Notary Rotary
KY question Car title
Notary Discussion History

KY question Car title
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 6/27/08 11:06am
Msg #253277

KY question Car title

Got a call from someone selling a car to a guy in KY. I am in IL. He was told that the title has to be notarized. I am so unfamiliar with car title notarizations. I told him that he has to tell me if he needs a Ack or Jurat that I could not decide that. I explained the difference in the 2 and he was going to find out.

This may be a dumb question, but I really don't know. Am I going to notarize the buyer or seller signature? Any help is appreciated.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/27/08 11:10am
Msg #253279

Check this out Linda

http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/pdf/TC96-182.pdf

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 11:45am
Msg #253291

Re: That's an application for a title

The seller in IL already has the title.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/27/08 11:15am
Msg #253281

Mybe this will help...

www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky

www.dmv.org/il-illinois

Looks like IL says just sign over the title on the back...if it needs notarization the wording should be on the title - least it has been in my experience.

I'm sure you probably already thought of this, but do you have the title to your own vehicle? If so, take a look at that and use that as a guide.

Good Luck!!

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 11:18am
Msg #253282

I am also a KY car dealer....

coming into the state of KY, an IL title does NOT have to be notarized. He just signs off on the title to the seller. Beside in KY only the SELLERS signature has to be notarized. Th is is something I do know about, this has been my job for 18 years!!!!!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/27/08 11:24am
Msg #253284

Robin, So you are saying this does not need to be done.

That he can sell a car in IL to someone in KY withOUT notarization, correct? I wonder where he got this information then?
Thanks for the info.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/27/08 11:27am
Msg #253285

Re: Robin, So you are saying this does not need to be done.

May need a bill of sale (seller signs) notarized to prove price for taxation purposes. I have no idea what I'm talking about--just tossing it out there for consideration.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/27/08 11:52am
Msg #253294

Got my answer from KY. Yes and No is the answer.

No, the title does not have to be notarized to bring a vechicle from IL to KY.

But,

Yes, the registration application stating the purchase price DOES have to be notarized. Makes sense.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 11:54am
Msg #253297

Re: Notarized in KY, you mean, by buyer when he. . .

. . .registers the car there?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/27/08 11:54am
Msg #253298

Ahhh...BUT!!!

Does the seller sign the registration application? I'd find that odd unless there's a place on the reg. application for the seller to certify the sale price - if not, it's the new owner's signature that needs notarization.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 12:10pm
Msg #253310

Re: Ahhh...BUT!!!

Why would the seller sign the registration application? He's not trying to register the car in KY, the buyer is.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/27/08 12:14pm
Msg #253313

That was my point, Marlene...:) n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 12:18pm
Msg #253315

Re: So it was. I just retained your question, not comments!

So sorry. And if I had retained earlier that the buyer was coming FROM Kentucky to get the car. . .well, I assumed the seller was delivering it, I guess. Whole different kettle.

Nice mental exercise, tho - thanks!

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 11:54am
Msg #253299

Re: Robin, So you are saying this does not need to be done.

We have what you call a vtr (vehicle transaction record) they will need this as well, but does not need notarization from seller side when coming in from out of state, but does need a sheriffs inspection. All they do is look at the miles and check that the vin # matches the title. This is all this needs!!

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 11:52am
Msg #253295

Re: An ILLINOIS car title does not have to be notarized

From Cyberdrive Illinois website - http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/faq.html

'The Certificate of Title must be signed over on the back to the person purchasing the vehicle. Federal and state law requires that the title indicate the signed and printed names of all the sellers and buyers, certifying the odometer reading as the "actual mileage" on the vehicle's odometer, "in excess of the odometer's mechanical limitations"or "not the actual mileage"." '

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/27/08 11:56am
Msg #253300

Yes, I am aware that an IL title does NOT have to be notariz

ed. I live in IL and have bought and sold many vehicles

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 11:56am
Msg #253301

We don't attach jurat or acknowledgements in the car business. Did not even know what this was until I got in the mortgage business. Ky is pretty laid back.

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 11:59am
Msg #253303

Re: If your gentlemen would feel more comfortable, notarize

the vtr for him, because it does show the total consideration (the amount he is giving for the vehicle) that will really take care of all of that. He will have to get this from his clerks office!

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 12:13pm
Msg #253311

Re: Well, careful. . .

in PA, if you notarize vehicle docs where notarization is not required, they're rejected (depending on who processes them).

Be sure IL is not so picky about its titles. . .

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/27/08 12:00pm
Msg #253304

"Did not even know what this was until I got in the mortgage business. Ky is pretty laid back. "

Robin, you're a notary, right?

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/27/08 12:02pm
Msg #253305

All I know at this point is the buyer is coming from KY

to IL to buy a car this evening. Hopefully he will have whatever he needs notarized with him. I'll let you all know what it was when its done.

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 12:05pm
Msg #253307

Re: All I know at this point is the buyer is coming from KY

Yes Linda, have been a notary since I was 18. We don't use jurats and ack. in the car business. Wouldn't have any reason to know about them.

Reply by 1lessday on 6/27/08 12:09pm
Msg #253308

Re: why do some people always have something smart to say?

When someone tries to help, someone always puts them down right linda h

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/27/08 12:13pm
Msg #253312

Okay...we're not going to go there...but

her saying, as a notary, she doesn't know what an ack or jurat is is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard..MHO

1lessday - where was your constructive advice throughout this thread...hmmm???

I'm done

Reply by 1lessday on 6/27/08 12:16pm
Msg #253314

Re: Okay...we're not going to go there...but

no she said "didnt" prior to being a mortgage closer. I can understand them not using that stuff in the car business.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 12:27pm
Msg #253316

Robin, on the application for title that Misterella pointed out early in this thread, there's a jurat for the "attesting official" to sign right after the seller's and buyer's signatures.

Do you not complete this for every title you do?

Reply by Robin Pugh on 6/27/08 1:18pm
Msg #253333

She said in the begining about attaching one. We don't accept attached loose ones!

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/27/08 1:28pm
Msg #253342

Gotcha - thanks! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.