Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
OT: Beware of ordering flowers over the Web!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Ernest__CT on 6/23/08 10:05pm
Msg #252681

Lately I've been ridiculously slow in Notary work, so I've been working on getting more Justice of the Peace stuff going. That's one reason you haven't seen much of me here recently. I still love you!

A very recent bride told me she'd ordered her flowers via the Web. (She refused to tell me the name of the company. Don't know why.) She had specifically ordered lillies, to be delivered on Tuesday. (Lillies were heavily featured in her theme.) The company substituted other flowers and delivered them on FRIDAY. Let's see, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. You can imagine the shape the flowers were in on wedding day. The company refused to give a refund, reship, or provide any relief. (Does that remind you of any National Nonsense Association?r)

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/23/08 10:14pm
Msg #252683

I always call my favourite local florist for flowers here. If I need to send flowers out of town or out of state I will find a florist in the area I need the flowers delivered and call and talk to the florist personally. Many a time it is cheaper so you get more flowers for the money and you can make sure the florist has what you need.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/23/08 10:34pm
Msg #252684

And buy with your credit card so that you may challenge the order if need be.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/23/08 10:37pm
Msg #252685

As a wedding officiant, why do you not have a network of suppliers lined up for all the ancillaries?

Why on earth would a bride order flowers via the internet? If the bride had an officiant that was prepared for these mishaps, the officiant could have saved the day and been paid for it.

Ernest, you're missing a HUGE opportunity here.

Reply by Tony_FL on 6/24/08 11:00am
Msg #252713

Becca,

For the last 3 weddings that I have performed, it seems that "I" was the LAST thing to be sought out after, by the bride. I am finding more and more that the "officiant" is last.

I don't know WHY more and more young women seem to think that they can wait until the absolute very last minute and then expect to find an officiant to perform the ceremony. I had one call me early last week (Monday or Tuesday) saying that she was getting married & having her reception at the Ramada Inn on Saturday; and wanted to know if I could perform the ceremony and how much would it be.

I find this is happening more and more frequently. That's why I charge a non-refundable security deposit to hold the date for a wedding.

Tony

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 12:33pm
Msg #252722

Officiant, last thing thought of???

I market my services as a turnkey wedding service in my area, not just as an officiant. I frequently get people who all of a sudden want to get married because they find our area so attractive and romantic. I have a quick list of services (for which I get a referral fee) for an almost instant wedding.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/24/08 5:10pm
Msg #252774

I guess I have been lucky because I don't get many last minute requests. Most of the people that call me are looking for a simple beach wedding. By having ancillary services available, I am able to up sell the most couples and turn a simple wedding into a memorable wedding. For couples looking for more elaborate ceremonies, I refer them to an event coordinator that I work with...I even have a deal with a local beach resort.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/23/08 11:18pm
Msg #252687

I've had great luck with ProFlowers

Their prices are really reasonable, the flowers last forever and look fantastic, everyone I've sent them to has always loved them.

Conversely, I'll never order from ftd.com or 1-800-flowers.com again. I had sent to several family members on Xmas a couple of years ago, they all received these rinky dink arrangements that would cost about $25 at the grocery store florist. Except they were all $60-$70 and supposedly the deluxe version of the arrangements. I can only imagine what the regular version looked like.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/24/08 6:14am
Msg #252703

I'm thinking I'd get familiar with Sam's Club's offerings here and offer those flowers for a mark-up if I had a wedding business.

Thanks for the warning, though, Ernest. If you read the fine print on these sites (where you order flowers) they always do reserve the right to substitute flowers...in my experience.

Reply by Gary_CA on 6/24/08 9:00am
Msg #252708

A great tip to spend too much money on perfect flowers...

Read this in one of those "money is no object" magazines (so far I can still afford the magazine), makes perfect sense, but will not find you the cheapest solution...

Instead of using FTD or the web or whatever, call the stuffiest hotel in the town you want the flowers sent to, ask for the concierge and the name of the local florist the hotel uses.

They'll know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.