Notary Rotary
Notary stuff - sort of...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by MikeC/NY on 6/7/08 9:45pm
Msg #250404

I was watching a movie tonight called "All The Right Moves", starring a very young Tom Cruise as a high school football player in a small Pennsylvania town, and Craig T. Nelson as the coach. At the very end of the movie, Cruise's character is offered a full football scholarship, and then handed a document and a pen. The camera pans over his shoulder so we can watch him as he eagerly signs his acceptance.

Something jumped at me from the corner of my eye as I watched this, so I rewound a bit, played it back and paused on what he was signing....

It was a CA acknowledgment form, with Nelson's character named as the "personally appeared before me"; Cruise's character was signing on the notary's signature line.

It was odd enough that they used that document, but then they even went to the trouble of putting the coach's name on it... I've seen continuity gaffes before, but this is now my all time favorite. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the scene and convert it to something I could upload, but if you ever have an opportunity to see the movie, watch the last scene carefully. Only a notary could truly appreciate it.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 6/7/08 9:53pm
Msg #250405

Re: Notary stuff - sort of...My favorite is not a "gaffe"

but an illegal act committed by Carol Hathaway in the TV series ER.

It's in the episode where she is buying a house and makes the notary wait in the ER almost the entire day since she's busy. Before she can sign all the papers, he ends up having a heart attack (or something) and dies. Carol then uses his seal to stamp the last document herself.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/7/08 10:00pm
Msg #250407

Poetic License??? Both are too funny to be real... n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/7/08 10:35pm
Msg #250414

Re: Notary stuff - sort of...My favorite is not a "gaffe"

Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines - they're at the mini mart getting gas, but after John Connor puts the nozzle in and locks the trigger thingy, the numbers don't move on the pump.....you'd be lead to believe they got gas....

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/7/08 11:08pm
Msg #250416

Sharp eye Mike, I'm impressed! They must have had a notary around somewhere and grabbed whatever was handy for the scene. Just a little side bar to your story. I heard today that the recent writers strike cost the state over $40 million dollars. Ancilliary services were impacted by the strike when the writers went out.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/7/08 11:52pm
Msg #250420

I heard that, too. I'm surprised they haven't also mentioned the impact of all the layoffs related to the "mortgage meltdown". Several lenders are/were located in OC - and Countrywide's major headquarters I believe is/was in the San Fernando Valley. Add their ancillary services, title co's, etc., and it adds up to quite a bit. But I have no idea how that compares to the entertainment industry.

Maybe it's just because most of the media is headquartered in LA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.