Notary Rotary
Lee's 2 cents is the best reason against cattle calls
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 6/26/08 9:47am
Msg #253031

I know of...aside that it is against the forum's rules.

Re: My 2 cents...
Posted by Lee/AR of AR on 6/26/08 8:13am Msg #253017

Overall, it's Harry's call. Just seems to me that SS posting a job is just an easy way for them to fill an assignment. Post, have 14 notaries respond, pick one. Once it starts, it'll be picked up by other SS. >>>Hey, they could even start taking the lowest bid! <<<

>>>Do you really want to sit a your computer all day hitting 'refresh' or scrolling down to see what you MIGHT have missed when you're not otherwise employed?<<<

Or do you want to be able to be reached via phone for new business as you're driving to an appointment?

Lee's been around longer than most. Lee knows. Smile

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/26/08 9:59am
Msg #253033

Thanks Brenda for posting this. I wanted to post on the other thread but it was locked.

Another reason not to allow it is most of us are members here. Some are premier PAYING members. When SS post "looking for a notary" anyone can call them. Folks that aren't even members of N/R can call and low ball the rest of us.
At least if they are using the Find a Notary feature they have the premier members first
( which is why I pay for it ) and then if they can't find anyone they can call someone else that is listed. If they can't find anyone to work for the fees that they are paying then maybe the TC would call us directly. WOW what a concept???

The free advertising aspect has been pointed out by Zee before and I also think this is a legit idea.

Many reasons, but it all boils down to one....It is against the rules of N/R.

Reply by RickinVA on 6/26/08 10:05am
Msg #253035

I saw the deletions, so I stand corrected. I am glad that Harry et al did that, though I have not seen those deleted before, though I may not have recognized that is what WAS deleted. I still think this would be a good place for those type posts, IF IT WAS DONE PROPERLY. (Of course, that idea is now mute.)

Rick

Reply by Loretta on 6/26/08 10:13am
Msg #253039

I think that signing services should not be able to post here looking for notaries. Let them look it up by zip code and find one. Also, if you are not a premiere member I don't think you should be able to post. These postings are clogging up the board and I have to dig through the other stuff to learn some good stuff.
JMHO and they are like butts, right? Smile

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/26/08 10:32am
Msg #253045

Re: Lee's 2 cents is the best reason - Loretta

"Also, if you are not a premiere member I don't think you should be able to post"

Loretta
As I no longer personally do signings I dropped my premiere membership, so you are saying that as I am not a premiere member I shouldn't be able to post?

Reply by Loretta on 6/26/08 11:29am
Msg #253058

Not you Syliva. I appreciate everything you say. I think the weirdos shouldn't be able to post.

Reply by Loretta on 6/26/08 11:30am
Msg #253060

My suggestion would be that Harry have a "jobs offered" board. Maybe that would help.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 10:13am
Msg #253040

2 cents

As someone who has offered signings on board my reasons (only 2) are as follows:

1. at the time, I saw so many complaining and worried in board about the slowness of work and as I had signing agents I could of called some on board would be way down on the list and why not see if someone could benefit.

2. After 6pm email addresses are not showing up in the find a notary search and it would be too late to call and ask for a signing agent in the area for the next day signing.
So those who are up on the computer reading the days happenings on the board might be able to help me out late at night.

#1 did not do well for me as I was blasted for the offer, and accused of being a low ball SS.
However
#2 worked very well for both parties.

These are the only reasons I ever have offered a job on this board, and never ever has it been to get the lowest bid.
As far as it being the easiest way, its not. My clients want a signing filled within 15 mins, and certainly it would take longer to ask here on board.

Another reason some might offer here, is the location is remote, and no one is showing up close and while they look with other methods of filling the signing, this might be a good way to find someone.

So many are complaining of SS not paying, and/or going out of business. There are some of us, who are not either of these two and just want to get the job done.

My 2 cents

Lisa B

Reply by Loretta on 6/26/08 10:17am
Msg #253041

Re: 2 cents

Lisa, number 2 says that you cannot get an email address after 6pm on this board. All you have to do is "sign in" to the website, I haven't had a problem.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 10:21am
Msg #253043

Loretta, I am always signed in, and that was at the time of my board request.
Since then, I will not offer signings on board.
Not because I think its wrong, but because they are not received in the same spirit I offered them.

Smile
thank you for post

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/26/08 11:39am
Msg #253067

Re: 2 cents ~ Perhaps you should buy a membership...

I never have problems getting the info I need! I think that the 6 PM cut off must be for basic or non-members.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/26/08 11:45am
Msg #253071

I never have difficulty either. n/m

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 11:50am
Msg #253077

Re: 2 cents ~ Perhaps you should buy a membership...

I dont know if things have changed, but I have a membership that was purchased
so that is not what it is.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/26/08 11:59am
Msg #253079

I can always find a notary through the Find A Notary feature

no matter the time of day or night. Never a problem.

Reply by MichiganAl on 6/26/08 11:38am
Msg #253065

In summary:

-It's lazy
-It's against forum policy
-It's more likely to attract inexperienced signing agents sitting at home instead of more seasoned agents
-It takes away from those who pay a premium membership to be found first. If those that are complaining it's slow are way down on the list, they should shell out for a premium membership on a site where it's been proven time and time again that it pays you back in spades.
-The issue with no e-mail address showing up doesn't occur if you're signed in. It just doesn't.
-You can search up to 50 miles, so if you can't find someone listed within 50 miles that can take a job, I don't see how someone outside of 50 miles would take it.

Just my two cents, smiley face, smiley face, wink, wink, etc., etc., etc...

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/26/08 12:19pm
Msg #253085

I think that post was worth .12, Al n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/26/08 4:12pm
Msg #253143

On target Alex. Lazy, breaks rules, inexperienced

signing agents attracted more than experienced...takes away from premium memberships.

Great summary.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 10:42am
Msg #253046

exc points AND JMO, but the ones we have called to see what

they offer ??? Every single one was a lowball offer. Some of course do not think that they are 'lowball' as they pay more than 40-50$ .... JMO but I also consider 60-65$ lowball ALSO.

and yes lots of free advertising and building a database

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 11:32am
Msg #253061

Re: exc points AND JMO, but the ones we have called to see what

I have read here that some don’t leave the house for under $150.00
So would that mean any offer less than that is low ball? Maybe to some.

Our fees are not low ball by your standards as you stated fees.

My point was that imputing bad motives to every SS is not valid. I find generalizations are unfair in most circumstances.

I don’t consider this "free advertising, or building a database"
When SS have this web site, and the others, that do that.
I am just not getting this at all.

However, as there are some who do feel this way, it’s not a fight I choose.

There are too many other fights worth my time. Smile

Reply by NCLisa on 6/26/08 11:11am
Msg #253054

Problem is that our email addresses don't show

after certain hours, I'd prefer mine to show all the time as this is a 24/7 business for me. Second is that the great purge was never done, and there are still way to many listings for people no longer in the business.

I have a hell of a time trying to find a NSA in many areas of NC for an attorney that I help out. In some areas, not one person listed is in the business, and at times. I find that the zip code locater gives me info that is 1 hour away from the area that I need.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/26/08 11:36am
Msg #253064

Help me out here... Am I being backward?

As an SS or TC, you'd rather send out e-mails about jobs that need to be filled?
As a Notary, you'd prefer this e-mail method rather than a phone call?
Sorry, but I just can't see this method from either side. I want to know ALL the particulars before quoting/commiting to a signing.
Also, the e-mail addys may not always show (truthfully, I never have figured out that deal), but the phone numbers always do.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/26/08 11:38am
Msg #253066

RForgot to add, if I were an SS or TC

I'd sure like to TALK to the Notary before entrusting them with MY client.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/26/08 11:46am
Msg #253072

Re: RForgot to add, if I were an SS or TC

"I'd sure like to TALK to the Notary before entrusting them with MY client."

That is so true. It also helps to read the profile before calling a notary.

Amazing how many notaries listed here have "No Comments on file" I never call those.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/26/08 12:02pm
Msg #253080

Re: Forgot to add, if I were an SS or TC

I think those 'no comments' profiles are done by people poking around on the 'net and just filling in blanks...probably aren't even notaries. I know of at least one of those in my area. It did get deleted earlier this year (don't know by whom), but had been there for a loooong time.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/26/08 6:10pm
Msg #253172

Really, No Comments tells me all I need to know! n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 6/26/08 11:45am
Msg #253070

Re: Help me out here... Am I being backward?

I've got 2 companies that email me asking me to do closings, they have done that for a year, they give me 2 hours to respond before contacting someone else.

I've got another TC that just automatically books me for any closings in my service area via email, and only call me if the closing is the same day.

If for some reason a company can't get me via phone, email is a great way to contact me. Sometimes I just don't pick up if I don't know the number and I'm busy. But I have a BB, so I get my email all day long.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/26/08 12:21pm
Msg #253086

But Lisa, you have a year's worth of knowing each other

a new to me company should call first, IMO.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/26/08 12:54pm
Msg #253091

Re: But Lisa, you have a year's worth of knowing each other

Yes they should try to call, but if I don't answer or it is after 9pm, then an email works for me, asking if I'm interested (I admit it is nice if they give enough details to help decide). I can call them back, or ignore them. I've gotten emails from CA companies at midnight asking me to do a closing the next afternoon. There are many reasons for them to email.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 11:49am
Msg #253075

Re: Help me out here... Am I being backward?

I prefer the quickest way possible to find a signing agent, and that is by calling.

at 10pm Pacific time, needing a signing agent in New York the following day, I think a signing agent might be mad if I called them at 1am. ( I like to get a jump on my day if I can)
But a signing agent might be up and online at that time and happy to accept a signing for the next day.

I don’t think Lee anyone is saying this is the best way to go about finding a signing agent. But last month end, I needed someone in Florida, and instead of offering the job I ask this forum for help with getting someone. Those that helped were fantastic, and I did not offend anyone that im aware of.
Lisa

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 11:55am
Msg #253078

Are you emailing ONE notary? or sending out to ev1 you find

and than waiting for a rtn message?

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/26/08 12:14pm
Msg #253084

Re: Are you emailing ONE notary? or sending out to ev1 you find

im not sure how to answer that.

I think this discussion started about posting a request for a notary on this board .
I stated the 2 reasons I had in the PAST done this.

I have also emailed request to numerous signing agents in one area and always get a taker or two, when I can email late. (as not always they are blocked)
I always "SPEAK" to the signing agent that is hired.

I have to get going, work is coming in.
everyone have a great day!
Lisa

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 2:21pm
Msg #253124

Re: Are you emailing ONE notary? or sending out to ev1 you

Your heart is in the right place and I think it's great you want offer work. However, the people complaining about lack of work - and they are usually the same ones who post week after week after week (ad nauseum) about how slow it is and they only have 2 today and 1 next Friday - are in one state and the job offered is in another state - which I understand you cannot control - so it's doesn't solve anything for them. On the profile, at the bottom under Notary Detail - it shows if the Notary is available 24 hours so go ahead and call at 1am.

I recently called a 24/7 business and left a vm. When my call wasn't returned (this is Saturday) I called back and the guy answered and when I told him no one returned my call, he said, "Well I'm out of town and it's Saturday." I said, "Well, your website said call ANYTIME 24/7....I can call back on Monday if this is a problem. ". He was like, "NO, NO, NO....it's okay...." needless to say, he scheduled the appointment for fear of losing the business. I would have called him on Monday anyway, but he didn't know that. So if Notary is listed as 24/7, go ahead and call if you have to. Many have said this job is their bread and butter, their phone is their lifeline and they always answer.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/26/08 3:03pm
Msg #253136

LKT, you're a real ball-buster

Seem kind of bitter, too.
BTW, to whomever this poster is advising to:

"go ahead and call if you have to. Many have said this job is their bread and butter, their phone is their lifeline and they always answer."

From my perspective, we that advertise 24/7 really don't want 1 AM calls for next day closings.
We would rather you call us first thing in the morning. The 1 AM calls should be reserved for certain emergencies...like if you have a closing in a few hours that must be filled, or needing a LWT signed at an emergency room.
If you call in the middle of the night, I will answer the phone, however I am not going to be thrilled to hear you ask me if I can take a closing tomorrow at 4 PM.
I think it's really rude and irresponsible for LKT to encourage SS to call us in the middle of the night.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 3:11pm
Msg #253137

Re: LKT, you ESP if they chirp happily: and we pay $50!!!!! n/m

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 3:22pm
Msg #253139

to clarify those that asked :)

at 1:00 am they call and they wake you up to ask if you want a signing tomorrow at 1:00 pm and we pay $50!!!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 4:12pm
Msg #253142

Re: to clarify those that asked :)

I'll tell you the same thing....if you don't want calls in the very early AM, turn your darn phone off! DUH!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 4:10pm
Msg #253141

Re: LKT, you're a real ball-buster

The only ball buster here is YOU, Mista. I said if she HAS TO....if you don't want calls in the wee hours of the night, turn your phone off.....DUH!!!

<<<I think it's really rude and irresponsible for LKT to encourage SS to call us in the middle of the night.>>>

I don't believe you think at all before you post.

Reply by Loretta on 6/26/08 6:08pm
Msg #253171

Personally, I have never had a company call me after 11pm to schedule a closing. I stay up late so I don't mind the calls. If I choose to answer, I will but I will never turn my phone off.
I have 3 children and I am always a phone call away if they need their momma. Living near the beach is both good and bad because these kids stay in Ocean City most of the summer with friends.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/26/08 9:37pm
Msg #253215

"I don't believe you think at all before you post." What??? Sorry, but that sounds a bit to me like the pot calling the kettle black, for lack of a better cliche...

I have to seriously disagree with you on this issue. To any signing services out there, PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME AFTER MIDNIGHT (or before 8:00 am, for that matter), unless it's for an emergency signing that someone is willing to pay a great deal for! In that case, we *might* have something to talk about.

I do not ever turn my phone off, because I frequently AM still up at 1:00 am, which means I'm not bright eyed and bushy-tailed at the crack of dawn. I might not even be awake yet (in which case I couldn't have turned my phone back on). But if a title company (or one of my good ss clients) wants to call with an assignment in the morning, I want to take the call. Whether or not I roll back over is my own business. ;>Wink

But whether it's very late at night or early in the morning, we are not machines and do need *some* rest time. This is just a matter of a little basic common courtesy, imo. Most of us advertise 24/7 because we're willing to consider signings at all kinds of crazy hours seven days a week. That doesn't mean that people should be completely disrepectful of the time when making calls. SSs and TCs should realize that most of us operate out of our homes and run a sole proprietorship. 24/7 doesn't mean that we never take a break, and I think most get that.

I did, however, get a call one time at 1:45 am. (I was awake, just about to hit the sheets.) It scared the @%&# out of me. It was some young guy who I think just got off work and was just curious, or it was a prank call - or he was clueless. He had a couple of notary questions, which I did my best to answer for him, and it appeared that he had one document to get notarized. I told him that it would probably cost him a lot more than he wanted to pay for me to deal with it at that hour! (Never did hear back from him.)

I hate late night calls! I got a call at 4:00 am when my father passed away, and my mother is nearly 88 years old... There's never a good time for a call like that, but the worst time is the dead of night (no pun intended...) when you're sound asleep!

If you want people to call you at all hours, LKT/CA that's your privilege, but please don't put speak for all of us on something like that. That's MY 2 cents...

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/26/08 10:26pm
Msg #253217

Janet: I agree completely! turning your phone off to sleep

is not a great idea. My sister used to turn hers off and i could not get her to answer one night at 1:30 am to tell her to get dressed I would be there in an hour to pick her up. Our 18-yo cousin had just died and my auntie wanted her 2 fav nieces with her immed. I had to call and have the police over there banging on her door waking her up to tell her to call her sis. Now that is MAJOR scary having cops bangin on your door waking you up. My sister has never turned her phone off at night again.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/26/08 10:49pm
Msg #253220

I believe that most of us advertising 24/7 mean that if you (TC, SS, general public) call us at a reasonable hour stating your need to be scheduled at 3am, then we will schedule this time for you. But to call me at 1am for for the next day in the afternoon: not a reasonable hour. Call 1am for 3am: we can work it out as it may be dire, but I have right of refusal if we can't work the fee, as with any other request during regular, reasonable hours.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 11:40pm
Msg #253222

<<<I don't believe you think at all before you post." What??? Sorry, but that sounds a bit to me like the pot calling the kettle black, for lack of a better cliche...>>>

You're another one who doesn't "think" before she posts. My post was to SoCalSignings, in specific response to her point of calling late and I said if she HAD TO. That was not a general invitation for SS's and TC's to call Notaries at all hours of the night. I would expect any SS or TC with a modicum of consideration to only call late night in a dire need if they HAVE TO.....and only for those LISTED as 24/7 availability. If you didn't glean that from my post and you typed all the nonsense you typed...then you need to take Reading Comprehension 101. What part of HAVE TO do you not understand??

<<<If you want people to call you at all hours, LKT/CA that's your privilege, but please don't put speak for all of us on something like that. >>>

The third dumbest statement of the day. Misty's was the first and Zee's was the second. Let me repeat myself: My comment to So Cal Signings was NOT a general invitation for companies to call Notaries at all hours of the night. Learn to comprehend what you read before post crap. If you advertise as being available 24/7, do not then complain and whine that you get calls from companies at 1am.

I'll tell you, JanetK, like I told Zee and Misty......if you don't want calls in the wee hours of the night, TURN YOUR DARN PHONE OFF. If you don't, refrain from b**ching to me about it.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/27/08 12:07am
Msg #253223

Re: LKT, what is yr prob? you really can be so nasty n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 12:28am
Msg #253224

Re: LKT, what is yr prob? you really can be so nasty

Always remember this: I speak to others as I have been spoken to..... If I come across as nasty, that is how I've been spoken to. My post is taken completely out of context, my statements misinterpreted and spoken to condescendingly (i.e. ball buster, bitter, something about chirping and $50) - I respond and clarify your misinterpretations - in the very tone you dished out - and you ask me what my problem is....I should be asking YOU that question......so...what is YR problem Zee?

I'm not nasty to those who are not nasty to me. The reverse is also true.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/27/08 1:26am
Msg #253225

Here's the statement that prompted me to reply. "On the profile, at the bottom under Notary Detail - it shows if the Notary is available 24 hours so go ahead and call at 1am."

If you were speaking for yourself, I would have no quarrel with your statement. However, because some people might interpret a lack of response here as a consensus, I simply wanted to be on record for anyone else who might be reading this board that I strongly disagree with your premise that it is no problem to call a so-called 24/7 notary at any time for ANY reason. I also disagree that the solution is to turn off our cell phones.

That's just my opinion. It's a shame that you've decided to take it as a personal attack. I've strongly disagreed with some of my best friends before and we just agree to disagree. They're still my friends. I'm going to choose to ignore the rest of your comments 'cause they're not worth responding to.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/27/08 2:34pm
Msg #253369

I didn't take your post as a personal attack. JanetK, you never bothered to ask me to clarify that statement you took it out of context and the way I know that is by your statement that said something like "if I don't mind getting calls at all hours of the night, fine, but don't speak for the rest of you." I also prefer companies to call me during regular business hours (like anyone else) but I am listed as 24/7 and if a company HAD TO, as opposed to being able to wait, then okay.

Nowhere in any post did I make the claim that others "welcome" calls at all hours of the night. Not one place. But you made the mistaken assumption that I did, without asking me. I was not speaking "for" others, I was addressing So Cal Signing's point of calling at 10pm PST where it may be 1am EST, that if she HAD TO.....the operative words that kept getting ignored. A few people who responded are not even listed as 24/7 in their profiles so they wouldn't even get the call so why they even bothered to complain to me about it is beyond my comprehension.

When someone has a cell phone on and is listed as 24/7, that is the risk they take, that they may get a call during the late night. They cannot complain about it. I don't give companies my home phone, only my cell and when I don't wish to take calls in the wee hours, it goes to vibrate or off. People important to me have my home phone and can call that one if they need to reach me in the wee hours. But nowhere did I give an open invitation for any and every company to start calling Notaries in the wee hours when they can wait to call during normal business hours and I believe the majority of people reading got that concept.

The issue I take with a lot of you on this board is that you do not bother to ask for clarification....you quickly misinterpret my post, jump to conclusions and misquote me. You take for granted that you know what I mean by what I write and sometimes you don't. But you write snidely and condescendingly. This last post you wrote was not snide or condescending. I respond in kind, then it looks like I'm the b!tch and the rude and nasty one. As I told Zee, I respond to people in manner they respond to me.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 3:35pm
Msg #253380

"I respond to people in manner they respond to me."

So you do not "turn the other cheek?"

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/27/08 3:36pm
Msg #253382

My comical impression of LKT

http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=27417114

Reply by jba/fl on 6/27/08 3:44pm
Msg #253385

comical impression of LKT: Excellent! TY n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.