Notary Discussion History

I stand corrected (by myself) there are 3 NNAs
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 6/22/08 8:02pm
Msg #252537

I stand corrected (by myself) there are 3 NNAs

Check 'em yourself~~

1. non-profit
http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Chatsworth/national-notary-association-inc-4771917.aspx

2. profit
http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Chatsworth/nna-insurance-services-inc-4433492.aspx

3. profit
http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Chatsworth/nna-services-inc-4115505.aspx

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/08 6:17am
Msg #252554

Just following up a bit on thoughts I have every time this topic is discussed...

Clumsy layman's terms here but when the members don't have a VOTING voice in the behavior of the organization or election of board members who guide the organization (just like we don't here at NR) then it's not a true trade association run by the membership for the good of the membership.

The difference between NR and an organization such as the XYZ who seems to portray itself to be a trade association for notaries is that NR never professes to be a trade association and the only membership we have here is a listing. Harry listens to us via the forum and email and takes our ideas into consideration but it's his private business.

On the other hand, does anyone in the XYZ "listen" to the ideas or input of notaries? Do "members" ever get to vote on directors who will provide guidance to the organization? No (it doesn't appear so) and no (not to my knowledge). There's not even a forum related to that site for members to discuss among themselves their membership benefits.

Therefore, the XYZ seems to profess (IMHO) to be a trade association when in reality it is a profit enterprise.

And, XYZ, if you are reading, please respond and tell us how this is not so.

The non-profit part of it makes charitable donations to scholarships and other "worthwhile" causes. However, as best as I can tell, the non-profit part has nothing to do with the notaries who pay "memberships" to join the for-profit organization.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/23/08 7:38am
Msg #252560

I became suspicious when they set up a "foundation" (tax shelter) & started asking for donations. Also, do they own Merchants Bonding Company? I think the only thing that got me was the "Identify Theft Policy" that came with my membership. I didn't order it & wasn't interested in it. This seems to be another division of their company. Again, there is nothing wrong in a business making a profit, whether it is through membership or not. I am aware that NNA was very involved in getting anti-NSA laws overturned in NC.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/23/08 11:35pm
Msg #252690

Ooops...

Well, obviously, the above message was intended for Brenda. However, I did want to comment on this statement, too:

"Again, there is nothing wrong in a business making a profit, whether it is through membership or not."

No argument there. However, when you try to masquerade as something else, that's a whole different story. Examples would include using a ".org" as their primary website, which most people associate with a non-profit organization, describing themselves with language that gives the impression that they are a trade association (without actually saying so), and claiming to represent their membership, which - as Brenda so aptly pointed out - has no say in their operations. jmho

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/23/08 11:27pm
Msg #252689

Another excellent summation, Brenda! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.