Notary Rotary
Inspection Talk
Notary Discussion History

Inspection Talk
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 6/18/08 10:50pm
Msg #251958

Inspection Talk

In light of the recent discussion about Inspections, I wanted to chime in.

Several months ago, I made comments on this site about a list of inspection companies/leads that I purchased for $80. (I know. I know. $80!! I could have had two deluxe pedicure and manicures for that much money). My earlier comments about me feeling as if I didn’t get my money’s worth may have been unfair.

It is possible that the leads in that $80 book/pamphlet are good for inspectors in other territories. Perhaps those companies don't have Alabama clients, due to no fault of the person who compiled the list. No one can really say for certain how much business an inspection company will have in a particular territory at any given time. But I still find myself glaring at that $80 investment whenever I see it on my bookshelf. I just want to be fair and admit that my expectations may have been unrealistic.

I will probably purchase Becca’s list of leads for the reasonable price that she’s asking. In the event I don’t get much business from it, I promise not to hold it against her (smile).

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/18/08 11:32pm
Msg #251963

Hi Michelle,

I don't own the $80 book of companies, but I've had people email to ask me how my list compares with it. Well, since I don't own a copy of it, I can't answer the question and I tell them that. I would like to offer you my list at no charge if you would be willing to give an honest comparison testimonial and post it for all to see. Good, bad, indifferent, I don't care about the outcome, but would like to know myself.

You just might be right about your area now, I don't know. I do know that last month I had as many inspections as I did closings and this month I've only done one inspection and seven closing so far. Last month I did three "rush" inspections and I was happy to do them for the pay...I wish I had more rush requests each month...it sure would make the business more appealing, monetarily speaking.

Send me an email, Michelle, if you are interested in the proposition. I hope to hear from you soon.

Becca

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/19/08 8:23am
Msg #251987

What a great and honest offer! n/m

Reply by Michelle/AL on 6/19/08 9:15am
Msg #251989

Becca and Gang

Thank you so much for your offer. I'll gladly take you up on it and will provide a prompt response to you. I'll PM you and provide you with more information.

Thanks for not miscontruing my post. I know that sort of thing can happen sometimes when it comes to email and postings.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/19/08 12:05am
Msg #251966

Also, Michelle, FYI - I have my share of "how to books"

that cost me a pretty penny. I'm looking at a loss mitigation program and a short sale program that cost me $439.95...I know how it feels. This is why I want to share the good information, for a small contribution because I, like you, have paid through the nose for crap that is not worth the paper it's written on.

IMO, what the other purveyor's are lacking is the ability to have a list that is hyper linked to each hiring company making it super user friendly and easy to use. Please, let me know if I'm wrong.

I await your email.

Reply by bfd110_IN on 6/19/08 7:04am
Msg #251983

I to am awaiting the reply because I have the $80.00 book and I can feel your pain Michelle.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 6/19/08 10:13am
Msg #252003

BFD, well it's good to know I'm not alone. I don't feel that it has been a total waste but my territory wasn't well represented in that pamphlet. There is quite a bit of preservation work in there but that's not what I do (at least not yet - smile). Perhaps I ought to dust the thing off and take another look at it.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/19/08 10:47am
Msg #252012

Re: Inspection Talk-FWIW

If you're in an area with a large population, I'd suppose Inspection work would be viable as there would be many requests. In my county with it's whole 40,000 people--Nah! Pay is low, meaning you can't travel very far at all & expect to make a profit. That being said, I have done a few 'contact delinquent account' whatevers (I don't know what they call them) & 'verification of business' trips. All within just a couple of miles & so were feasible for the time, expense & fee involved. I have also been asked to travel 3 hours one way, take a few pictures, fill out a questionaire and fax it & e-mail pics---for $30. They do NOT negotiate fees, so you just decline. But, for $9.95 with links yet---how do you go wrong?

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/19/08 10:47am
Msg #252013

Re: I was going to stay out of this, but ...

I would like to point out that if you don't have any idea what you are doing, and before you begin going out and snapping Peepin' Tom digital photos, you better realize that you can do a lot of damage and even ruin property owners lives.

Two years ago I paid off our mortgage and visited our insurance agent to remove the mortgage company as a loss payee. Apparently, homeowners without a mortgage, are a higher risk for insurance fraud and they sent out some idiot to take photos of the property and house/garage.

A few years ago I sealed around the house where the concrete drive and walks butt up to the foundation so water seepage would not be able to seep into the crawl space. For aesthetic purposes, I glued small pebbles and stones into the asphalt sealant. This must have intrigued Ms. Photo-Taking Property Inspector that had no idea what she was doing, because she took several photos, and in her report she wrote that the foundation was cracking and crumbling "because where else would the pepples and stones have come from?"

Instead of the insurance agent calling us or personally coming to our house she simply sent this idiots photos and report onto the corporate office. The only contact was a form letter we received stating that our insurance was being canceled immediately because of the damaged and crumbling foundation -- all because of someone's ignorance and incompetence.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/19/08 12:04pm
Msg #252023

Sounds like your insurance company was the ignorant and incompetent one.

What kind of office cubicle dumb @ss agrees with an assessment like that? There were photos, right? Hard to imagine why they wouldn't be smart enough to figure out that the picture didn't fit the story.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/19/08 12:15pm
Msg #252024

Just what I was thinking, Brenda. I am surprised they would make that determination based on photos only...why wouldn't they confirm damage? I can't imagine they would not.
People, this is not rocket science, and is not as difficult to learn as mortgage docs.
Most photo inspections are 1-6 photos at different angles on homes or vehicles.
Sometimes you need to hand a letter over to a person.
YOU are NOT responsible for determining the condition of the property, but may be asked to
DESCRIBE what you see. If something seems questionable, the ins. co or lender will send out a QUALIFIED PROFRESSIONAL inspector (who makes a lot more than you will) to assess any potential damages.
These are basically and generally photos for the ins. co or lender to determine what needs to be done, inspected, or collected or insured.
In my expreience of doing this part time for 2-ish years.

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/19/08 12:53pm
Msg #252028

I don't do a lot of inspections, but I thought that you took

the pictures from the car?

All that I have done I've been told DO NOT contact the resident for any reason.

Like I said I haven't done that many and I understand that there must be many that are a close up of the home, I just don't understand why if a problem was observed that it wouldn't warrant a bigger inquirery by the hiring party?

I did a ton of inspections after a few of the hurricanes and if damage was noted, I was to take a picture of what I could observe and give a discription of the damage in my own terms. I would assume that would be further investigated and questions asked of the Home owner.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/19/08 12:54pm
Msg #252029

The other possibility is that the inspector WAS one

of the higher paid, professionals with higher qualifications and was giving a qualified, albeit apparently wrong assessment which someone else in the corporate office apparently agreed with.

Sometimes an insurance company sends out an employee in the office who lives closest to the property to get the photo, sometimes they send out the people in their office who use the digital camera the best...if the insurance office is locally owned and operated a principle might even go take the pictures.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Carolyn's unfortunate experience isn't necessarily related to the wide variety of field inspections one can do or the possible new income avenues.

People seeking inspection work shouldn't be afraid to take it on for fear they will mess up someone's life in a significant way. The insurance company (or other hiring companies) and their vendor/contractors, if any, are responsible for putting the right people with the right qualifications on the job to do specific things properly.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/19/08 1:01pm
Msg #252032

Re: Maybe it's not normal,

but a national insurance company canceled us after being "claim free" for over 20 years solely on this twit's photos and her report "the foundation was cracking and crumbling "because where else would the pepples and stones have come from?"

The agent NEVER contacted us and no QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL inspector followed up. So maybe you've never heard of it, but it does happen.

It was the insurance co's loss though and we are now saving $1,000 per year with another company because if they don't want one homeowners policy, they certainly aren't going to be able to keep the mountain homeowners, nor the three vehicles and motorcycle. We now have better coverage on everything and a big savings in our pocket!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.