Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
NNA's Trusted Enrollment Agent program cannot be trusted.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by rolomia on 6/22/08 3:58pm
Msg #252503

NNA's membership has decreased so dramatically that they created the TEA program in order to recruit new suckers (I mean "members"Wink and to boost renewals. Their CSR told me that I would only qualify for the TEA program if I'm a current member. Thus, I renewed. However, when I called them about the TEA program this last Friday, they informed me that the program has been discontinued for lack of interest & funding. You'll notice that all references to said program have since been removed from their website. In fact, they won't even discuss it with you, anymore. Obviously, they now realize that they have exposed themselves to tremendous legal liability. When I told their CSR that I wanted a refund of my membership dues since I only renewed due to their statement that I'd earn more income as a TEA, I was referred to their Terms of Service. Apparently, they can say anything they want, even if untrue, in order to boost their membership income. Once I pay for same, no refunds are issued, ever. On top of that, she felt the need to also point out that members who complain can be cancelled without getting any money back. I therefore suggest that we all file a class-action lawsuit. The NNA lied to us. They should pay. At the very least, I am in the process of filing complaints against them with the Better Business Bureau and www.ripoffreport.com. Who's with me?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/22/08 4:10pm
Msg #252504

ROFL..that's just too funny!! And no, not you Rolomia...the whole TEA thing - I enrolled and took the two tests provided because I was already a member with a BGC so everything for me was free - boy what egg on their face!!! Amazing I didn't get an e-mail that the program I passed and the database I'd been entered into was discontinued - before I took the tests I was getting daily e-mails touting this program!!

Ah well..maybe a good thing - maybe now I can market myself independently for this type of service...thanks for the info!!

Reply by rolomia on 6/22/08 4:34pm
Msg #252505

btw...do a keyword search on their site for "TEA" or "Trusted Enrollment Agent". The search engine will return an "item not found" result. The only evidence that the program ever existed is the promo page at http://www.nationalnotary.org/trustedagent/. Of course, I did mention this to the CSR when I questioned her as to why the page was still available on their website if said program has actually been discontinued as she claims, and was told that they are keeping it up to measure interest in the program, just in case they are able to promote this program again, at some time in the future. I'm guessing that their legal dept. probably figured out the SCAM and doesn't want to go to jail. Thus, they recommended said program suspension. You can still take the tests. Just don't expect anything to become of it. I also suspect that the NNA will deny any conspiratorial relationship with the two companies they supposedly represent for this program. 10% royalties paid to them by the NNA based upon number of new & renewing memberships generated by interest in TEA program is probably close to $1,000,000 or more.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/22/08 6:20pm
Msg #252518

rolomia - thanks for the update...but

"I'm guessing that their legal dept. probably figured out the SCAM and doesn't want to go to jail. "

How are they in trouble? Someone spell it out for me.

I'm no fan of the NNA (not a member/won't be) but don't quite understand how they've gotten in trouble by this.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/22/08 6:44pm
Msg #252521

Re: rolomia - thanks for the update...but

I'm just guessing here but I think what she's taking exception to is (a) come train to be a TEA and earn $xx....many companies on board - new avenue for notaries, then (b) oh..you're not a member? You must be a member to take the courses to be a TEA; then (c) woops...not enough interest so we're discontinuing the program for now; and finally (d) what? You became a member in order to be allowed to train for this exciting opportunity that is no longer available? Oh, sorry, that's too bad but no - we're not going to refund your membership fee - you stuck being a member for the next year.....sorry bout that..and in the meantime in their agreement you agree not to privately market yourself for this service....

I understand the frustration - what I don't understand is the constant calls for class action suits....they are far more involved than most realize and far more expensive...but I'm seeing it a lot - MHO

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/22/08 6:49pm
Msg #252525

Re: rolomia - thanks for the update...but

I totally agree that they are not playing fairly...

But as to "Oh, sorry, that's too bad but no - we're not going to refund your membership fee "...I thought they had a "King's X" spelled out in their Terms of Service...kind of like we can do whatever we choose and you agree to it...and we won't refund your membership money once you sign up...for ANY reason...and you AGREE to it and can't sue us because you are already forewarned right here in the Terms of Service which you have to AGREE to before you can become a member.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/22/08 6:54pm
Msg #252526

Probably right, Brenda..

but the fact that they extract a membership fee with a promise of work in a new program then fold that program - the enrollee paid the membership fee so they could avail themselves of work in this new program (available only through the NNA)...now no program but they're keeping the membership money.

Sort of like okay, pay us for our ENS - okay, we're not doing that any more but we're keeping your money.

Still not class action material IMHO. Sort of on the "doo doo occurs" side of life...Smile

Reply by desktopfull on 6/22/08 7:11pm
Msg #252528

Forgot the part that if you cause a problem we'll cancel

your membership and still keep your money. Gotta love the way they are looking out for the notaries, HUH?

Reply by NCLisa on 6/22/08 4:49pm
Msg #252506

I am not surprised. They were enrolling members from states that still don't allow electronic notarizations in anyway. I wonder what their next money making scheme will be?!

Reply by Gerry_VT on 6/22/08 5:13pm
Msg #252508

IRS

Does anyone know if there is a mechanism to petition the Internal Revenue Service to revoke an organization's tax-exempt status?

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/22/08 5:24pm
Msg #252510

Re: IRS - Sylvia, you're good at this...

There are 2 entities to the NNA. Only 1 is a not-for-profit. The other 'side' is definitely a for PROFIT...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/22/08 5:53pm
Msg #252514

Re: IRS - Sylvia, you're good at this...

Yes, I know that they have two entities. I had an e-mail on this from "someone in the know" a few years ago, and if I remember correctly they "transfer" money from one to the other.

Also, and I haven't checked in a couple of years there is (or was)

National Notary Services Assoc
Owner/Milton Valera
Sole Proprietorship
9350 De Soto Avenue
Chatsworth, California 91313

which I think is the "mother" corp. And according to the Federal Election Commission, the National Notary Services Assn. donated $500 to Bill Jones Senate campaign. That was the last time I checked in 2005. I wonder if members knew their money was going to a political campaign.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/22/08 5:25pm
Msg #252511

Are they exempt under 501(c)(3)? n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 8:31am
Msg #252565

Re: Are they exempt under 501(c)(3)?

Probably not. Like us, they may be chartered under 501(c)(6), but I don't know that as a fact.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p557/ch04.html

Marlene
Pennsylvania Association of Notaries
www.notary.org

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/23/08 11:47pm
Msg #252691

Re: Are they exempt under 501(c)(3)?

I recall looking into this a few years back. Wish I could remember the website, but I recall that only their foundation was registered as a 501(c)(3). I believe, the other side of the business was incorporated as a for-profit enterprise.

Reply by desktopfull on 6/22/08 7:12pm
Msg #252529

Re: IRS

When did the NNA become a tax-exempt organization?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/22/08 5:16pm
Msg #252509

Re: NNA's Trusted Enrollment Agent program cannot be trusted

This is odd. I just received an email from them on Thursday, which said:

Exciting news! NNA Trusted Enrollment Agents™ (TEA) have carried out their first paid identity-proofing assignments. This is just the beginning of what promises to be a huge business opportunity for Notaries nationwide!

A Trusted Enrollment Agent™ is a Notary whose services are in demand by leading industries to identify persons seeking electronic identity credentials. Such credentials are now needed by professionals to send, receive and handle sensitive electronic documents. Without question, this offers Notaries like you the most lucrative opportunity for business growth since the Notary Signing Agent field opened up. Major industries from aerospace to banking to the medical and pharmacological fields will be demanding your services.

As more and more major corporations require the services of Trusted Enrollment Agents™, the demand for qualified Notaries will grow. Sustained long-term business growth is forecasted.

As a Notary you already have many of the skills required to get started, and can qualify to become a TEA with a small amount of additional training. Because you are a background-screened Notary and an NNA member, your registration and training are free. All you need to do is to enroll in the TEA program at www.NationalNotary.org/TrustedAgent. Be sure to bookmark this private link.

By enrolling today, Notaries like you will be ready to go when assignments reach
your region. It will also give you the advantage of being able to establish, and build,
invaluable long-term business relationships as the demand for the services of TEAs
multiplies.

I urge you to get in on the groundfloor of this exciting new business opportunity that offers remarkable potential for financial growth.

Sincerely,

Carol Pacheco
TEA Enrollment Manager

P.S. Trusted Enrollment Agents™ are in demand from leading industries. Register for the TEA Program and be prepared for assignments as the TEA Program rolls out across the nation.

Yet you called them Friday, and they said it was discontinued. Either the left hand there doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or I've stepped into a time warp...

Reply by rolomia on 6/22/08 9:31pm
Msg #252545

Hi MikeC/NY,

Thanks for your comments. I will call again, tomorrow. The girl I spoke to, last week, told me, in no uncertain terms that the TEA program was suspended/discontinued, for now. Maybe she meant that it was in the process of being suspended/discontinued. I don't know. I did sort of call in with an attitude, I'll admit I was upset by what seems to be empty promises. It's been 3 months that they've been touting this program to their current & former members. Then, when I called to ask why I haven't heard anymore about it, to be told that it was discontinued. I will ask for an email or other written documentation confirming said program suspension when I call, tomorrow. I hope I haven't been blacklisted because I boldly (yet, still politely) inquired as to the TEA's program status. In any event, at least I now have your statement that said program is still supposed to be in operation. That brings up a whole new issue of contradictory stories by NNA reps. I have been a continuous member of the NNA (& the NSA section) since 2004, although my card only shows membership since 2005. When I called to get same corrected, I was merely told that I was wrong, and then their rep. hung up on me. They hate to admit when their wrong. In other words, expect more of the same. Lies and half-truths. I hope I never have to file a claim dependent upon the integrity of my association with the NNA. Their TOS protects them, not me, even though my insurance was bought through them. I won't be renewing next year. Good luck to you all. Great posts by the way. Thanks!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/22/08 9:50pm
Msg #252546

When you call them, quote the email that I posted. Heck, tell them you received a copy - it's not like they can check....

I received that email on Thursday, 6/19 - unless I'm in that time warp I was wondering about, there must be others who received it as well.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/22/08 10:07pm
Msg #252547

Heh..time warp...is that what they're calling it now??.<G>..

hehe...

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/23/08 5:53pm
Msg #252658

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 9:23am
Msg #252574

If you let your membership lapse for even 1 hour

they will not consider you a continous member. My membership with them started in 1992, and in 2003 they had website problems when I was renewing. They knew I was trying to renew, but it was their problems that made me have to mail in a check. My memberhip lapsed by 1 day so my new card said member since 2003 and they issued me a new member number and purged my old member number. I called and asked them to fix it, they said they had no record of the emails regarding their website problems, and my mailing in a check, and they had no record of me being a member prior to 2003.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/22/08 5:40pm
Msg #252513

Very interesting that you brought their "Terms of Service" to our attention. Now I really get it--they lure members w/promises they don't have to keep. My membership is coming due & I was going to renew to stay up with legal changes, etc. I will rethink the whole thing. Thanks.
NNA is run by attorneys--I'm not saying all attorney are bad, but this really stinks!

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/22/08 6:08pm
Msg #252515

"NNA is run by attorneys" - - - Really?

I had no idea that the "owners" of the business were attorneys.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/22/08 7:18pm
Msg #252532

Re: "NNA is run by attorneys" - - - Really? I know cracked

me up being that I am also a paralega... any smart company has an attorney review and review and review every rewrite of any and all contracts before it hits the public

that said, still think they are not there for the notary...just to make a buck any way they can
jmo

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/22/08 7:27pm
Msg #252533

http://www.nationalnotary.org/about/index.cfm?text=aboutManage

None of the management team lists themselves as being an attorney. I just wondered where MW/VA got their information.

I'm sure they have counsel but I don't think they are "run by attorneys".

Kinda mean to associate the NNA with attorneys IMHO. My experience with attorneys has been good.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/22/08 7:40pm
Msg #252535

Incidentally I believe Deborah Thaw is Milt Valera's wifeSmile

Reply by NCLisa on 6/22/08 7:47pm
Msg #252536

Only one of them is an attorney that I know of

Timothy S. Reiniger, Vice President and Executive Director.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/22/08 8:30pm
Msg #252541

Re: Only one of them is an attorney that I know of

Yes, he is the only one. Admitted to the California state bar December 4th 2001

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/08 6:22am
Msg #252555

Re: Only one of them is an attorney that I know of

Hmmm...you'd think as a member of the California Bar he'd list that on the NNA website. "Legal expert" can be something other than an attorney, yet that's how he is described. Thanks for the research, Sylvia.

Reply by PA_NOTARY on 6/22/08 6:41pm
Msg #252519

If you put your membership on a credit card....

I would call them a dispute that charge and the reasons why. Also, isn't there such thing as that 3 day thing to change your mind in all states?

Reply by PAW on 6/23/08 8:17am
Msg #252563

No ...

Obligors of consumer **loans secured by a principal dwelling** may have the right to rescind the loan transaction until midnight of the third business day following the last of three events: 1) the consummation of the transaction; 2) the delivery of rescission forms and 3) the delivery of all material disclosures required by TILA ( material disclosures are the annual percentage rate, the finance charge, the amount financed, the total payments, the payment schedule, and, if applicable, the predatory lending disclosures and limitations referred to in 12 CFR § 226.32 (c) and (d).)

A rescission period, return policy or money-back guarantee may be offered by the vendor, but the practice is up to them whether or not they will. Some companies sell goods and services "as is"with no recourse and thus once you pay for it, you're stuck.

Reply by sue_pa on 6/23/08 8:42am
Msg #252566

Re: No ...

I THINK (don't know and not looking it up) that PA has some type law that if someone comes into your home and sells you something (Kirby sweepers, siding contractor, etc.) you receive 3 days to cancel - I believe the theory was that people might feel pressured and want to get the salesman out the door any way possible.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/23/08 4:03am
Msg #252552

As someone else said, the class action thing is unlikely to go anywhere, but good idea to complain to the BBB. The more people who do that, the more likely that some day some entity somewhere will shine a big light on their questionable [imho] practices.

I severed ties with them a long time ago. My first inkling of the way they operate was 1.5 hours into one of the first NSA classes they ever held. I'll spare you all the story, but I did get my registration fee back. My feathers don't ruffle easy, but I was a *very* unhappy camper very soon into that class! And it's been the same kind of thing ever since. Sad thing is that I believe that if they didn't try so hard to squeeze notaries, but instead really focused on trying to add value to their membership, they would retain and ATTRACT members, instead of having to manipulate people into it. I'd guess the number of current notaries who are former members of the NNA to be very large -- judging by comments on this forum, anyway...

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 9:10am
Msg #252570

All the program info is up on their site. n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 9:34am
Msg #252575

Where, Lisa?

I'm having trouble finding it. . .

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/08 9:46am
Msg #252576

Re: Where, Lisa? -Is this what you are looking for, Marlene?

http://www.nationalnotary.org/trustedagent/

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/08 9:56am
Msg #252579

Wow...I checked the website yesterday after reading

this post and couldn't find a thing....

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/08 10:50am
Msg #252588

The link was in rolomia's 2nd post. That's why I had it. n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 11:06am
Msg #252590

Missed it. Thanks, Brenda and rolomia. n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 10:35am
Msg #252584

Yes, but. . .but. . .but. . .

I couldn't find a direct link to it on the NNA site. So it's hard to know if it's still an active program or not.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 10:44am
Msg #252586

Re: Yes, but. . .but. . .but. . .

I've always had problems navigating their website! I always found it easier to google what I wanted and it took me straight to the correct page on their site.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 11:02am
Msg #252589

Smart Lisa. Thanks! n/m

Reply by PAW on 6/23/08 1:14pm
Msg #252603

Looking for the link?

http://www.nationalnotary.org/news/index.cfm?Text=newsNotary&newsID=1401

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 1:23pm
Msg #252605

Re: Looking for the link?

I went to the site, under News and Resources/Notary News, it's no longer listed. . .

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/08 1:25pm
Msg #252607

No longer listed under their training programs either... n/m

Reply by PAW on 6/23/08 1:30pm
Msg #252608

Re: Looking for the link?

Wow. It was there when I looked, but then I was probably looking at a copy in cache. After refreshing, the link and reference was gone. Just like magic. Now, if we only could ....

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/23/08 10:14am
Msg #252581

All I can say is...I'm not at all surprised.

A search of "TEA" on this site reveals many posts since 3/31/08 and many members of this site warned that this was just another way for the XYZ to increase membership and part the unwitting NSA with their hard earned money. Once again, excellent advice given, but not heard or just plain ignored by those that truly believe that the XYZ actually supports the notary profession.

WAKE UP!

Quit crying and put on your listening ears. It's not that we "hate" the XYZ and just want to "bash" the organization because we're mean people and hopefully you can see that now. The truth was posted on this forum over and over. You were warned over and over, but you choose to ignore the warnings and believe the propaganda the XYZ was touting. Too bad, so sad, you were had. Next time do your homework and listen to what others are saying. I won't say we told you so.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/08 10:23am
Msg #252582

For those of us who didn't have to pay new money for this

it was worth the shot - no money spent so no harm, no foul IMO.. I feel bad for those who spent new money for membership and BGC to meet the requirements only to be told oh, sorry, not enough interest so no program - and oh, by the way, we're keeping your money. THAT's what I think is just plain wrong. JMHO

Reply by elk4us on 6/23/08 12:26pm
Msg #252597

BTW, did anyone attend the nna conference this year?. I wonder how much the conference attendance this year dropped?? The TEA program was supposed to be a big thing at the nna conference this year.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 1:05pm
Msg #252601

Video of NNA 2008 conference on youtube

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/08 1:58pm
Msg #252610

Boy oh boy...aren't we all sorry we missed that. n/m

Reply by ME/NJ on 6/23/08 2:11pm
Msg #252611

Where is the Super Notary from OH who loves the NNA?

Nothing to say about your loved NNA?

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 2:17pm
Msg #252612

Found the vid when I was searching for the

TEA stuff. I almost fell off my chair when I realized it was the 2008 conference and it was posted to youtube! I guess they figured someone would find it interesting. NOT!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/08 2:21pm
Msg #252613

It's the 2007 conference per the intro & background.... n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 6/23/08 2:54pm
Msg #252616

Video is titled: NNA Conference '08 features Trusted

Enrollment Agent opportunity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95W_Q3blhgI

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/08 2:56pm
Msg #252617

Looks like the YouTube poster messed up - it's clearly the

2007 conference....

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/24/08 12:40am
Msg #252694

Re: Looks like the YouTube poster messed up - it's clearly the

I cracked up with the person who said that they couldn't find that kind of information anywhere else. There are so many directions I could take that statement... and I'm sure most of you could, as well!!

Reply by WDMD on 6/24/08 5:23am
Msg #252699

Re: Looks like the YouTube poster messed up - it's clearly the

"I cracked up with the person who said that they couldn't find that kind of information anywhere else"

Some of the information they put out shouldn't be found out by anyone.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/24/08 6:11am
Msg #252702

Lisa, Typical.

The video is obviously a professional attempt. Who would have possession of that besides the NNA? It appears to be their mistake to have the wrong subject line on the video.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.