Notary Rotary
Live Scan
Notary Discussion History

Live Scan
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/16/08 12:23pm
Msg #251488

Live Scan

its been 2 commissions ago since I had to get a live scan, wow the price as really gone up.
was $20.00 the last time I had it done almost 8 years ago
$71.00 now.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/16/08 12:45pm
Msg #251492

That is because besides the DOJ, which increased it's fee to $32, you have the FBI fee, which recently reduced from $24 to $19, then the rolling fee. Prior to January 1, 2008, we did not need the FBI screening

It's all about fees!

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 6/16/08 1:11pm
Msg #251496

well thank you for the details, I did notice that also.

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/16/08 1:13pm
Msg #251497

It's all about influencing the legislature

There is no logical reason to have to do two scans except that the owners of the Live Scan equipment and the owners of the Live Scan "rollers" got together and via political contributions convinced Members of the CA Legislature that it would be a good idea to make the Notary applicant pay "just a little bit more". How silly it is in this day and age to have to scan the same fingerprints twice when the digital information from the first scan can easily be sent in one single transmission to thousands of law enforcement departments at no additional cost to the scanning company.

That is why we need to make campaign financing at all levels exclusively from public funds and ban (with stiff penalties including jail terms) any private and corporate contributions over a very small amount to any candidate. Then maybe the government (including all three branches) will stop being the pawns of big money.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/16/08 2:22pm
Msg #251502

Re: It's all about influencing the legislature

I had mine done a few months back and did not have to have it done twice. It cost me $10 for the scanning portion at the Irvine police department. They used the same scan for both background checks. The state sends a list of various options and it is up to us to choose. So my total cost for that portion of the renewal process was $61.

In this specific case, I don't think the legislature had anything to do that fee, except requiring it to be repeated. It's up to the operators of the live scan services what fees they charge. As for requiring the increased background checks, I'm not thrilled about the additional fees by a long shot (I didn't have to repeat the live scan the last time I renewed my commission). But given the current environment, and all the yahoos on every corner that are getting a notary commission because it looks easy or they heard they could make tons of money, etc., I have to support it.

Additionally, it seems like most of the time I have the opportunity to see a document notarized by someone else, I find some kind of error -- usually the wrong certificate. (I'd guess 70-80% have errors!) I saw one last week where the other notary didn't bother dating the certificate. (That one was from another state - but I doubt any other state's laws allow a certificate that isn't dated!) At this point, I think the tougher they make it to get a commission, the better!

Reply by Jack Tri on 6/16/08 10:58pm
Msg #251582

Re: It's all about influencing the legislature

Livescan> Live Scan equipment owners only gets Rolling fee they make only 20 dollars is all money they get to keep.

Reply by Donna LaBelle on 6/16/08 5:52pm
Msg #251536

how does it work if you have had the federal screening done several months before (but less than a year before) the commission has to be renewed?

Reply by Donna LaBelle on 6/16/08 5:51pm
Msg #251535

Oh my gosh it was $44 when I had to do it. Don't forget that new little thing about the passport photo- I have been calling around pricing those for company name badges and the best price I found was at Walgreens- less than $8 for 2 copies of the picture.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/17/08 2:35am
Msg #251599

Costco is cheaper, if you're a member. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.