Notary Rotary
Notary Certificates
Notary Discussion History

Notary Certificates
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Sylvia_FL on 6/28/08 3:03pm
Msg #253525

Notary Certificates

I am sure everyone here does fill out notary certificates correctly.

I had a young man come to me today with some documents he needed to sign and have notarized. They were going to Jamaica. He said he also needed some kind of certificate so he could get an apostille. I had no idea what he was referring to. I told him the only certificates I had were my notary certificates and I would be adding them to the docs as what was on the docs were not Florida compliant notary certificates. He said that is what he meant.
Apparently he had some documents he signed and had notarized previously and the SOS wouldn't issue him an apostille for them. The notary didn't add any certificates. She had used what was on the documents.

Reply by Tony_FL on 6/28/08 3:52pm
Msg #253527

NO .. apparently some "don't know how"

Full story: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=112465&catid=15

Florida "Statehouse candidate states she was unfairly disqualified"

... After turning in her paperwork on the last day to qualify, last Friday, Young says she received a call that night from the Secretary of State's office.

It told her she did not qualify because the notary stamp on her paperwork was incomplete and left out the county where the stamping was done.

Sounds like somebody doesn't know what a VENUE is; nor how to properly apply their seal.

Reply by Julianne Akyol on 6/28/08 4:09pm
Msg #253528

disqualified on a scribblers error

So now we are scribblers? LOL

If that is her photo, she looks mighty mad...

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/28/08 4:53pm
Msg #253530

Re: disqualified on a scribblers error ROFL

For those that don't know how that should read, it is known as a scrivener's error.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/28/08 4:54pm
Msg #253531

LOL...yep...and she wants to hold public office... n/m

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/28/08 4:57pm
Msg #253532

Re: disqualified on a scribblers error

The public is probably fortunate that it is not confronted with a candidate who doesn't know the difference beween a "scribbler" and a "scrivener."

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/28/08 5:02pm
Msg #253533

Re: disqualified on a scribblers error

What's that they say about keeping quiet and appearing ignorant rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt??

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/28/08 5:06pm
Msg #253536

Gonna backpedal here and play devil's advocate..

I didn't see a video on that so it's possible it's the reporter's mistake and not he candidate's...but definitely the notary's mistake!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/28/08 5:10pm
Msg #253537

Agree Linda. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/28/08 5:14pm
Msg #253539

Besides...the reporter is a dunce for writing scribblers ...

with no apostrophe.

It should be "scribbler's error".

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/28/08 5:17pm
Msg #253540

ROFL...too funny, Brenda!!!

In any event - I hope the notary paid his/her E&O insurance...

Reply by jba/fl on 6/28/08 6:04pm
Msg #253543

Re: Gonna backpedal here and play devil's advocate..

"Totally shocked when I get a call from the director of the division of elections saying you were disqualified on a scribblers error by the notary because they didn't put the county," says Young. "

Now, she could have said it properly and was misunderstood by the reporter, or she said correctly and was quoted thusly. We will never know.
But...
we do know that Ms. Young did not pay attention to the details, nor did her staff or whoever filed the reports, or she/they would have noticed a blank on the form.

Hummm...does not pay attention to details? Do we want her in office?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/28/08 6:20pm
Msg #253546

Re: Gonna backpedal here and play devil's advocate..

How many people - public officials or otherwise - would think to question the competence of a notary or the completeness of a notarization? The vast majority of the world doesn't waste a milli-second of thought on these issues. To them, a notarization is a notarization. [Or maybe I should say a notary is a notary...] No question, though, that the notary should have noticed the blank on the form!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/28/08 10:07pm
Msg #253569

Watching First Coast News now..

hoping they'll show the clip about her - want to see if I can hear what she said...

Reply by Tony_FL on 6/28/08 6:25pm
Msg #253547

... the VENUE problem ...

I found another article online that states :

In a space marked "County," the notary wrote "Florida" instead of "Duval."

I can see that happening. Since it was a state of Florida form, it probably already had "State of Florida" pre-printed on it and then had the County of ______________ space to be filled in by the Notary who FAILED by inserting "Florida" instead of "Duval".

Reply by Doris_CO on 6/28/08 4:13pm
Msg #253529

According to my Colorado handbook, an Apostille is part of the Hague Convention and is done through the SOS to ensure acceptance of a Notary signature and stamp. It's used for documents that will go to another country. The person who requested the notarization must submit the document to the SOS for the Apostille.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/28/08 5:04pm
Msg #253534

Re: Notary Certificates - Doris

Yes, he knew that. But the last set of documents he sent for the apostille were returned, SOS refused the apostille as there wasn't a legitimate Florida notary certificate on them. The notary obviously didn't know what he/she was doing.

Reply by Doris_CO on 6/29/08 12:03am
Msg #253580

I'm sorry Sylvia, I guess I misunderstood your post.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/29/08 11:56am
Msg #253622

Yes, I can see why it could have been misunderstood. I wasn't meaning the apostille when I posted I had no idea what he was referring to. (I am a certified notary instructor and have covered apostilles in the classes I taught) He had said he needed some kind of certificate to get the apostille, and it sounded like he was looking for something other than the notarization on the document. And I have never had to provide something for the signer to get an apostille.

On another note, I got a call the other day, female looking for a notary. She needed someone who had "a seal with the raised letters". I asked her if she meant the embosser, and she said that was it. I told her that although I had one it was no longer legal in Florida. Have to use the inked seal. I told her I would be happy to add the embosser to the notary certificate along with the inked seal. But she wanted the embosser only, so I guess she was going to call around until she found someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.