cartridge (just under two years) and said it still had toner the last time he used it.

So I hook it up a week later and install the software and get ready to print my first set of docs just hours before a closing. Well... you guessed it... blank streaks down the middle of the pages! Nuts had to go back to my old beat-up printer.

I go on eBay and buy just about the cheapest kit I can find from dol-auctions because I'm still not sure there is something wrong with the printer and don't want to throw too much money at it.

I get the package and scrounge up a 5/8" wood drill bit. My 11 year old daughter helps to fill it (yep, it was that easy). We cut the piece of foil tape to seal the hole. Drop it in the printer... and... it works!

If an 11 year old can do it, um, I hope you can too. The directions were pretty good. You will need a LARGE 5/8" drill bit (that's more than half an inch!) and a drill of some kind. Drill SLOWLY because the plastic is VERY soft and you will punch through pretty quick. The directions said it will last 2000 pages (maybe 8 closings) but there were two bottles in the kit so that should last me a while anyway.

I hope that helps someone thinking about trying a refill kit instead of buying new all the time.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/29/08 1:35am
Msg #253584

Re: I'm frustrated with buying new toner cartridges....I'm b

I have a different printer, but I've been refilling toner cartridges for several years. I've probably saved enough by now to buy a new printer. I don't use a drill bit, though. I learned about Tonerkits.com here and bought the appropriate tool there to use for the cartridges for my printer. It's more like a soldering iron than a drill and it came with complete, easy instructions. I just plug it in, let it get hot, then point the tip at the spot specified in the instructions. In a few moments, it melts a hole in the top of the cartridge, I pull straight up to remove it and I'm ready to fill. The toner bottles come with a funnel. I use two -- one on the bottle and another one upside down into the hole I made in the cartridge.

As for sealing the hole, the safest bet is to use new tape each time. Every printer is a bit different, but on mine, the refill hole is on the top of the cartridge, so I've not had problems with spilling. I DO take care to wipe off the top (and anywhere else it's needed) with a clean tissue before reinserting it into my printer.

New cartridge is about $80; bottle of refill toner is about $10 - and I can refill 2-3 times. That's a slam dunk in my book! (It varies by printer. I can tell when it's time to start over with a new cartridge when I start getting streaks on the paper.)

It's just not that hard, Cari - although, like I said, every printer is a little different. Maybe someone else has had experience with the cartridges for your printer...

Reply by Gary Boehm on 6/29/08 8:50am
Msg #253593

I'm frustrated with buying new toner cartridges....I'm b

Yea! Glad to see you doing the re-fill route with no problems Janet. I forgot to mention the tool that is sold which makes it even easier for most people. I am an old bench technician from way-back so I usually have what I need. The kit I bought came with a pair of spouts for the toner bottles so I didn't need a separate funnel.

As some people mentioned, the toner is micro-fine particles. It flows like water so you don't need to squeeze the bottles at all. The white plastic garbage bag is a great idea too! We just used LOTS of newspapers and carefully folded them in from the outside when we were finished. I thought about wearing latex gloves too but it isn't necessary if you are careful.

Oh! And wiping the area around the hole is VERY important before applying the tape to cover it. I'm glad to see everyone saving money!

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/29/08 6:22am
Msg #253585

Been refilling for a long time with no problems. The 'tool' Janet talks about works much better than a drill--worth the add'l cost, imo. Only other comments I can add (& this may be covered in the instructions you receive) is: Don't squeeze the refill bottle when refilling! BTDT...learned my lesson. Also, it seems to me that I get a lot more copies out of a refill than an original--tho' I've never actually kept track.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/29/08 7:02am
Msg #253586

I'm not going to take the risk of refilling cartridges for HP. With HP the "drum" component is built into the cartridge, as I understand it. Since I can buy toner cartridges at reasonable prices on 4inkjets.com or LDproducts.com, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/29/08 7:25am
Msg #253588

**With HP the "drum" component is built into the cartridge, as I understand it.**

All the more reason not to fear re-filling, IMHO.

The drums aren't a separate purchase. You merely throw away the cartridge when the drum shows wear.

I've refilled for years and loved every minute of the savings.

You learn to wear "black" or no nice clothes that you can't get permanently soiled...you learn to take your time...not to squeeze the bottles...to work in such a way that a little black powder floating around won't matter (I work inside of a white plastic garbage bag on my deck). The refilling/hole-punching tool makes it easy. I also keep a small kitchen funnel to pour the toner into rather than using the bottle tips.

Those cartridges you are buying, MW/VA are refilled, right? The drum component may even be older than your own empty cartridge. The only difference is the money and that you don't have to get toner on your hands. I can wash my hands to save that much $$$$$.

On one printer I save $150 each time I refill myself (cost is about $14.00). On the other, only a mere $65 (Cost is about $10). I love having two or three of each of those filled on the shelf and ready to roll at any given time.

For each factor "new" cartridge I get three refills out of the cartridge. When those are done, I personally purchase a new factory cartridge at $170 and 79.95 and start over.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/29/08 7:34am
Msg #253589

Thanks for the info. I see that you limit the no. of refills to 3, and that makes a lot of sense.
I've been very concerned about being able to recycle the cartridges. Refilling cuts down on a lot of waste.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/29/08 5:47pm
Msg #253641

Recycling issue

The recyle issue has bothered me, too. They shouldn't be just tossed out when used up. I found myself with quite a collection of cartridges that had been refilled a number of times a short while back, so I finally took several to Office Depot to recycle. I received a $3.00 (I think...) coupon for each one and was able to use up to three coupons towards the purchase of another new cartridge. That brought the cost down to what I used to pay for them at Costco, which no longer carries the right one for my printer.

PLUS, they see that the cartridges get recyled properly without ending up helping to contaminate a landfill somewhere. Staples used to have a recyle program, too, but I think someone posted here that it has been discontinued (or changed). I don't know for sure.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/29/08 7:42am
Msg #253590

I have been refilling for years, wouldn't dream of buying new. So many sources to buy toner and cartridges and many have been listed over the years on this forum. Like Brenda, I do mine over white plastic bag outdoors. I also have a paint brush dedicated to this purpose that I use to get into all the nooks and crannies removing toner that may spill, plus general dusting of all compontents. I refill several at one time so that when mid-job (like when else will the toner finish?) I don't have to do a messy job.

In these slow times this is an expense that can be controlled easily. Would that gas could be this easy!

While you are at it Cari, search the forum about legal paper deals: the other expense we can control easily...keep your money in your pocket whenever possible.

Good luck - give it a try!

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/29/08 8:39am
Msg #253592

**I also have a paint brush dedicated to this purpose**

Me too, jba.

I do mine *inside* the plastic bag...a large white one. It cuts down on the black toner blowing in the wind...and into my nose.

Reply by Michael/NC on 6/29/08 9:13am
Msg #253595

I have a HP 3050 laser jet printer. I am only able to refill once. On the second refill about 200 printed pages later" Black streaks" appear at and run down the length of the page edges. (I once read on this forum, when that happens, you need a new cartridge). So I only refill once.

Reply by Cari on 6/29/08 9:46am
Msg #253597

WOW....lots of info..thx guys!

I believe I'm sold on the refill kit...and using a dedicated paint brush to clean the excess toner off the top is ingenious! Smile

Now, I have another question: What about the actual "toner" for refilling? Does it make a difference if I use copy toner vs printer toner? Is there a real difference?

I have four perfectly good copy toner bottles, still in box for my old 20 year old Minolta Copier which I inherited when I started renting my office a year ago. The bottles are new, still in box, which was never opened. I was told by the tech that they still make the toner because this old Minolta is still kicking apparently around in other offices. Thought mine is barely kicking, more like running at its last breath....so I only use it for emergencies - it's amazingly loud.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in toner quality? I'm wondering if the toner really makes a whole lot of difference copier vs printer cartridges? Any thoughts?

Reply by desktopfull on 6/29/08 10:52am
Msg #253614

You have to use the toner that is specified for your

machine, otherwise you will ruin your printer. Just check the charts on the website and see if the toner for the Minolta is the same as the toner for your HP. If not then you need to order for the HP.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/29/08 10:53am
Msg #253615

for the reasons Glenn mentioned in his post n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 6/29/08 1:39pm
Msg #253628

Re: for the reasons Glenn mentioned in his post

Yes!! I learned this the hard way. I have personal experience . Don't even experiment! Buy the toner listed for your machine.

Reply by LynnNC on 6/29/08 3:41pm
Msg #253630

I recommend buying toner cartridges on eBay

I buy my toner artridges on eBay from inkjetking99 http://stores.ebay.com/inkjetking99 who has a 99.1 % feedback rating. I get new compatible 49 X cartridges (extended use of 6000 pages) for my HP 1320 for $31.97. Just do a search in their eBay store for the toner cartridge you want.

Reply by LynnNC on 6/29/08 4:06pm
Msg #253633

Re: I recommend buying toner cartridges on eBay

I have been buying HP comaptible cartridges on eBay for 3 years and only received 1 bad one. I know a lot of NSA's have the HP 3330 all in one...today I bought a new extended use 15X cartridge (6000 pages) on eBay for $27.74, including shipping, using the "Buy It Now" feature.

My cost of using the cartridges, refilling each twice, for 3 uses, is only $15 for each 15X and $16 for the 49X (HP1320).

Reply by ncc_mi on 6/30/08 9:42am
Msg #253659

Our office has been buying toners from a company called rhinoteck, and they have been excellent. We have Brother laser printers, and we've been really happy with these cartridges. We got an excellent deal on them, where we were paying $68 to buy them from Staples, and $42 to get them refilled @ Cartridge World, which was also very good, but we only pay $35.00 for these ones, and they are shipped to you next day de3livery. The cartridges seem to last almost double what any new or refills that we've very purchased. I am extremely happy with them. They are easy to reach and order from. Here is the information for them. www.rhinoteck.com, and the owner is Tony Wilson. Their # is: (800) 748-6664, and his extension is 1386. Good luck with things!! As far as the refill kits, they all have the potential to ruin your printer after so many uses, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/30/08 12:59pm
Msg #253667

It depends on your printer.

**As far as the refill kits, they all have the potential to ruin your printer after so many uses, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.**

I have close to $1,000 invested in printers.

By refilling I have saved enough (and made enough extra on edocs) to replace them many times.

Makes no sense to avoid refilling at that rate.

My next move would be to replace the printer...happily knowing I have beat 'em at their own game of selling the printers cheaply while scr*wing you on the consumables. That WAS the plan, you know. One only needs to look at the cost of a new HP cartridge...usually about 1/4 of the cost of the lower range printer....to realize that refilling at $10 a piece vs. $100 each will quickly purchase a new one.

In fact, one day I was checking out at Sam's with a high capacity printer toner cartridge and the kid checking me out said...it's almost cheaper to buy a new printer, right? I just smiled.

BTW - if you purchase at Sam's or Wal-mart and your printer craps out for some reason w/i a year they'll take it back. At least they did for me at Sam's...even though I was using re-charged cartridges.

Furthermore, you are no more protected by commercially recycled cartridge usage than you would be if you refilled yourself. Only brand new cartridges supposedly keep you from voiding the warranty.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/30/08 6:06pm
Msg #253692

Re: It depends on your printer.

I completely agree with you. Not only that, when I recharge my own cartridges, I know how they have been handled. At one point, I was buying cartridges that were donated to a non-profit for a bit more than what they could get for them. Figured I would save some money while helping them make a little more than they would have otherwise. I had a terrible time with those. I typically could only fill them up once before they started streaking and sometimes didn't even get through a full refill. That might have been because they were thrown into a box and tossed around. I handle my used cartridges delicately so that the drum stays in good condition.

And if we end up having to buy a new printer from all the money we save, we end up with updated equipment! Spread over 2 - 3 years, I think it's well worth the risk! Having said that though, "It depends on your printer". They are all arranged a bit differently, cost different amounts and the cartridges fit differently. I can't say that there might not be certain printers where the equation would work out some other way... For me, though, it's a slam dunk!! Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.